Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent wreaths and Jesse Trees? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Maybe you could post your Advent saints symbols idea that you shared on CCM last year here?

I really like to have the tree up early in December (because this was always a tradition at my house growing up) but as I learned more about the need to keep the Advent season preparatory and waiting, many people would say not to have or decorate the tree until much closer to Christmas. Well, I heard from a friend the idea of having a bare tree set up early and adding
decorations in conjunction with feast days that came in early Advent - the examples they gave were putting candy canes on in for St. Nicholas Day and the lights on St. Lucy Day. That idea sounded good and fitting with the waiting of Advent but I was still anxious to add more so we have come up with a tradition of adding something for each day of the early part of Advent (actually December). It’s hrad to wait until the13th to add the lights (St. Lucy Day) because those are hard to put on after you have already started adding other decorations, so we do put those on at the beginning. (Somewhere I just read that could be the reference to creation – “let there be light”). Then we add purple ribbon and small purple ball ornaments symbolizing the
Advent colors. Then each day for the first 2 weeks of December we add ornaments or pictures related to the Feast day or Saint's day. Sometimes there are no major saints for a day and we have to dig a little deeper to
get an idea for that day

Here are the ideas we have used to symbolize the different Feast Days/Saint's Days as we decorate our tree during Advent.

November 30 - St Andrew: fish or St. Andrew's cross X

December 1 - St. Edmund Campion: partridge in pear tree ornament (English martyr during persecution in England -some connect the 12 Days of Christmas song to catechism of this time of persecution in England)

December 2 - St Bibiana: white flower (symbolizing virgin martyr

December 3 - St Francis Xavier: origami ornaments (connection- Francis was missionary to the orient) or ship and crucifix or globe.

December 4 - St. John Damescene: picture or statue of Our Lord (connection- His eloquent defense of Christian images has given him the title of "Doctor of Christian Art.")

December 5 - St. Sabas: tiny basket (connection- story of him weaving willow baskets to trade for food)

December 6 - St. Nicholas: candy canes or 3 bags of gold

December 7 - St Ambrose: Honey comb ornament w/bees (The title "Honey Tongued Doctor," initially bestowed because of his speaking and preaching ability, led
to the use of a beehive and bees in his iconography, symbols which also indicate wisdom.)

December 8 - Feast of Immaculate Conception: white ball ornaments for purity

December 9 - St. Juan Diego: small silk roses

December 10 - Pope St. Gregory III: images or icons of Jesus, Mary or saints (Emperor Leo II attacked the veneration of holy images as idolatry and condemned
them and wanted them destroyed. Gregory called a synod that approved strong measures against anyone who would try to destroy images of Jesus, Mary, or the saints)

December 11 - St Damasus I: small Bible or picture of Bible (Saint Damasus is most famous for commissioning Saint Jerome to translate the Scriptures into Latin, the Vulgate version of the Bible.)

December 12 - Our Lady of Guadalupe: Ornament with image of OLOG

December 13 - St. Lucy: candles (we use electric clip-ons or paper candles)

December 14 - St. John of the Cross: ornate cross ornament

About this time we usually break down and decorate the tree with other Christmas ornaments as there are few other major feast days until Christmas. From December 17-24 symbols of the O Antiphons can be added. See Jenn's work on Catholic Culture page.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jenn, this is something you wrote to me in conjunction with this idea of the combined Jesse/Saint tree. Thought is was a good explanation to post as in relation to my previous post.

"As the Jesse Tree brings us to remember our Salvation History, prefiguring and prophesizing the Birth of Christ, having saint symbols for each day give someone to invoke who has lived their faith during the "fulfillment" of our Salvation History through their Catholic faith. This is an example of the Communion of Saints. We pray to the saint for help in preparing for the coming of Jesus in our hearts at Christmas. We use the Jesse Tree to remind us of the longing and waiting and hope, and we use the saints as examples and helpers in our conversion."

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Mary! You are the greatest! I just love this idea! I said it before...I think it should be published. Heart & Mind or Faith and Family maybe?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A mom on the CCM list had a fabulous idea of making miniature diaramas to hang on the Jesse Tree. I loved this idea. The figures were made with Sculpey.

Another way to create customized ornaments is to use Perler Beads. My family has a love/hate relationship with these. They are easy to use, the kids love them, but they look so similar to the plastic canvas needlework...and we just don't like that! We had some overzealous people who made a LOT of plastic canvas (my m-i-l has quite a few objects she made around the house)...and you just can't get rid of that "look." Yet, we keep making things out of the beads!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Marybeth wrote:
Does anyone decorate 2 separate trees-one Jesse and one Christmas?

Just curious...

Marybeth

We do. We have a bare branch for the Jesse tree ornaments and then an evergreen Christmas tree.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2005 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Has anyone seen this booklet by Marilyn S. Breckenridge on Jesse Tree Devotions?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2005 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

If you haven't read any of Mother Mary Francis' books, you should. They are quite delightful! I thought I would share a wonderful way they approach the Advent wreath in the Poor Clare convent. From A Right to be Merry by Mother Mary Francis, P.C.C., p. 90 (at least my copy!).
In Advent, we gather each Sunday evening in the community room under the big green wreath that swings above our heads on long purple ribbons. There are four tall candles set in the wreath, and each week Mother Abbess lights one more, first sprinkling the wreath and us with holy water and then reciting the day's collect, full of the Church's immense yearning for he coming of the little Redeemer. Come! Come! Come!" And we stand under the wreath where the Isaias-candle burns, and the St. John Baptist-candle, and the St. Joseph-candle joined at last by the Mary-candle; and we sing: "Veni, veni, Emmanuel." The monastery is on tiptoe with expectation, and the colored ropes and bells and stars that happy-faced nuns will soon be draping and pinning all over the monastery take their meaning from these prayers and these Office chants.

The last days of Advent, we stand in our choir stalls and sing the glorious O's of the waiting Church. The youngest postulant, looking terribly important and heavy with her responsibility, goes to the tower to ring the great Maria-bell (Miguel, the smaller bell, will join Maria on Christmas Eve), while the nuns chant: "O Wisdom...O Key...O King...Come!"
Emphasis mine. I like the idea of naming the candles after the principle characters of our Advent season.

The second paragraph refers to the O Antiphons...my FAVORITE part of Advent!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version