Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Anyone want to join me in... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 02 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I have been using babyfit.com to track nutrition and exercise. It is made for pregnancy, but I have adapted it for anything. It is free and gives you incentive points for doing things like drinking eight glasses of water a day or actually logging in your food, etc. I have had fun with it.

And, thanks Vanna for your latest post. I had a great laugh WITH you.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Is it too late to join? I'm still fighting off postpartum weight and have been having a hard time getting motivated. I have a plan for food, but could use some inspiration to exercise. I've got three munchkins 5 and under and dh's job hours are not regular, which makes it hard for me to say, "I'm going to walk every day at xx time" and stick with it. How can I exercise with baby, toddler and 5 yr old and still get some benefit out of it?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I'm not in charge but I don't think July 2 should be too late to join I am grateful to have my husband available at somewhat odd hours to help, so I don't have advice for you.

Yesterday evening we got in a second walk, so just about 2 miles and 1 hour 3 minutes of walking yesterday! This morning, only 22 minutes, 3/4 of a mile. The forecast is for a high of 91 but maybe in the late evening it will be agreeable for another walk.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 04 2008 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hey...this is really helping! I haven't missed a day yet - sure its only July 3rd but I'll celebrate the moment (especially since I won't be exercising tomorrow AND I'll be eating picnic food all day - yum!)

This morning I thought to offer up my exercise time for the intentions of my son, who is choosing to train more seriously as an athlete, and for my dh who is recovering from knee surgery and needs to find substitute activities for running which he has been advised to no longer do . Their efforts all make my whining about a 1/2 exercise video seem kinda silly.

Praying for you all!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 04 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote monique

Bookswithtea wrote:
   I've got three munchkins 5 and under and dh's job hours are not regular, which makes it hard for me to say, "I'm going to walk every day at xx time" and stick with it. How can I exercise with baby, toddler and 5 yr old and still get some benefit out of it?

I'm in the same boat. I never know when my husband will be here or when he won't. I have a double stroller that I put the littlest two in and the rest either walk with me or ride their bikes. I had to find a way to exercise. I find it is so important for me and my sanity. Sometimes I do get lazy though and don't want to take out all 5 kids. I do try to make it a priority to go out when dh is here to watch everyone. He is very supportive.

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Yesterday I totaled about 45 minutes and 1.45 miles in two almost-equal walks. This morning, 36 minutes and 1.08 miles. It's sticky out, there may be storms later, and we won't want to go walking if anyone nearby is setting off firecrackers/fireworks tonight.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

monique wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I never know when my husband will be here or when he won't. I have a double stroller that I put the littlest two in and the rest either walk with me or ride their bikes. I had to find a way to exercise. I find it is so important for me and my sanity.

Dumb question for you...are you walking fast enough to get your heartrate up? I'm afraid if I bring the whole gang with me, we'll end up *strolling* instead of exercising, which is why I've never done it before. I've also thought about putting the baby on my back in the Ergo, but I'm not sure how fast I can walk that way and if it would be a bad way to exercise...Sigh...this is such a stressful thing to me. I really want to get out there, but the thought of the whole thing being frustrated is discouraging...

~Books

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Books,
Your question was funny to me. A lot of times we go for a walk for the dog-with kids. The kids stop to smell the roses, chase frogs, whatever, and our poor dog(who should be getting the exercise)ends up getting a great big "stand" on her leash by my side Her heart rate does not get up at all.
I have found that paved bike trails don't hold a lot of interest for the kids, they just want to go-and fast, so I can get some exercise there. Not around our neighborhood though.
I do think just getting out, even if the heart rate doesn't get up, has it's benefits. Keep on trying!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 04 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote monique

Bookswithtea wrote:

Dumb question for you...are you walking fast enough to get your heartrate up?

Um, yeah I think so. We walk on a bike path but we do have to walk several blocks to get there. My 11,9, and 6 year old usually take their bikes so they are super fast. I can't keep up. Pushing the double stroller with two littles is quite the workout. Especially with the hills, etc. There are days though that we have the fights about who is taking what equipment (we also have a stroller and some tricycles) and then there are the days where we do have to stop for various reasons but I really have to get out of this house and enjoy the outdoors. Sometimes I do get discouraged, like you do and figure why bother. For awhile I wasn't going unless my dh was home. I do prefer to go by myself and listen to my ipod but some exercise is better then none!   

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 04 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

I am so in on this!

Today I walked the town parade with my 2 cub scouts...3.5 miles. Later I said to dh, "boy, I'd probably lose weight if I did this kind of walk every other day!" duh....

But, like Books, I have a couple of littles. But here's the sad part...we have a nice tread mill in the basement! Now, who can't find 20-30 minutes in their day to at least get on the thing! (me! )

One strange health incentive was not being able to afford health insurance for myself. I now have just a short-term catastrophic plan (dh and kids are covered, but with a HUGE deductible) so I am even more motivated to stay healthy!

I need to lose 20. I'd love to lose 30, but that's a little unrealistic at 41! BTW, when is the official cut-off for post-partum pudgies? Is 14m still okay?

cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

cornomama4 wrote:
BTW, when is the official cut-off for post-partum pudgies? Is 14m still okay?

cm4

As far as I'm concerned, its 2 yrs. The first year after a baby is survival mode, and the second year is for finishing off losing the weight.

~Books

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 05 2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Bookswithtea wrote:
cornomama4 wrote:
BTW, when is the official cut-off for post-partum pudgies? Is 14m still okay?

cm4

As far as I'm concerned, its 2 yrs. The first year after a baby is survival mode, and the second year is for finishing off losing the weight.

I agree wholeheartedly! And when the two year old already has two little brothers, Mom simply gets a free pass, right? Because that becomes post-partum pudgies times three!!!

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

.8 miles in 28 minutes for me tonight.

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

RamFam wrote:
Bookswithtea wrote:
[QUOTE=cornomama4]BTW, when is the official cut-off for post-partum pudgies? Is 14m still okay?

cm4

Uh-oh! I am still trying to get off the weight from my 10yo! I guess I'd better kick it into gear then! BTW, I did my first 30 minute walk tonight and I feel pretty darn good about it. As of yesterday morning, I have 45 pounds to lose, so I need to step this up!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

Vanna
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Vanna

The post-partum pudgies cut off can't be 2 years because mine is almost 3 years old....um, yeah...I think if the kid is driving, then maybe that's the cut off. My mom still blames me though....so maybe it never ends. LOL

OK. So I had a terrible time getting in my Ballet workout so I created what I will call Animals on Parade workout. Me and my two year old acted out different animal walks up and down the hallway...each animal got 10 laps through the house.

We did Bear crawl, the crab walk, the froggy hop (that one about killed me), the bunny hop (very hard also), the elephant walk (my 12 year old witnessed this one and asked if I was supposed to be a sumo-wrestler...he's lucky I don't believe in violence LOL) the snake walk, and a Russian dancer walk (not an animal but very effective move).

The next day, I was so sore. I thought I would die. Truly. I'm going to try to do this several times a week. The baby LOVED it.

As far as the diet goes....not good. I had my fair share of 4th of July BBQ. It would have been UnAmerican to say no, right? lol

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote monique

I got my walk in Saturday but not yesterday.

I didn't really enjoy the 4th bbq stuff but the sweets are what I can never do without!

I've been throwing a little running/jogging in and haven't gotten too sore--maybe I should try those moves your doing, Vanna!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

It is so, so humid out lately. We almost took a walk last night but it looked like a thunderstorm was coming so instead I played checkers and Memory with the kids and, well, my husband baked cookies. (We are being restrained about consuming the product though!) I feel like I'm losing some resolve -- it's 11:15 a.m., 79 degrees, feels like 81, with 66% humidity. May have to try that indoor marching music idea instead.

ETA: We did go for a walk today -- approx. 1.06 miles in 34 minutes.

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

I have gotten in my walk the last 2 nights and will definitely go out tonight as long as it is not storming. If it is storming, I will be joining Leslie Sansome in my family room for a walk! My kids are joining me one by one on my walks and it is so nice to have alone time with them!

I have a question about jogging, for those of you who may have some insight. Can one just start jogging, or is it best to ease into by walking for a while. I have found that the walking is hurting my shins and calves, but in the past, jogging has not hurt. I am stretching after my walks, making sure to focus on my lower legs, but they still hurt. So, how to I take the leap into jogging?

Blessings,
Betsie

ETA: Do any of you have a really good podometer? The last one I had didn't really do a good job.

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Betsie, my husband has a jogging routine that I start from time to time. It is supposed to take you from scratch to a marathon. You begin my walking 90 seconds then jogging 60 seconds, repeat 8 times. Do this three times over the next week, then the following week shorten walking to 60 seconds. I will have to get him to give me the full plan. I can give it to you or post it, if anyone is interested.

Vanna, hilarious!!! and great idea! Maybe we'll try that today because as Theresa says it's hot and muggy!

Yesterday our family got a 5 1/2 mile walk in. We decided to visit the Smithsonian Folk Festival and the only parking we found was at the National Cemetery. We had a blast and everyone slept well last night!

And thanks, Theresa, for the walkjogrun.com! I have been having fun with it.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Ok, I'm in...and 7 months pregnant...
seriously! I have been losing weight this whole pregnancy...what a change of pace for me.

I have been eating as optimally as I can and taking enzymes with my food and a pre-natal with enzymes in it...it helps loads!

I have also been walking 3.8 + miles a day with dh as soon as it is cool enough for us to walk,..the walks make me feel great. I have other pregnancy complaints (insomnia) that I would rather do without but! If I don't walk the insomnia is worse.

I HAD to keep my weight down because I have the accumulated weights from a few pregnancies that I never was able to shed. Since I am fond of breathing I am so into this. I go to the midwife on Wed...unless they cancel. The last time I was down 8 lbs in 6 weeks! woo hoo! I hope I can say that I have lost a few this time around. I really thing the walks help tremendously for my pregnant metabolism...

ok...of to save the world from the miniature people that resemble me and dh...lol!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc + one more due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version