Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Catholic Treasure Box Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 05 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Connections

Can someone tell me what these look like? What they contain and the level you recommend them for? I have not been able to find any online sample pages.

I have a 6 and 7 year old. I would be sharing them as read alouds, but they also read independently. After recently reverting to the Church, I am just now introducing them to the Faith. I have recently purchased the Marigold Hunt books (all 4), Catholic Bible Stories for Children by Ann Ball, The Mass Book for Children by Rosemarie Gortler, Loyola Kids Book of Heroes, Once Upon a Time Saints, More Once Upon a Time Saints, and a Child's Book of Prayer in Art. We also plan to use the Catholic Mosaic books (hopefully from the library mostly) and I have The Year and Our Children to help plan for the Litergical Year.

After looking at Loyola Kids Book of Heroes, I also plan to order the Loyola Kids Book of Saints.

Funds are a concern. By understanding more what Catholic Treasure Box is, I hope to figure out if I need them.

Any other ideas or advice is very welcome!

Blessings,
Tracey
Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Tracey,
I can't recommend the Treasure Boxes highly enough. We have used them as read-alouds beginning at around age 4 and then once the kids are reading on their own, they ALWAYS pick them up and revisit them learning more and enjoying the stories all over again. We have the 20 volume set and I believe allcatholicbooks.com has a very good price on them.

I've got a tired baby who needs me or I'd give you a brief review but check out Alicia's great Catholic review site--they have a detailed review that I agree with completely:

Catholic Treasure Box Review

PM me with your email address and I'd be happy to scan a page or two to show you what they look like inside.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I echo what Jennifer said. I love the quaint old fashioned stories - without a hint of political correctness. The interest starts around age 4 - and my kids revisit these again and again!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

My daughter is almost 6 and I just introduced them to her. She loves them and wants to read them or look at them all the time.

The ones we've read begin with a quaint life story of St. Therese from the time she was a little infant. The pictures are vintage and precious and they mangage at the end of every story to weave a faith activity so that your child can imitate St. Therese.

Then there's usually a very simple craft, game or riddle.

Next comes the story of Wupsi, a guardian angel sent to look after an African tribal boy. This story is great for learning the Faith. We've learned about guardian angels, the importance and reason for baptism, why God allows bad things to happen for our good, Satan (but not in a scary way). Sometimes, to get the child even more excited and engaged in the story they will do part of it as a rebus (where children say the picture and the adults read the story). Bernadette loves this.

There's also a section in the beginning for the parents that explain what the child will be learning and how to incorporate it into our lives.

It's very vintage, sweet and engaging.

I hope some of this helps.
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

We too love the Treasure Box books. The quiet games they suggest are still played with my little guys, especially "Where Does the Tailor Live". The poems about how NOT to behave make great copy work for children who behave in a similar manner!

I love the stories of the White Fathers! I had a friend who was a White Sister for a time and she has shared some beautiful stories with us from her time in Africa. I brought these books to her once and she just loved them! Many White Fathers and Sisters were martyred in Africa.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 08 2008 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I didn't know that, Maddie (about the White Fathers and Sisters martyred in Africa.) I'm going to send up a little prayer for them every time we open our books now.

Tracey - We love the Treasure Box books here! They're well suited to a preschool age group. I'm not sure how your 6 and 7 yo would feel about them. My 7 and 11 yo still pile on the couch to hear them read to the 3 yo even though the older two have memorized the stories and poems by now. They're quite gentle. If your children really love being read to, I think these are perfect. If you're looking for more of an independent read for an emerging reader, this might not be what you're looking for.

I read them in the morning during my family devotion hour. Our favorite is always the sweet story of St. Therese!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

My ds 4 and dd 3 LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these books. Especially the wupsy stories and the poems on the back covers! Not trying to take over your thread, but I am wondering where to go from here and what should be next?
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

I always mean to buy this. I think we will this year for christmas. Thanks for reminding me.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

We fell in love with St. Therese with these books. You all are reminding me of books on my shelves that were so constant at one time and NEED to be revisited...it's been a few months and time to take them out again!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2008 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Connections

Thanks, everyone- for the opinions, descriptions, scanned pages and link!

I do believe we cannot pass these up!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version