Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Vegetable gardens Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Anyone have a vegetable garden blog or pictures of any fruit or veggie growing in their yard...porch...or house you'd share?

I would love love love to see anything your growing. I don't mind if it's a simple, one container garden. I enjoy looking at what can grow even in the smallest of spaces.

Please share here. Yes, I will look at every blog posted or PMd to me.   

Thank you!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

How funny! I was just admiring our vegetable and flower gardens on how pretty they looked and was about to take pictures. You've given me the push to do it. I'll be back soon!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

I like this one -
a number of things.

There's been quite a few veggie related posts.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I don't have any pictures of it currently, I'll get you one...as soon as the rain stops. THe corn looks awful (corn borers did a number on every row), but the cukes, watermelons, and pumpkins look good. The beans are sketchy. LOL

Would you like a few pictures of my birds free ranging in the yard? I've got 24 chickens, 2 ducks, and 2 geese that free range during the day. We'll have another 24 or so that will be able to free range in another couple of weeks, once they are a bit bigger. WE've also got 3 goslings that are kept in the tractors all the time, til they are big enough to range like the others...it'll be a while, even though they are growing very fast.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here you go, Michaela! July Check on the Vegetable Garden.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Oh fun!!

I just took pictures this afternoon so I'll buzz off and download them!!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

juststartn wrote:

Would you like a few pictures of my birds free ranging in the yard?   

Ha! I've been wondering if you have a blog or a place to see your chickens. I got a little too excited when I saw the pic you uploaded on another thread with your tractor. I was convinced you must have a blog that I just can't get to.   

Yes, I would love to see what's growing in your garden. It's so interesting to see the different stages the gardens are. Our pumpkin plant probably isn't far enough along. I had four watermelon plants, but Teresa ripped up three and some critter ate the fourth.

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Kristie 4 wrote:
I just took pictures this afternoon so I'll buzz off and download them!!

Thanks for taking time to help me with this obsession I have to see vegetable gardens!   

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 10 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Michaela -

This is our garden a couple of weeks ago. It's looking cheery and healthy...and then... horn worms moved in almost overnight!    Our entire crop of tomatoes have been destroyed. They're gone. Nothing but the stems left. We tried to pull them off, even the cardinals and mockingbirds helped us, but to no avail. There were too many and they kept coming back! The children are devastated at the loss of their tenderly cared for gardens. Next year, we net!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2008 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh Jenn--We had hornworms last year...devastating! We are quite healthy this year. I picked two zucchini this week as large as my forearm, have a basket full of 15 cukes to use up before we pick again Saturday, added wax beans to our lo mein last night, and am making salsa with tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and banana pepper from the garden today. We harvested three eggplant earlier this week too. Melons, not so sure will come up, I think the zucchini overpowered them. Corn looks healthy, we've got silks and small husks on almost every stalk. Bell peppers are slower, but last year they produced until frost, so that's okay.
MIchaela--I'll try to post some pics today.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Eww, haven't ever seen hornworms, but they look and sound disgusting! So netting the garden will keep them out? Would you have to do it all year? I was thinking of putting a covering over mine this year.

I did do a plastic fence for the first month or so to keep out the rabbits on the tender little plants.

Last year I had blossom end rot on my tomatoes because of the deluge rain at the beginning of the season and then the drought. I made sure I added my calcium/magnesium this year after we got so many rains, and so far things look okay. Japanese beetles should be arriving on my basil sometime soon...and we're ready. I kept picking them off and drowning them in some soapy water (Fels-Naptha). But last year I kept the full saucer out by the plants. Not sure if there was a connection, but I had fewer beetles to kill after that.

I hate pests and diseases...it's so hard for the children to understand!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Digressing a bit, but how do you satisfy the constant urge to keep planting and digging in the little ones? The favorite part of gardening is the planting seeds and plants with my son.

My son wants to keep planting new flowers so he can play in the dirt. We have an area he can dig and play to his heart's content, but he wants it to be fruitful digging, with plants and flowers. We have been adding sale plants to different areas of the yard. I didn't take pictures of our front garden, which is the "cottage garden" look, with different varieties of lavender fragrantly waving in the breeze, but it's conducive for spontaneous planting.

He's decided he'd like to plant flowers under the raised deck and it's been fun to discuss logistics with him. We'll do some planting there next week.

But just wondering what do you do?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 10 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Digressing a bit, but how do you satisfy the constant urge to keep planting and digging in the little ones? The favorite part of gardening is the planting seeds and plants with my son.

Buy lots of seeds in the spring and let him go to town? Sunflowers would be beneficial, especially since you can dry them and save them to use over winter. Maybe find a lovely little plant that will do well in shade and search out plenty of seeds for it?

I gave up having pretty manicured gardens. My 7 yo loves to plant and he does so with gusto. He planted 4o'clocks one year and they multiply rapidly! Side note for you: make sure whatever he plants you're ok with its spreading and re-seeding properties. I say embrace the cottage garden look with...more plantings!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

websterm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 10 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote websterm

This was my first year planting vegetables...I have always done flowers only in the past. So far I Love it!
I have some pictures on this blog
My Thoughts While Learning
and a photo of the pickels I made from our cucumbers..I am such a garden nerd on this blog
On My Mind

Marcia
Back to Top View websterm's Profile Search for other posts by websterm Visit websterm's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2008 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Mackfam wrote:
horn worms moved in almost overnight!    Our entire crop of tomatoes have been destroyed. They're gone. Nothing but the stems left.

I had to search exactly what a horn worm looks like.      If I would have seen them, I would have thought caterpillar. I have seen a couple of adults, especially now that we have a pool...they come to drink. My kids find them (the adults) and save the from drowning!
I'm so sorry that happened to your tomatoes. That is heartbreaking.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version