Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: I need some creative storage ideas... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2008 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I did it! Not that you asked, mind you, but I wish I knew how to upload pictures because my hall closet is so pretty I keep grinning from ear to ear. I have to tell somebody, and dh was only mildly interested.

Dh kindly said he would take the maps in one of his storage spots, and I moved the liturgical bin stuff elsewhere. I was able to move all the extra soaps and body care stuff to the hall closet, and since it was time anyway to buy new towels (its been *years*) I cleaned those out and now have room in my one linen cupboard for the new towels (less) and for a securely lidded box for my older dc to put their razors, etc! The old towels are moving into dh's garage (he said it was ok since they'll be used to wash cars etc). I had a field day with the only computer gadget I own and love...my labelmaker!

I decided that we don't all need two sets of sheets, just dh and I, so I found space in each bedroom to store off season sheets. I was even able to make room for some of those odds and ends that were creeping into bins where they don't belong...like the animal's Frontline and extension cords!

I emptied one of our cedar chests and put the games in there where they can be accessed more easily so that I can put my homeschool closet back together today. The tablecloths and extra bedding from the cedar chest either went into a rubbermaid for storage or in a bag to donate. I generally only use tablecloths when I host a big family get together because my littles pull them off the table.

Since it wasn't about dejunking as much as it was about moving things around, it turns out the key is asking myself, "How much access do I really need to this." If its not at least once a month, then it needs to go into one of my longer term storage areas (I have plenty of space for that).

And in consideration of Lisa's thoughts, I allowed myself one good sized bin for extra body care, and that's it. If its full, then no stocking up until we have the room for it. While I agree with Amy D (from Tightwad Gazetted) that buying in bulk is the most economical, I do not own an enormous farmhouse with an attached barn. She has no storage issues and I do, so I think rather than not stocking up at all, I need to just put some limits on stocking up.

I feel like I fit into our home again...and I even have some space to spare now. Aaahhhhhhhhhhh...I'm a minimalist by nature. It feels so good! Thanks to you all for the encouragement.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Books - we have been doing some heavy duty reorganization around here too (I am so exhausted by it!) - I will take some pictures later this month. When I get fed up I remember the quote about money and apply it to the space I have "it's not how much space you have - it is what you do with what you have" - I have cleared some furniture out (uncluttered space is important to my peace of mind), put a lot of books away and I am trying to be minimalist (hmm - with 5 children this is not easy)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

we got rid of two arm chairs, a dresser, and an end table this weekend!! I always just set things out with a "free" sign taped to it and even in our quiet dead end subdivision, things get taken quickly- beats freecycle!!
From my experience, Amy D's advice from the tightwad gazette is a bit dated. the deals are always there, really, so to stock up much in advance just does not make sense. (where maybe 10,15 years ago it was wiser.)
I had to laugh reading about tablecloths .
We are down to two and that is fine. One is the Thanksgiving one that we write on each year, and one is a fall/winterish looking one. Both get pulled off frequently, or partially!
We have no outdoor shed, no attic, less than 2000 sq feet living space AND we fit both cars (suburban, old 1996 model honda odyssey)in the 2 car garage.
It is a good feeling to make do with less!!
enjoy!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Bookswithtea wrote:
I did it!

Sounds great!!

After a disappointing weekend of house hunting, I'm back to needing to make do here - you are inspiring!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

LisaR wrote:

From my experience, Amy D's advice from the tightwad gazette is a bit dated.

Perish the thought, my friend!

Warning: Amy D. tribute below:

Amy D was *so* influential in my early mothering/housewifing years. I actually had a subscription before the books came out! I wouldn't know 1/2 of what I know about how to make do/do without, without her (well, her and Cheryl Lindsay/Gentle Spirit mag), and even if the specific ideas are a bit dated, the principles are eternal, imho. No one else comes close to what she offered (I know, I have a pile of "simplicity" themed books on my shelves) and she did it with a sense of humor that still cracks me up. Her books will never be packed away in my house. Whenever I need a good kick, I reach for TG.

and now back to your post.

Getting rid of furniture, btw, is my biggest strategy for simplicity. Furniture that does not serve a useful purpose or isn't used regularly needs to leave. Its amazing how much more spacious a home feels without an excess of furniture.

~Books

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Bookswithtea wrote:

Getting rid of furniture, btw, is my biggest strategy for simplicity. Furniture that does not serve a useful purpose or isn't used regularly needs to leave. Its amazing how much more spacious a home feels without an excess of furniture.

AMEN!!! and, I, too subscribed to Amy D's newsletter, and owned both of her big compilation books, I did like her humor and can do mentality as opposed to oppression/drudgery, etc.
Is there anyone out there of her vein today??

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

LisaR wrote:
I did like her humor and can do mentality as opposed to oppression/drudgery, etc.
Is there anyone out there of her vein today??

Naaa, I don't think so. But I think its kind of cool that her last offering was, "Well, we've reached that point where I don't have to work anymore. So I'm stopping the business." She was the real thing. Did you ever read Your Money or Your Life? It should be in the library and its excellent.

~Books

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version