Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Once the planning is done... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 04 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

I have my general plans for the year. I have my big picture. I have written down guiding principles to take us through our HSing years.

And yet, I am consistently reviewing and researching. I find myself dotting my "i's" and crossing my "t's."

I think I have the intentional planning down.

The intentional HSing day in and day out is the greater challenge. Spurts are easy. Focused attention I can give... followed shortly after (usually when DH is around for the weekend) by some form of rethinking and revisiting and researching!

While I do genuinely enjoy researching educational philosophies and discovering great new living books, I can't help but wonder if I keep reviewing and revisiting as a means of escaping some of the execution.

Can anyone else relate to this? Is all of this just part of the process? Anyone have any advice?

Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

I will just say that I love to plan. I am a planner. I fall short in the execution!

I am like this with alot of things. Homemaking routines are one example. Even when I worked (as a CPA) I loved the "planning" stage of an audit. I loved sitting in my cubicle in December typing up the audit programs for my "busy season" audits. Actually doing the audits I dreaded!

I love books. I use Library Thing to catalog my book list. It is over 3300 books! Will I (or we) ever read that many books? I have read hundreds of them, but do I really need to input into Library Thing every single reading list I come across? Probably not. Do I do it? Yes, in spurts. It is a form of procrastination.

So it is something I struggle with. Not helping matters any is that dh tends to be the same way!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I've found that when I continue researching about decisions already made, it tends to be because I am nervous about the execution. I find that if I look over the material I am presenting several times and think about how I want to do it, my time is better occupied. And the more years I've taught the kids, the less this happens.

When I worry about perserverance, I like to think about this verse:

"It's not that I have already reached this goal or have already become perfect. But I keep pursuing it, hoping somehow to embrace it just as I have been embraced by the Messiah Jesus." Phil 3:12 (ISV)

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Connections wrote:

Can anyone else relate to this?

Yes

Connections wrote:

Is all of this just part of the process?

Well, it's part of my process - although I would like to change it . What the other poster mentioned it absolutely true for me....for me, it is a form of procrastination. I realized a while ago that I love to plan. I really don't 'like' to teach, if I am honest. I love to learn! I just do not love to teach. So, I have to work through that every. single. time.

Connections wrote:

Anyone have any advice?

I wish I did. I am hoping you get some so I will be able ti use it too
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Connections wrote:
The intentional HSing day in and day out is the greater challenge. Spurts are easy. Focused attention I can give... followed shortly after (usually when DH is around for the weekend) by some form of rethinking and revisiting and researching!

I just wanted to say I can relate.   I have most of the year planned out now, but I know I will hit glitches during the actual process of implementing.   I can't think of a way to iron these out ahead of time, so I'm just trying to work on some sort of "Plan B" for those days when the normal schedule isn't working.

I am also trying to journal a bit about my vision for WHY I am planning the way I am.   With my temperament, when I hit road blocks I am very likely to doubt my entire way of operating. So I'm hoping that writing a few notes to my "future self" will help me get back my imaginative energy on those not-so-good days.

I'm glad you brought up the topic since I am SO at the same stage right now.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 05 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Since I am not alone in this... I thought it would be great to brainstorm ideas about how to prevent and/or counter this when it starts happening.

-So far, from another thread, I was reminded of the need to focus on my family and not compare myself to the Jonses' of the HSing world (as this often starts me off on my revisiting and researching). And to pray about what is right for us.

-Rachel suggested we review the plans we have already made. This makes a lot of sense. Whether we are nervous about the execution or start rethinking the plans for other reasons, starting off by reviewing what we already have is a great idea.

-Laura's post and AllegienceMom's post make me think that sometimes we have to "just do it." Perhaps when we start rethinking the plans we should simply grab a book from the book basket and start reading aloud. Go start that math lesson or grab an art book and do an informal picture study. You get the idea. Action, instead of planning.

-Along the lines of action, I could benefit from simply sitting down and playing with my boys when I start to want to research or change the program.

-One thing Willa mentioned is to journal "why" she laid out plans the way she did. I am a big fan of journaling to remind myself of things. I just need to remember to refer to my own journaling!

-Along the lines of journaling, I have written down guiding principles for our home and educational path. I need to revisit these first before starting to research and revise (which I do not do right now). If what we are doing is consistent with our guiding principles (and, on the whole, it is working), then I should not change it and I can go ahead and play with the boys or knit or clean the house, etc. instead of researching more!

-Maybe when we find we want to research and revise the plans, we could start by reflecting and journaling WHY we need to research and revisit the plans. Then, if there really is someting that needs changing, we can focus on the "problem" that needs to be researched instead of questioning ourselves (for no good reason).

-Willa also mentions developing a Plan "B" for the days when the normal schedule is not working. This is a great way to make sure we don't rush off to change the entire plan just because of a bad day or two.

-I need to find a way to read all the inspiring blogs and posts of others without it leading me to reinvent our days! Any ideas about how to do this? Maybe an idea notebook where I simply jot down those ideas for future reference. I read about (probably while researching) others doing this.

-Share the WHY of our plans with my husband. That way he can remind me of the WHY when I start to question.

Please add more ideas as you have them!

Thanks, Tracey

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

One post that really helped me was this one that I read last night

Less Is More- school planning

It helped me to steer away from using too much time over the nitty gritty of which books etc. and take a fresh focus of my children, their habits, etc.

(I also research to escape execution- often happens on those bad days!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

amethyst
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote amethyst

allegiance_mom wrote:
I will just say that I love to plan. I am a planner. I fall short in the execution!

I'm like this too - in fact, I have heard this same thing from *many* homeschooling mothers over the years.

I know that I have made some great school-year plans in the past, but when the bumps and potholes of life disrupt my plans I tend to go back to the drawing board and make a new plan, which inspires me to start over - but now I wish I'd pushed through more often and stuck with the original ideas.
Homeschooling is about more than planning, but boy, I love that planning!

Elizabeth's Rosaries
Back to Top View amethyst's Profile Search for other posts by amethyst Visit amethyst's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

allegiance_mom wrote:

This was the point I was trying to make in this thread. It isn't that I don't love to plan. I do. I even feel compelled to think that it's a natural prerequisite for hsing moms.

The reason I stopped full-fledged "planning" briefly is because my executions never "looked" like my written plans. That was disappointing...and disillusioning.

My dh is always telling me to (KISS) Keep It Simple, Sweetheart...and I do try.

Even now my "plans" are very simple. I have a "simple" sheet with the subject breakdown and the booklist. And if I take that list out of my purse during Adoration something is invariably added to it. And the list gets longer...and, thus, more unrealistic.

Chances are I will find myself at some point this month...at the Children's Museum, at the swimming pool, or here in the house while the children play outside...with a "moment" and inspiration will hit me and I'll develop a full, fun "plan". And I know that's fine. And, yes, it's helpful. But I must remember to remind myself that just as we shouldn't keep our eyes on someone else's work and plans, neither should we keep our eyes too much on our plans and not on our children and the natural learning learning that life-outside-the-boxed-plans offers them abundantly and wisely well.

I so much rather look back on blog posts such as this one where perhaps only two things were planned and know that it all happened than at the paper plans that looked great but didn't happen.

Don't misunderstand me. I do have those plans because often I am sitting by the pool or at the Children's Museum or at the park and I always have paper and books on hand. But, really, it's always "my" plans rather than "their" plans. Isn't it?

The benefits of planning though or many. A couple weekends ago my dh and I went on an Ignatian retreat. Have I mentioned that I even collect the schedules of monastic communities? I really do love planning. And I realized how I thrive and crave the daily schedule these Ignatian retreats give me. I carry that little yellow card around in my current book and look at it often and I know exactly when rest time is and when the rosary is and when the Stations are. And the day is so full and complete and beautifully laid out. And it doesn't feel rigorous at all!

The speakers also mentioned rules set by Stephen R. Covey more than once. Having had a conversation with Willa a few years back about his "7 Habits of Highly Effective Families", I came home and went in search of it. This past week I've been reading snatches of it. Kind of priming the school pump.

I understand this post might sound contradicting and perhaps that's where the misunderstanding comes in. But the fact is simple. The adult in me loves the planning. I am in charge of a busy household, thus I feel the need to be in control. But the child in me loves the fact that life is an adventure and should be embraced fully, completely, joyfully, jubilantly, and with a free spirit. Life, to a degree, is contradicting.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Cay Gibson wrote:
I understand this post might sound contradicting and perhaps that's where the misunderstanding comes in. But the fact is simple. The adult in me loves the planning. I am in charge of a busy household, thus I feel the need to be in control. But the child in me loves the fact that life is an adventure and should be embraced fully, completely, joyfully, jubilantly, and with a free spirit. Life, to a degree, is contradicting.

I love this, Cay. And needed to read it this morning too. Thanks.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Cay's reference to KISS and simple plans really resonates with me. I am beginning to see planning- for me- as defining the minimums. I am trying to focus on less is more. That leaves lots of time for MORE of life and the organic learning that accompanies it. As long as I have defined the minimums, I can truly enjoy the MORE when it happens.

BTW, filling my book baskets with suggestions from Cay's wonderful book,A Picture Perfect Childhood along with revisiting Elizabeth's Real Learning has helped me KISS!

I have to remind myself (often) not to make it more difficult than it needs to be. I believe Elizabeth started one of her talks from the Real learning conference with that very idea.

It reminds me of Faith- it really is simple. So why do I find myself making it more complicated than it needs to be? All the while my children approach life with a level of observation and simplicity that brings them such joy. It even allows them to do things like make a circus out of household items (something I am listening to them do right now). I think I will go get a ticket to the show...

Blessings,
Tracey

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Wanted to share. I'm re-energizing myself on some of Angie's posts:

Discipline During Exceptions

Having a Cushioned Routine. it! (Angie uses some "simple standards" to "gauge her routine" and shares these simple standard questions with us.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Willa

A piggyback question -- maybe should have a thread of its own?   

How do you KNOW when the planning is done?

It's odd -- in past years I knew the planning was done because I ran out of time Now that my kids are older and I have a bit more spare time, how do I get to the point where I say "good enough"?

Any tips on that? What tells you that you are "done planning" for the year? (I'm sure it varies from person to person).

Tracey said "big picture, general plans, guiding principles". That probably sums up the basics. Is there anything else?

Take Up and Read

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Willa wrote:

Contradictory Cay here...
Willa, I don't think the planning ever ends. Honestly. Truthfully! My planning is day by day, then week by week, then month by month, then year by year. Our school "plans" will change before Sept. 1st, I promise you.

We have cousins visiting from Houston and Lafayette this week. The sleepover, coming, going, movies, swimming, haircuts, games plans have changed at least a dozen times since Sunday night. And I'm the one in charge of the kids! Double .

I know this has nothing to do with school but bear with me. It's life...

My point is that life changes, people change, and plans definitely change.

Willa wrote:
What tells you that you are "done planning" for the year? (I'm sure it varies from person to person).

Again, not to contradict your points, Willa, but you're right. It varies from person to person, family to family, child to child, year to year, season to season.

Remember when we talked about seasons? Viewing our planning as seasonal is what makes it a thing of beauty and delight.

I could go into a whole analogy of that but, Willa, you've already written beautifully about this and I know those threads are there.

Besides, I have no more time to sit and "plan" anything. The children have finished pottying, changing into swimsuits, and snacking. They are ready to enjoy this season of freedom from schedules. It's a week of fun in the sun with their cousins. And I'm enjoying it with them.

Perhaps late tonight (or by the pool) I'll have some "me" time to indulge in more catalogs and book plans and thoughts because I think I'm like so many of you .

But for now...let's fly! Life is too short not to enjoy the good moments and all the beautiful opportunities God offers us today.

mom to 5

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Willa wrote:

If I keep revisiting and revising the plans, are they EVER done?

On a practical level, I take the monthly topics and book lists (what I refer to as my general plans) and then actually plan the reading, etc. week-by-week. So again, I guess I am never actually done with the planning. Maybe I should not have entitled the original post, "Once the planning is done..."

Blessings,
Tracey

amethyst
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote amethyst

Cay Gibson wrote:
But the child in me

Cay, I read those 5 little words and I discovered something about myself!

I know why I plan (and plan and plan and plan ) - it's because *I* want to do all those things. I wish I'd had all these learning opportunities growing up and I think I try to have them now through my children's education. I'm reschooling with them, but as an adult I can do way more and read way more so my plans are always overflowing with great things that don't get done by the kids.
I even did Ambleside year 7 years ago because I wanted the experience, but at the time I thought I was pre-reading for one of my children who may have done it years later.

I need to go off and pray about this...I feel like St Paul when the scales fell from his eyes and he understood the Truth.

Elizabeth's Rosaries
Back to Top View amethyst's Profile Search for other posts by amethyst Visit amethyst's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

As I read this thread I keep thinking of a quote I read somewhere and it's bugging me because I can't remember where. But it was something to the affect of "Pope (???) once said that in trying to do it all on a grand scale, they missed the most important things".
I really messed up that quote, but it's a great discription of me . Instead of just having my dc read a book and discuss it casually, I think I have to plan all these great lap books or other projects. It becomes so overwhelming I don't do it all, but the planning was sure fun! For me it's a sort of mortification to keep the plans simple and actually follow through with them!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

italianalaskan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 09 2008 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote italianalaskan

I hear ya Becky!!!!
This year I really want to focus on simple but well executed.

Simona
Back to Top View italianalaskan's Profile Search for other posts by italianalaskan

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Well, Voltaire said that "the best is the enemy of the good." Charlotte Mason quoted that.... making the point that we can paralyze ourselves in a quest for perfection.

I think this is part of what I think of as "Plan B" (I almost typed "Plan Be" and maybe that was a subconscious slip.   

I think planning can be a good thing.   Cay mentioned the Ignatian retreats -- Ignatius, in his Spiritual Exercises, structured things very carefully, trying to "scaffold" our attempts to make progress in spiritual things. He wasn't trying to replace grace, but to support its workings by providing an order and goals.

But I, personally, have to watch out that my plans don't replace the workings of learning.   I hope that it doesn't sound irreverent to make an analogy between "grace" and "the child's learning process".

So that's where the "Plan Be" comes in for me -- it is a reality check, the "bottom line" of how I want my family to function.   Since I've been hsing for so many years, I have seen that what really WORKED in the long run was the basic habits and traditions in my family.   The conversations, the reading, the music, the nature expeditions, the laughter and reflections and learning from mistakes.

Whether we got through X math book, or purchased Y curriculum, really mattered a lot less in the big picture than these basic family "Ways".   So when I'm feeling that we are getting either over-stuffed with "too much", too many things flying at us in the way of subjects, activities, plans--- or else that "starved" feeling of envying/feeling wistful about what other homeschools are accomplishing or purchasing.... then I return to those Plan B for "basics, bottom line, being" that help us restore our balance (another B -- LOL).

Thanks you all for helping me see that planning is a journey, an ongoing commitment rather than something we cross off our "to-do" list     

Tracey, I said this once before, but I really can relate to your thinking process -- thanks for asking such good questions and bringing out such wise answers from Cay and others

Take Up and Read

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version