Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Picture book discoveries Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 03 2005 at 3:31am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

One of my favorites is Bagels from Benny by Aubrey Davis. It is a truly wonderful book about how God uses human hands to answer prayers.
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Some new favorites:

The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau (I think there are other Quiltmaker books) and they have a website

Cheyenne Again by Eve Bunting

Train to Somewhere by Eve Bunting

Lassie Come Home Eric Knight's original 1938 Classic retold by Rosemary Wells and illustrated by Susan Jeffers

The Sketchbook of Thomas Blue Eagle by Gay Matthaei and Jewel Grutman

oh, and we are MAJOR Peter Collington fans too. our favorite is The Angel and The Soldier Boy

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2005 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

[QUOTE=Lissa] Thanks to whoever recommended WHEN THE WHIPPOORWILL CALLS--my girls & I all loved it. We live quite near the southern tip of the Shenandoah Natl Park, so this book was very real to them! After reading it, we looked up a map of the park online, and then we listened to a whippoorwill song at this site. Fun!

QUOTE]

It was ME, Lissa!!   

I am so bummed, beate.......my library has like 20 books for Lyon....but no Weaving the Rainbow   

you will have to check it out for me when I come to visit      I REALLY want to see it!!

I have ordered The Bunnies' Ball, Maria............and a whole bunch of Jim Aylesworth books........they look good!

I had been giving the library a break over Lent..........too bad for them now!

I am sure you all can imagine the reputation I have here at the library........they cower when they see me coming!

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 06 2005 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

I posted about this book on the Rabbit Trail forum, but it's appropriate here, too.

Gabriella's Song is a lovely story about a girl who spreads her song throughout Venice. I just think it is delightful! :)

A few other books I have recently enjoyed
Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)
The Empty Pot
One Grain of Rice

Happy Reading everyone! :) I have enjoyed some of the selections you all have posted. Thanks :)
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

arcornbread
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 07 2005 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote arcornbread

Aunt Flossie's Hats[and Crab Cakes Later]is wonderful.I have my great-grandmother's hat collection. My boys like to hear stories about their great-great grandma and look at the hats, too. Another great book is Sweet Clara and theFreedom Quilt.I've used it with Quilt Units, Civil War Studies, and map making.[Clara makes a secret map into the quilt]
Back to Top View arcornbread's Profile Search for other posts by arcornbread

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2005 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Chari

I Go With My Family To Grandma's

by Riki Levinson

is very sweet.......set in the early 1900's, in New York, small amount of text, lovely illustrations........LOTS of cousins!

It is told from the point of view of the oldest girl in each of the families......lovely example of families, of parents loving children, of honoring grandparents, of relationships with extended families, of modesty.........mostly implied of course.

We found this book at a thrift store years ago...........and all the kids go back to it on their own, over and over again..........even my 16yo.

It has lots of appeal!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2005 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Since we check out between 40 and 60 books every other week or so, I'm always looking for new favorites, so I've enjoyed reading about some of yours. Here is one that is very new to us, but from an old favorite author, Cynthia Rylant. The kids love the Henry and Mudge series and the Mr. Putter and Tabby series (I know, they aren't great literature, but they're entertaining to a 3.5 and 5 yo), as well as the few other books we'd seen by her. This one i just happened to see last week and we all love it. It's called The Old Woman Who Named Things

I'm going to buy this one soon!

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

The Old Woman Who Named Things

Oh, I *LOVE* this book! I am a sap...so I cried. Cynthia Rylant's books usually make me cry (like, I said, I'm a sap!). Thanks for reminding me that it existed. I will have to check it out tomorrow.   
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

My 3 yo ds favorite right now is _The Seashore Book_ by Charlotte Zolotow. The illustrations are beautiful paintings and the story *takes* you to the seashore in a "let's pretend we're there" narrative by a mother to her little son. I'm having my dd (9) do some picture book anaylsis by finding all the descriptive words, similies and metaphors, and other poetic devices and literary devices the author is using, sort of FIAR style. This is one to have on your shelf, I think we'll have to buy it as I've maxed my renewal time .

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2005 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

We are loving Snowflake Bentley right now - and my youngest is nine!

Another picture book that I borrowed from the library is Theodric's Rainbow by Stephen Kramer. Its about Theodric, a monk and German philospher ( 1250-1311) and his quest for the science behind rainbows.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2005 at 3:21am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Over a month ago I picked up a book at the library called The Cats in Krasinski Square intending to use it with the younger children when my 13 year old reads Diary of Anne Frank. I had only skimmed it.

This week we read the Marvel Comic "The Life of Pope John Paul II" from 1982 which covers his early life on through to the assassination attempt. Much of it focuses on WWII and the German invasion and occupation of Poland and how this affected Karol Wojtyla when he was a young man and then a secret seminarian hiding from the Germans. My 5 and 9 year old were very interested - they really have never heard about this period of history before. I remembered the book on Krasinski Square and we read it today since it is set in that same time period in Poland. It is about a young Jewish girl who has escaped with her sister from the Warsaw Ghetto and "wears her Polish look and walks her Polish walk" so as not to be recognized as Jewish. It tells the story of a little known incident when the Jewish underground in Warsaw used cats to thwart the Gestapo at a train station.

Anyway, I thought the book was really touching and told a story about a terrible time in history in a way that introduces children to what was happening but not in a way that goes into the actual horrors that existed. I never really had thought about pictures books covering this topic. I just searched the web and found that there are a few - though not many. I think it would be a very challenging thing to write a picture book for young ones on this topic. Anyway if anyone else is covering this time period as it relates to John Paul II's life this book is an interesting addition for young ones.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2005 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

MaryM wrote:
Anyway, I thought the book was really touching and told a story about a terrible time in history in a way that introduces children to what was happening but not in a way that goes into the actual horrors that existed. I never really had thought about pictures books covering this topic. I just searched the web and found that there are a few - though not many. I think it would be a very challenging thing to write a picture book for young ones on this topic. Anyway if anyone else is covering this time period as it relates to John Paul II's life this book is an interesting addition for young ones.

I will have to check out the book! I can't believe I missed a Karen Hesse book.

Another book on this topic is The Butterfly by Patricia Polacco. I am trying to complete a unit study on it before the Yom HaShoah holiday in May.   The Butterfly is harsh at moments (in my opinion). Amazon has it listed as ages 4-8, but there is no way I would feel comfortable reading the book to a 4 year old. I do think the book is well written (Polacco doesn't really let me down...ever! ;) ). If anyone decides to read the book, you must read the author's note at the end.

If anyone wants a copy of the unit study, just e-mail me, and I will let you know when it is ready to go (hopefully by the end of next week!). :) Ami

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Thanks to whoever recommend a Jim Aylesworth book...........WE want to recommend also by him:

The Full Belly Bowl........it is a cute story about charity, greed, and more.............with fun illustrations. All ages liked it here! Se if your library has it!

I have a bunch of books from this author.........will have to see how the others pan out.

sunny but cool

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 23 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

While I was getting Lissa's recommendation: The Floating House.............I ordered most of the other books by Scott Russell Sanders

Warm as Wool is very good.........and based on history: 1803.....nice story, great illustrations

and Crawdad Creek has lovely pictures and a good story line........worth looking at, useful for nature study.........but the flow of the language is not as smooth and pretty

Chari.........who may post more......I have LOTS of new picture books from the library this week!!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 09 2005 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

How about this...

Not too far from the college where Libby will be studying chamber music this summer, is The Eric Carle Picture Book Museum. Really.

Now, with both fine music and great lit/art to offer, who will camp with us in western Mass. this summer? Hm??

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2005 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

My son picked this book up off the shelf at the library today at random. Turned out to be a pretty fun pick...

The Poombah of Badoombah
by Dee Lillegard/Kevin Hawkes

The amazon description is below. I found the illustrations to be quite exciting and captivating. And the words very fun.

This book is perfect if you are doing any studies with your(younger)kids about India.

I'm always cautious of books with 'magic' in them, but this is pretty light-hearted stuff.

Amazon.com
The Poombah of Badoombah--a powerful, energy-infusing sorcerer--makes pots leap out of clay and fabulous carpets fly off the loom, but he also gleefully sends "a pudgy rajah swirling to the public bath" and a "nervous dervish whirling down a curvish path." One day, the magical Poombah goes too far: he pulls the elephant right out from under a government official and his howdah, which is a fine howdah-you-do. The city people are furious, and the Poombah, now a pariah, flees to the countryside to grow Badoombah beans, and, as we all know, "a bowl of Badoombah beans or two is all one needs for a hullabaloo." Dee Lillegard, author of The Wild Bunch, poombahs a wildly ebullient rhyming story, and Kevin Hawkes's rich, full-bleed paintings of swarming street bazaars in India explode with color and excitement. Explanatory notes, cleverly presented, define Indian terms such as howdah and nabob, and make-believe ones as well, including Poombah ("to impart, or infuse with, extraordinary energy") and Badoombah beans, Lillegard's son's invention. Kids will love this bouncing ride through the streets of India, with the contagious joie de vivre of the playful Poombah. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2005 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

MacBeth wrote:
How about this...

Not too far from the college where Libby will be studying chamber music this summer, is The Eric Carle Picture Book Museum. Really.

Now, with both fine music and great lit/art to offer, who will camp with us in western Mass. this summer? Hm??

I live in western Ma. We went to the Eric Carle Museum for the first time last week. I have to admit, I've never been camping... At what college will Libby be studying?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 10 2005 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Libby will be at Mount Holyoke's Musicorda program. I'll be going back and forth all summer, I guess, and this museum seems like fun! I jhave not figured out all the camping arrangements yet, but I'll post them in The Great Outdoors Forum when I have them all laid out.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hey MacBeth,
    I went to Smith, just down the road from Mount Holyoke. The Pioneer Valley has lots of great hiking and back roads to bike (or at least, it USED to, presume it still does). Take your bikes if you can. Warning, tho, Northampton, next to South Hadley, is major strange these days, very "alternative". Of course, you live in NYC, so it's probably no great shakes to you all. Still, a "headzup" doesn't hurt.
    On a more pleasant note, you should read the fun Summer read, "A Joyful Noise" by Janet Gillespie. Her father was head of the Theology Dept or some such thing at Mount Holyoke (before he moved to Princeton), and it's about her youth with her four or five brothers and sisters. Very entertaining and positive. Mount Holyoke is a beautiful campus, too, very inspiring.
     Ah, good memories. You'll have a great time, I'm sure.   

Enviously, Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote soodow

We are heading to the Eric Carle Museum next week with a few families from NH! Two weeks ago we went to Norman Rockwell Museum - enjoyed by all (5-45 yr olds!) in Stockbridge, MA. We were also wondering about your camping plans Macbeth...would love to have you up here in NH again... we'll be looking for your post!
Sue in NH
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version