Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Robinson Curriculum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We had discussed RC a little bit last year when I came to the realization that I am NOT a teacher.

As I am trying to plan for the Fall, I keep going back to the RC website.(Robinson Curriculum.com) I am especially interested for my rising 5th grader, ds10. This is a boy who does not like formal schooling. He gets very easily frustrated by his sisters who are always chatty. (His brothers are 17 and 6 months.) He does love to learn but only on his own terms. He divides his time between the trampoline, reading and playing alone in his room.

So, I am thinking something simple and to the point. I will not follow through on anything requiring a lot of one on one time. He loves to read and is willing to do what is necessary to earn privileges.

I am interested to hear other experiences with RC, first-hand or just opinions based on other's experiences. Is it really something unique or would we do just as well using something like Sonlight and having him write a page or two a day about what he reads?

My research time is always very abbreviated and I just don't get that time to compare and contrast my different options. One of these years I will get it all figured out. Until then, HELP!!!

Thanks so much.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Molly,

Sort of OT....

I remember your post you're talking about- I was just thinking about it the other day, and tried to do a search on it. Is there a way for you to provide a link to that discussion? I know I, and some others, would benefit from reading it.

I hope you get some answers here!

Thanks a bunch!

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Isa in Michigan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 24 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Isa in Michigan

From what I know about it, the main difference between RC and other programs is that the books used are typically over 100 years old. The idea being that older books have a more complex vocabulary and sentence structure. All the books are on a CD, or you can also get them in the public domain. In either case your son would have to read them off the computer or you would have to print them out.

Robinson's children have all done very well academically. I think his approach is a good one in requiring math, reading from advanced books, and writing every day. You could just as easily use his approach with another curriculum, the only difference being that the books might not be as advanced in sentence structure and vocabulary.

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

I too have considered and considered Robinson. The PRINTING really gives me pause.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Bella, my computer won't let me search. The topic title, I believe, was "Which direction for my family" or something very similar.

Isa, I got to spend more time on the RC website last night. One of the "philosophies" of the curriculum is that children under 16 do not use the computer at all. Everything is to be printed off.

I don't think I agree with this. I think that my kids benefit from various computer games, and even from the occasional safe google search to learn more about a topic. On the other hand, I haven't tried raising children who do not use a computer.

Another "philosophy" is no television (or dvds). I think Mr Robinson said they watch a video every six months or so. Again, I am not so sure about this, and I am very strict about television usage. We don't watch TV, or the majority of modern children's movies. But we do rent old movies and some select children's movies and I think that my kids benefit from them.

My kids read all the time, but there is something unifying about everyone gathered around watching Gilligan and laughing together. Mind-numbing? Maybe, but only for an hour or two!

So, I don't know. It all seems pretty extreme. I do like that it is all self-directed. I do like the older books with more complicated writing. I do like the focus on math and science, but wonder if that is really meant for all children.

I would love to hear more opinions.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bella wrote:
I remember your post you're talking about- I was just thinking about it the other day, and tried to do a search on it. Is there a way for you to provide a link to that discussion? I know I, and some others, would benefit from reading it.

Here it is, Bella!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Can you glean what works for you from the curriculum without having to subscribe whole-hog to the philosophy? I think I'd have exactly the same thoughts that others are having: I love the idea of older books/good,complex written English, but although I have some real reservations about computer use, we do use the computer, and I'm not likely to stop. Moderation we can do. Anything more or less than that I can't commit to.

Actually, what sounds attractive about Robinson is also what I like about Charlotte Mason. Love the books, don't really religiously follow the method. But then, I'm not a "method" person (or a teacher, either, at home . . . we do the self-directed thing a lot). I choose or reject programs based on the books . . . and at this point I'd say we're pretty much totally literature-based in most subjects.

Anyway, I'm wandering. I'd say that if you like MOST of the aspects of the program, then go for it. Unless they send secret police to your house to inspect for computer and television use.

Sally

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Molly, I did my own version of Robinson. I eventually reached, as I'm sure you understand, that level of critical mass.

Each child had a daily list of things to do: reading books and completing basic lesson pages in core 3 R's.

I made my own book lists, wrote the books out by level or grade, and gave them the list at the beginning of the year with a way of "reporting" on it depending on grade. Youngest, I read the books to---they told them back to me or answered questions I asked. Older, answered simple questions on a makeshift fun-ish "book report" form. Even older, could write that one page or paragraph or even more for those who loved to go on and on (or narrate if I had time).

The books were history, science, math, religion, geographical, art, music, poetry, and others. I am fortunate in that over the years I have amassed quite a library of fiction and non-fiction of all genres and for all ages.

They also then had one lesson of ABeka or Saxon math, olders corrected themselves. Youngest used Kumon workbooks.

One or two pages or lesson of phonics like Primary Phonics, or Explode the Code. One reader-booklet per day like Bob books, Primary Phonics, etc.

One page or lesson of handwriting. ABeka and Seton both had good quality sentences in terms of content to copy. My older son----14--- copied the Letter of James this Spring in a nice black journal in his neatest handwriting.

I added one lesson of Language or English later on. ABeka and Easy Grammar are the easiest for them to use and correct.

I also like assigning the Seton Religion and Reading Comp workbooks for interesting and simple faith-instruction.

It's not perfect.....but it's the only way WE could hang in there. Everyone has to design a way for their family to work! Faithfulness....not "success" (Mother Teresa) is the mantra I try to keep in the forefront of my heart and mind.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Bella

JennGM wrote:
Bella wrote:

Here it is, Bella!

Thanks,Jenn!

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2008 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

We attempted this one year. I actually liked it quite a bit, but was a bit lax that year. (Probably had a baby or something.) We still do math his way with the Saxon books after first starting with Right Start Math. He likes flash cards, I do not. However, the older boys have been teaching themselves math for a few years now and they are good at it. They don't always like it much, but they are definately learning.

We went ahead and bought a laser printer (Brother) from Costco that year and I have printed and hand bound several books. It is coming in handy now since my boys are getting older they want to dig in to things and read Jefferson Davis's Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government and Gallic War written by Caesar himself. Robinson Curriculum is formatted very nicely for printing so we can do 4 pages on one sheet of paper and fold it up. That is nice too. Also, the printer doesn't run out of toner very often, but the downside is that it doesn't print in color. But, I have not regretted purchasing either the printer or the curriculum.

Hope that helps somewhat.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Kristen,
Can you tell me what it is about Robinson's methodology that makes the child "self-taught"? Why is it different than just providing the child with excellent books and leaving him alone to it, only requiring the daily writing like Robinson? For my oldest kids, Saxon was not something my kids were able to do on the own.

Btw, good to "see" you here!

Remembering Today

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Molly,
I enjoyed reading the Robinson Curriculum website too. I have already bought my books for the next year and don't plan to buy RC but I did take away some valuable ideas from it.

For me, the way RC divides up the day: 2 hours math, 1 hour writing, 2 hours reading, was a lightbulb moment for me. (These are targets to be worked towards, not hard and fast requirements for young learners, just in case someone is not familiar with the RC website.)

I would have a hard time using only the materials Robinson recommends; partly because I like a different math program and the Protestant worldview of some of his book choices, as well as my desire to keep our education Latin-centered. But, I think with some Catholic book choice substitutions, Robison Curriculum could be a fine choice for you.

There is a very low-traffic Yahoo Catholic Robinson group. You might check that out.

When I wrote my lesson plans for this fall (just for my two oldest, entering 5th & 3rd grades) I used Robinson's scheduling but with my own book choices. I felt this helped me stay balanced with the workload I was assigning; being careful about how much writing I assigned in particular since I have one whose hands tire easily.

There is a Christian lady (not Catholic) who has a blog called Lentils & Rice who chose Robinson for this upcoming year. She has some interesting posts on why she chose it that you might be interested in.

The other thing Robinson outlaws that you didn't mention is sugar. No tv (but videos rarely), no computer (til calculus completed), no sugar (not even honey). I don't know how strongly most people who use Robinson feel about his rules but obviously he feels they are a necessary starting point!

I hope you do use it, because I would be fascinated to read your posts on how it all goes! :)
LeeAnn

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Quote:
The other thing Robinson outlaws that you didn't mention is sugar. No tv (but videos rarely), no computer (til calculus completed), no sugar (not even honey). I don't know how strongly most people who use Robinson feel about his rules but obviously he feels they are a necessary starting point!

I love the math and reading foundational methods he recommends. And the hourly segment layouts for getting it done.

Almost without fail I have found computer and science/math geniuses insist on the no computer or tv. My dh and I were computer programmer and tend to agree. However, the social aspect of it is another deal. We are pretty tough on computer usage, my 13 yr old is just know being allowed to type the final draft of his works on the computer. We had some Rosetta Stone software for a bit, but other than that no computer. Only the oldest 2 have ever been on a computer at all. We're a bit more tolorant of restricted tv, because there is a social aspect of it, not just in families, but in making conversation with peers.

I too found the concept of printng everything to be daunting (and an additional expense) and the books are rather protestant.

I think it just as simple a thing to do as Nina suggests.And not as big an outlay of cash to get started either.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

teachingmyown wrote:
Kristen,
Can you tell me what it is about Robinson's methodology that makes the child "self-taught"? Why is it different than just providing the child with excellent books and leaving him alone to it, only requiring the daily writing like Robinson? For my oldest kids, Saxon was not something my kids were able to do on the own.

I always hesitate to chime in on a Robinson thread and can never remember if I actually ended up posting a response that I've composed mentally, and frequently physically, or not! I guess I didn't on that previous thread that was linked, so here goes.

As you may know my sisters and I were (and one still is) homeschooled at various times and in various ways. One way at one time utilyzed the Robinson Curriculum. I, however, had just graduated so am looking at this from an older sister/new college ed major at that time/Mom's bouncing board for ideas, perspective.

Mom is an English teacher with a Shakespeare/Asian Studies double minor and loves science esp. biology. She likes teaching. Robinson didn't. She likes science. Robinson didn't. She hated the idea that if a kid is struggling you are to redirect them back to their desk and tell them to reread the problem, why not teach them a second way around that problem if the primary path is too rocky for them? Instead Robinson recommends that you Just Say Nothing:

These are skills that can be taught to any child. When your eight-year-old child is all alone at his large desk in a quiet room with his Saxon 65 book and has been there three hours already—with most of that time spent in childhood daydreams —and says, "Mommy, I don't know how to work this problem," give him a wonderful gift. Simply reply, "Then you will need to keep studying until you can work the problem."

For a while his progress may be slow. Speed will come with practice. Eventually, he will stop asking.

She hated the fact that her 4 years of college and subsequent teaching experience was belittled and reduced to being a copy machine. The lack of communication and dialog was the worst though. Don't talk to your kids, send them to their rooms which should be pristine, soundless caves of knowledge with no distractions and that includes teachers, here's the comparison Robinson uses.

However, just as you cannot insert a calculator into a child's brain so that he or she can think quantitatively, you cannot insert yourself into the child's brain as a life-long crutch. That brain must learn by itself, function by itself, have confidence in itself alone, and achieve by itself. You will not always be there to help with the academic answers. Also, if the child learns to depend upon you as a social and spiritual protective peer group, whom will he choose for that purpose when he enters the secular world? The possibilities in today's world are chilling indeed.

If a child receives too much individual attention, he can develop a dependency upon his teacher that is difficult to break. In this case, it is necessary to just let the child spend many unhappy hours alone at his desk. In time he will gradually start to work effectively on his own.

I may really step on some toes here, but the whole thing ends up being almost cult-like. 2 meals a day, no sugar, no honey, no processed foods, 5 hours sitting at a desk with no distractions and no breaks except to pee, no tv, no computer till aged 16, no friends as the #1 Rule and Procedure is to remove the child from the peer group.

Sit, Stay, Read, Think.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 14 2008 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

marihalojen wrote:
She hated the fact that her 4 years of college and subsequent teaching experience was belittled and reduced to being a copy machine. The lack of communication and dialog was the worst though. Don't talk to your kids, send them to their rooms which should be pristine, soundless caves of knowledge with no distractions and that includes teachers.

Dear Jen,
Thanks for chiming in! I've been sitting on my fingers for days.It's nice to hear your voice of experience and perspective. I cannot reconcile Robinson with Real Learning.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I don't have any experience with RC but as I read the website I kept thinking how impersonal and inflexible this approach seems. The goals of teaching a child to learn independently and to think are lofty ones. I just think there has to be other ways of reaching them.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

To me, I think the appeal is the idea of "independent learners". The structure and simplicity sound like that "magic bullet" that we talked about last year when Robinson first came up. I am very open about the fact that I love having my kids home and talking to them about all the things they are learning but I do not do a good job teaching them and keeping track of it all. However, I do not see sending each child to a separate room, or all silently sitting at the table together but not interacting with each other as the way I want to run my home.

Elizabeth is right. It is hard to reconcile it with Real Learning, at least as it is presented on their website. Without having actually viewed the details of the program, I can't make blanket statements about the quality of the coursework. Like just about everything, it needs to be personalized and tweaked for each child. I do think that the basic structure could simplify the school day enough to have the time and energy to supplement.

I may still buy the program, to see what I can take from it. I certainly can't see leaving a struggling child alone for hours trying to figure a math problem. For me, I need my kids, especially ds10, to be able to move along through their day and week without needing the next thing from me (I may be putting a baby down for a nap, changing the laundry, sneaking a shower, etc). For ds10, I need the material to be pretty straight forward and not require much "creativity" or open-endedness.

Remembering Today

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Love it Jen. You articulated my issues with it clearly.

I think, from other discussions about this method, that the part that can be appealing is the 'less is more' part of it. The focusing on the basics with lots of good books- the streamlined feeling of it.   However, I find it way to much on the less side (as far as the lack of beauty, and cm type stuff, and way to focused on the academics- two hours a day on math! That would be absolute mutiny here, and my kids enjoy math!!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:
[
Dear Jen,
Thanks for chiming in! I've been sitting on my fingers for days.It's nice to hear your voice of experience and perspective. I cannot reconcile Robinson with Real Learning.

Me too. My personal opinion is that I homeschool my kids because I want to spend time with them and discuss things and read lots of books and..lots of other real learning things. Yes..several kids and illness etc means that there has to be some independent work - but the whole Robinson thing confuses me.

Also - if I implemented their rules - no sugar, no computer, no tv - I think I would have a major mutiny on my hands (dh included!) - and to add - we do not abuse any of these - healthy diet, computer in moderation, no cable tv but lots of good dvds and sport!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Natalia wrote:
I don't have any experience with RC but as I read the website I kept thinking how impersonal and inflexible this approach seems. The goals of teaching a child to learn independently and to think are lofty ones. I just think there has to be other ways of reaching them.

I've been reading Debra Bell's The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling which has great, reasonable, practical ways of teaching our kids to be independent learners on their time ... she's got a web-site where you can see some of her articles, etc. BTW, she's updating/republishing her book and it's due out this Fall. That might be a better resource -- many libraries probably have a copy of her book -- than going with a whole packaged curriculum.

Just a thought.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version