Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Those who plan...When do you plan? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 16 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Could you give me an idea of when and how much time you spend planning your school year?

ETA: I'm also wondering how do you plan with your children around? Do you?

Or am I at a stage where expecting to have an hour of uninterrupted time is unrealistic?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 16 2008 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

Being in NY, I have to (by state law) submit my education plan for the upcoming school year by August 15. So that is what drives my timing.

I am already done with my plan for next year for older ds (grade 5). I used to spend hours upon hours writing out detailed lesson plans by day in an excel spreadsheet. It was greuling, plus we never stuck to them, and that added stress to our learning.

This past year I threw in the towel and we winged it. Instead of writing up a detailed plan by subject and day ahead of time, I wrote what we did each day. Much better!

For this coming year, I did a one-page summary of our entire upcoming year, by subject by quarter. I got a form from Donna Young and wrote it out by hand. It is fairly simple: ie for religion 1Q I wrote: "F&L ch. 1 - 8." And so on for each subject and quarter. It took me less than an hour, having all of the books out in front of me. Now they are all put away for the summer, and I have everything I need for my IHIP (state report) due in August.

Hope this helps!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I usually plan right around this time.

I gather the books in April or May and start thinking about the "big picture" for next year.

Then I try to pin down the details in June and go over them again in early August just before we start up again.

The time I spend varies.   Last year I kept the planning quite general.... just booklists and chapter breakdowns. It worked well but there were times I felt I could have prepared more, particularly for the younger children.

This year I have been spending more time, looking through the books ahead of time and taking notes.   I hope it pays off, but I haven't ever tried this before (never had the TIME) so I do not know if it will be too much.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Helen

I added to my original question:
I'm also wondering how do you plan with your children around? Do you?

Or am I at a stage where expecting to have an hour of uninterrupted time is unrealistic?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Helen--I have been driving myself crazy trying to plan with the children around me. I did a lot of general thinking things through with friends and searching the archives for book lists, etc...and needed to get some of it committed to paper because it was just taking up too much room in my head. The past couple of weeks have not been the time for me to sneak any time by myself unless I stay up really late. So I've been trying to sit with my planning basket and laptop as the kids settle down in the evening. It's difficult. I waded through because I really needed to get some of this done, but I'm going to try to hold off now until I can go sit somewhere alone for a good chunk of time. I think this one is even worth paying a babysitter if I have to. I'm planning so that when everyone needs me and I can't think a coherent thought, I can avoid the chaos because I have a plan. If I plan in the middle of that chaos, I think I'm defeating the purpose. I wish we could have a yearly planning retreat every summer, and just all hole up somewhere for a couple of days....hmmm, a girl can dream can't she?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

missionfamily wrote:
I wish we could have a yearly planning retreat every summer, and just all hole up somewhere for a couple of days....hmmm, a girl can dream can't she?

That would work for me!

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Helen,
I'm planning right now because I'm expecting a baby soon. I usually do it in July before the school department paperwork is due. I do it gradually at night when the dc are in bed. I need quiet to think. And how much time do I spend. Way too much! I'm a thinker...

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

K&Rs Mom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 16 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote K&Rs Mom

I use our guest room for most of my school stuff, so if I go in there when the dc are up, I have to close the door. Mostly, though, I plan after they are in bed - we're lucky to still be in the years of 8pm bedtimes. I plan 2-3 weeks ahead, which takes maybe an hour every couple weeks, and spend maybe 10 min each night gathering the next day's supplies (put on the table before I go to bed). HTH!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

allegiance_mom wrote:
This past year I threw in the towel and we winged it. Instead of writing up a detailed plan by subject and day ahead of time, I wrote what we did each day. Much better!

Allegiance, this is what I've done for awhile with my 3 middle children. I record what we've done. They are learning the basics for the most part.

My two older children follow school plans, again we just have to check off. But, I found that my littles, who need a lot of direction, were getting short changed. I think I need to have a plan, with materials gathered in one place for my five year old. (I think it will trickle down for the three year old as well.)

missionfamily wrote:
   I think this one is even worth paying a babysitter if I have to.   

Colleen, I think this is the answer I was looking for. My planning is taking time. (Even my minimal planning) And I guess I was wondering if I should take this time. I think it will be worth taking the time now, while the kids can play outside and enjoy the nice weather, to put together a few ideas with materials.

Cheryl wrote:
I do it gradually at night when the dc are in bed. I need quiet to think.

Cheryl, I can't stay up at night. Maybe two years ago I could. But, I've had two children since then. I'm a bit worn thin. (Well, not *that* thin! )

Willa wrote:
Then I try to pin down the details in June and go over them again in early August just before we start up again.

That's a good idea Willa, thanks.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

My planning has become a ritual. I usually start thinking about it in May, then on June 1 I really dive in. My favorite time to plan is in the early morning before anyone is awake, but I'm usually still at it when the kids wake up. (Yes, I love to plan!) I have my computer desk in the kitchen which is right next to the room my kids play in when they are not outside. My kids are actually starting to get used to this time when my attention is taken up by all the book lists and activities I want to try. The little ones don't understand of course, and they spend lots of time trying to get my attention, but I can usually enlist the help of a big kid at least for a short time. I try to have the books and everything I want to use picked out so that on June 16 - my birthday - I can spend the morning ordering books! Then as they come in, I do the more detailed planning of when and how we will use the particular books. We use MODG so much of it is done for me in the syllabi. I use some alternatives to what they recommend though so I try to write up a general outline for those alternatives. After the books are ordered and the general outlines written up I try not to think about school for a while; usually for the month of July. Of course we continue to read good books, but I try to really give myself a break. It helps me when it's time to dive back in again.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Becky Parker wrote:
I try to have the books and everything I want to use picked out so that on June 16 - my birthday - I can spend the morning ordering books!.

Hey Becky, we shared the same birthday!! did you order any books yesterday? Happy birthday!

Natalia

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Happy birthday Natalia! Yes! I ordered a whole bunch! It was fun...at least until the bill comes!!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

What a fun thread. I start planning in April by bookmarking, in a "to be considered" folder with our start date, all of the links that I come across with good ideas or products that we want to learn more about. In May we set out one box per child and start putting books from the shelf or that I order into the appropriate box. In June I start eliminating links from the "to be considered" folder and start pulling together the more complicated plans, using one child's box and printouts of "ideas" at a time.

Right now I'm writing one of the high schooler's ancient history lesson plans. I used to do multiple plans at one time, but I've learned my lesson. That approach was too confusing and usually I was left with many unfinished plans come September. I'll probably do another child's history next, leaving the easier planning for the end.

I never wait until the kids are in bed to plan. I keep the box that I'm working on near the computer and whenever I have 30 minutes I start planning. I allow interruptions from the youngest children, but only if it's urgent. I think learning to wait 30 minutes is good for self-discipline. Of course I don't have any babies or toddlers now, but when I did the older children would distract them so that I had at least 30 minutes during the day and then I squeeze in another hour after they were in bed.

Helen, what do you think about the need for 30 minutes of quiet time to do this? Do you think we should require more self-discipline from them or are you with those who think every interruption should be attended to whether it is serious or just to show you a toy? I tend to think that if we are going to design our own curriculum we need to take it very seriously, almost like a job. Looking back I can see that those subjects that we just decided to "wing" really weren't that successful and the kids education is just to important to leave to chance. I'll admit, 30 minutes isn't really enough time for planning and usually I can get another 30 minutes in while the children are playing outside or otherwise occupied.

I should add, I only outline the younger children's history and science and then write 6 week detailed plans as we go along with one week break for planning. That allows us to change the activities based on the season and weakness that suddenly show up or changes in interest (e.g., boredom with history kits, desire to notebook more) without having to throw out a months worth of plans.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote MrsM

This probably wouldn't work for most people, but I do my plannning in the summer, during the day when my dh is home to watch the children--he's a ps teacher, so he's home for the next eight weeks. I don't like to be interrupted while I'm working if at all possible.

Planning is probably my favorite part of hsing--picking out curriculum is so fun for me (I'm such a geek). If I were as good at implementing as I am at planning, I'd be an amazing teacher. Alas, it's not the case...
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

This is a great thread. I have been very stressed lately trying to get it all together for next year. (Which is quickly approaching since we are staring in early August. ) As Colleen mentioned, I feel as if I can't think a coherant thought either when I am in the midst of school with baby needing to nurse, or the 1,000th diaper change (that's what it feels like, sorry) for the twins, or my youngest ones needing me to read them something, my 6th grader NOT doing his schoolwork and having to be coaxed constantly, and my eldest needing some direction and help etc. I wonder why I feel pulled in every direction? Add to that feeling as if I was "lost" as far as where they all were in all the different subjects in all their various grades, even with Seton's lesson plans last year, and it made for a chaotic feeling.

This year, I am getting back to my classical roots and trying to strengthen the basics etc. I want to read to them more etc. All of this requires more planning and time/effort than just getting the neat boxes at the door. Anyway, I have found that I just have to go to the schoolroom while husband has everyone else with him upstairs. Some will venture in and out and play, but for the most part, I really just have to focus on it and get it done. I am really trying to have a clear plan this year. I feel overwhelmed and discouraged today, even though I haven't started the year! I am usually quite excited about the new year in February. This year, I had a bit of excitement right before the conference, but felt disillusioned afterwards. I sort of dread "getting excited" or even planning since it never seems to work. Sorry for the pessimistic mood. I have really been praying about it this week and feel as if God is trying to tell me to rely on Him more instead of myself. Also, to realize that it is faithful effort and not neccesarily getting it all "right" that He is looking for. That makes me feel fidgity spiritually since I am always looking for the "perfect" way when things will finally be "normal" or "flow smoothly". DO you think that is possible with so many???? I can't seem to even come up with a workable plan to keep all their shoes from getting lost! I have tried plans time and time again for that, and they are always lost! So, why do I think this planning for so tremendous a task will ever "work"?

I do admit also that I don't think my husband understands the feeling of stress that all of this planning and grading etc. involve. So, the whole time I am away and planning school, I feel as if I am taking time away from the limited time we have. He doesn't want me chatting with him or anything, but you know how they sort of like you to hang around? So, I don't know if that is the answer. I also toy around with the planning on Saturday afternoons after I have cleaned, or on Sunday afternoons when I get bored since husband is home to watch the kids.

I am also trying to read more of the plans and texts here and there as Willa mentioned to familiarize myself with it all. I figured too that since everyone seems to be using VIE, and I could not find a suitable substitute at the conference, I might as well embrace that cross and learn the book!!     

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

amarytbc wrote:

Helen, what do you think about the need for 30 minutes of quiet time to do this? Do you think we should require more self-discipline from them or are you with those who think every interruption should be attended to whether it is serious or just to show you a toy? I tend to think that if we are going to design our own curriculum we need to take it very seriously, almost like a job. Looking back I can see that those subjects that we just decided to "wing" really weren't that successful and the kids education is just to important to leave to chance. I'll admit, 30 minutes isn't really enough time for planning and usually I can get another 30 minutes in while the children are playing outside or otherwise occupied.

Great post! I loved ALL your ideas.

I think the age demographics in one's house make a difference in how the planning goes.    I don't have babies anymore, either.   I can sit down for an hour or more during the day.   But when I had babies or children who were high needs, it was a high priority to stay mentally and emotionally involved with them. Even a few minutes being absorbed in something else was enough to fray the atmosphere around here.   

Even now, I notice that when my mind is obviously elsewhere for too long a time period, my children's emotional state suffers... especially the youngest's.   Maybe this is just me. I have a lot of trouble changing mental gears -- I think Angel called it "hyperfocus" in another thread.   When I'm wrapped up in planning it's sort of all or nothing.    The younger kids pick up on it fast -- they need their "tanks" refreshed occasionally even though they are fairly well behaved.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

What a timely thread! I am trying to zero in on a Saturday when my husband can take the children out of the house for a while. I am chomping at the bit to plan next year. Here's my list:

1) I need to find a good homeschool planner! I am looking at the Donna Young website and the forms in the back of the Wholehearted Child book.

2) I would like to plan the fixed dates first like holidays and liturgical year (Catholic Mosaic Books) and pencil in some recipes and crafts.

3) I would like to make a by-the-week daily checklist for each child's seatwork (math and language arts).

4) I would like to make a general plan for read-a-aloud books as well as the subjects we do as a group. And like allegiance_mom said - fill in what we do after we do it.

5) Now that we are "out of the box" for the first time I want to be able to relax a bit more and feel like we can take the time for more field trips, getting together with friends, or just spending the day outdoors if the weather is nice!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

Helen wrote:
I added to my original question:
I'm also wondering how do you plan with your children around? Do you?

Well, I only have two. I did most of my planning after they were asleep, with the books piled on my bed!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

Seeing as I'm in the middle of this right now (planning, that is)...

I take a month off after we finish for the year (usually around Easter) and just r-e-l-a-x. After my little mini-vacation, I get the "planning bug" again and I start looking at various catalogs and such. I use MODG as a "helpful suggestion," but I still bring sources in from all over.

Once everything is in, I sit down and plan out my goals for the year -- what do I hope to accomplish in this subject, how will I judge the "success" of it all, and what books/materials will I use? (this basic goals/objectives is what my accountability group looks for here in SC).

This year I'll be teaching 5, with 2 little ones hugging at my ankles, so I better not be TOO ambitious with what I hope to cover this year!

Then, during our school year, I sit down every Sunday night (with a nice glass of wine and a bowl of chips! Yum!) after the kids go down and the baby is nursed and look over everything we are to do that week... will I need to spend more time with someone on this math lesson or will I need to have uninterrupted time (haha!) to explain this concept to another child? I try to write all of this in my planner, and then I don't have to do much "thinking" about homeschooling the rest of the week... which is good, because when chaos is all around me, I can't put two thoughts together!

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Willa wrote:

Even now, I notice that when my mind is obviously elsewhere for too long a time period, my children's emotional state suffers

Isn't that the truth! I see it especially with my older children who want to constantly discuss things.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version