Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Why do you homeschool? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2008 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bella wrote:
I "hear" so many of you saying that you feel called by God to HS. I think this may be true of me, but I'm just not sure. I feel each time I dig deeper into this new faith, satan messes with me. The result, is that when I hear/think voices/thoughts, I am having a hard time discerning whether or not it is God calling/stretching me...or satan messing with me.

Don't preach, or throw your faith into his/her face....instead, live our faith by good example." So, while our home doesn't scream of Catholicism, I have my little Schoenstatt Altar in our dining room, a portrait of Jesus on our mantle,a Crucifix hanging-and that's about it. Oh! But books...I have religious books( for me to read)- but a lot of books on our faith for our DC to read.

And all of your posts have helped me to try to search inside, and LISTEN to God.

Is continuing to hs what He wants, or is satan now trying to mess with our family unit? I too, CANNOT see myself in a school system-I just can't. Is that my controling nature? Is continuing to hs, just a way for me to prove to my DH, that practicing a faith can be done-everyday of the week? These are questions and thoughts that I am pondering.

I am humbly sorry, if this post is just too self-centered-and too OT.

I've been thinking of you and your questions, Bella, and...I have no answers ...but maybe that IS the answer: we don't have the answers.

In my small experience, discerning God's will is quite an adventure. What I read in your post is that you are doing just what you need to do. You are bringing God and faith into your life and the life of your family. You are being respectful of your dh and being open to options. You are trying to listen to God and you have said "Yes" to His will.

Will you keep us posted? I'll be praying for you...and all of us moms who so want to do God's will but sometimes just don't know what it is.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Oh,boy! ( big breath...)

I am bringing this thread back, as I feel like a secret spy,traitor, or...on a less dramatic note....a hs wannabe!

Angie-Here is my update!

After so many prayers, and isolating myself-okay-let's call it a...retreat from all things schoolish-especially hsish-we made our decision. Hats off to my DH, as we are on a journey I never,ever thought he'd consider......

Our dc have been attending our parish Catholic school since late August. We are trying it for one whole year. We live close enough, that they can all walk together!

Okay...I feel like I am in Confession here....

It is not a perfect solution/situation, but it is working. Our dc attend daily Mass,and once a month Confession for the older crowd. We have been blessed with wonderful teachers,and so far, so good!

It is such a huge understatement,to say how it is all a give and take. There were so many days in the first several weeks, that I felt like I was actually grieving-and I probably was! I felt lost! No hsing friends-they're busy hsing! No parents of school-friends,as they are busy at work!

Finally, I feel like I am finding my groove. I have held tight to _A Mother's Rule of Life_and allowed myself to just go with the flow.

Trusting was by far the biggest challenge. In prayer one day, and in tears, I told Mary,that I was going to let her step in and fill in the gaps-I was too close to the trees to see the forest(or however that saying goes...),and unable to get off the fence, surrender, put my pride aside,whatever it was-probably, all of the above. I gave it all up to Him. W/in two weeks, our dc were enrolled,and my life was changed upside down.

I have to say, that even if this is just for a year-it was a good decision. After two weeks of school, my doc put me on bedrest-just for the time the dc were in school. This was for a whole month. The stress of trying to decide,had gotten to me-and my body was not happy. Lesson learned-TRUST IN OUR LORD.

Now, all these months later....I stand at the front door, waving to them as they turn the corner. They are gone,to arrive at school w/i minutes. Me? I head to the tea pot,put a load of clothes in the wash,and lay down with the Bible or another book, and rest my body. By ten, I know what we are having for dinner,what time we will head upstairs to bed....it just all feels so normal. And what a relief that is!

I want to say, that to ANY of you, who think you are not getting enough done,your dc is getting behind,etc...LET IT GO. With so much humility, I will admit, that for the previous 18 months, my older dc were pretty much left to their own-with only me providing good books. My dc are at the top of their class! At our first teacher conference, I felt like I was the one getting the grades, or a raise,promotion,etc..ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION, THAT I HADN'T RUINED MY DC!!    

The principal wanted to put our oldest dd in the grade above-but we decided to keep her with her same age peers,and I'm glad we did, as it has been such a confidence building experience for her. Something she needed, and as much as I kept trying to help her along with that, I kept coming up short. You see, He knew what our dd needed-way more than we did!

I'm not liking always having to be at the mercy of someone elses timeframe, baking the cupcakes,etc...but I am there, at the school, involved,and helping to build a church-based community for my family.
This was something that couldn't happen with our hsing group.
Just as I am sure God called me to hs six yrs. ago, I am positive He was calling for us to put our dc in a great Catholic school,here in a great diocese. The diffference,was that this time, I knew that it was God calling me.

Some of you(if you've read this far!) may be wondering why I am here on this hsing board. My answer is twofold-first, I want to keep one foot in the hsing door and also enrich what the dc are learning at school. Secondly, this is the only place online, where I can relate to Catholic moms of the AP mindset, and the same hs approach.

Sorry to be so windy-just be glad I gave it to you, in a nutshell!

Bella

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Bella,

I am so glad that things are working for you - what a blessing to find a school where your DC get to go to daily Mass. That is truly exceptional.
I always say that we do everything one year at a time. This is what is working for you now. It sounds as if you are at peace.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

crusermom wrote:
Bella,

I am so glad that things are working for you - what a blessing to find a school where your DC get to go to daily Mass. That is truly exceptional.
I always say that we do everything one year at a time. This is what is working for you now. It sounds as if you are at peace.

Mary

Mary, thank you,for your kind words of support. I DO have peace,which has always been hard for me.

I forgot to mention, that the priest who brought me into the Church, always said that it would be our dc that would bring Jesus to my DH, then eventually, the Church. I find it interesting(and, puttingmy pride way aside here!) that DH has been to EVERY Sunday Mass with us, since the dc started attending our Church school. And it has been my DH, to suggest that we change the way we use an Advent calendar. Here I've been thinking, that it was through hsing, that would show DH really how to be an authentic Catholic. Again, Our Lord has His plan and way of doing things-much different-and sometimes, surprising us!

My goodness, I do ramble! I really need to start Blogging!!

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Bella,
I am so happy for you and your family.
God bless you!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Bella - Sounds like you found the perfect solution for this time in your lives! It really sounds wonderful. I am happy for your children, but I am especially happy for the peace you are feeling in your heart.     

Back to Top View LLR4's Profile Search for other posts by LLR4 Visit LLR4's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Bella wrote:

My goodness, I do ramble! I really need to start Blogging!!

Oh, do! I love the way you write!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version