Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Laundry Treasures Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2005 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

jenngm67 wrote:
WOW! All that! Is pocket-emptying going to be on the priority list?

Yeah. So much money and more gets caught in the gasket, I did not think to make it such a priority. I see that I will have to make "emptying" law, now.   

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2005 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I'm so impressed that you did that yourself! I was please at having taken my vaccuum appart to clear a blockage. I think if I took my washing machine apart, I'd never get it back together again.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 11 2005 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Way to go MacBeth! All those brains, kind spirit, and brawn too!

My husband recently took apart our drier in an attempt to rescue it -- it was too late and the drier had to be replaced.   But in the shell of the machine was about $3 worth of change. I was shocked because I didn't know coins could get out of the drum and go into the outter shell. We're going to be more careful now too. I don't know if it hurt the performance and since we moved into the house a couple years ago I'm not even sure the change was all ours, but just in case it's going to be the law here too.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

cctabb
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 11 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote cctabb

ALmom wrote:
How about bandaids. They definitely do not do well if you do not catch them before the dryer. I now have a permanent bandaid stuck to my bathrobe (the warm, new one, of course!)

I have a bandaid stuck to my dryer drum!

All money is mine to keep. I announce it when I find more than a dollar as an incentive for someone else to want to do laundry, but it hasn't happened yet.

Charlene
Back to Top View cctabb's Profile Search for other posts by cctabb

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2005 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

MacBeth wrote:
I had to revive this topic, as I just spent three hours taking my washing machine apart to clean out the pump.

I had to do this a few months ago, but alas, all I retrieved was a lowly dime. However, it was making such a racket in there and the machine came up with an error reading and wouldn't work until I fixed it. I followed the instructions in the manual and was quite impressed with myself for doing something so mechanical .

After doing little Sarah's laundry a few days ago I found a rosary, a miraculous medal and two bracelets! I found a melted chapstick in Timmy's. I guess I'm going to have to start checking pockets .

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2005 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Way to go MacBeth! I bet something like that needs to happen here. We've invested over $500 in trying to figure out why our washing machine floor drain overflows leaving a puddle behind the machine. It happens some loads and not others- during the spin when you hear the pump going. We've had the plumber "snake" three times, Roto Rooter send a camera twice (the line is clear to the street!), and the washing machine repairman who replaced something. This was the best machine on the market 12 yrs ago (wedding present) and we are beside ourselves. The only thing everyone could come up with was that the machine may suck water out too fast but it only happens when no one is looking. What if we get a new machine, replacing this one that works fine and find out its some other problem? Sorry to complain. I just don't know what else to do!

Also, a coffee bean ended up in the dryer. I'm not sure how. After several loads with mysterious pea-sized yellow-ish stains, I found it!

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2005 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I found this article on Laundry interesting. I can't imagine that this writer has multiple children....she spends a lot of time spent on sorting alone and only washes EVERY OTHER WEEK!! She does mentions checking pocket...

And my dh thought I was a little extreme on my sorting!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My mom used to make us donate all the money she found in our pockets to the poor box (Operation Ricebowl). That hurt her the worst when she found a 20 in her own pocket, but she was a good example and put it in.

Of course, year after year we always forgot to take it to church at the end of lent so it was the richest man in the house. I remember borrowing money from it for gas when I was in HS (a precedent established by the 3 kids older than I and continued after me I'm sure ). BTW Mom borrowed too and always made sure we paid back.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
My mom used to make us donate all the money she found in our pockets to the poor box (Operation Ricebowl). That hurt her the worst when she found a 20 in her own pocket, but she was a good example and put it in.

Of course, year after year we always forgot to take it to church at the end of lent so it was the richest man in the house. I remember borrowing money from it for gas when I was in HS (a precedent established by the 3 kids older than I and continued after me I'm sure ). BTW Mom borrowed too and always made sure we paid back.

Rachel, are you sure you didn't grow up in my house!?! This is exactly what we did with our poor box (jar). We never remembered to take it to church, and so there was a bit of borrowing by all family members when cash was low! This was before ATMs....my mother would go to the grocery store to get extra cash, or borrow from the poor box. It was always paid back!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version