Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Ignatius Press History Texts... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Vanna
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Vanna

Does anyone use these? The website says that there are 5 texts but I could only find 2 (From Sea to Shining Sea and All Ye Lands)? What are the others? Do you like these? Also, do you feel it necessary to buy the teacher's manual?

Thank you!
Back to Top View Vanna's Profile Search for other posts by Vanna

italianalaskan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 14 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote italianalaskan

I bought From Sea to Shining Sea this year with the intention of using it with my 5th grader.
The book is well layed out, beautiful pictures, but too hard for my son to read and I didn't have the time nor the willingness to read so much to him.
Keep in mind my son doesn't particularly like to read. So another 5th grader might not have any trouble going through it by himself.

I bought the teacher's manual, but I wouldn't suggest buying it because it is a repetition of same questions over and over. The book itself already has questions at the end of each chapters. I thought the teacher's manual had suggestions on crafts and further studies, but all it does is giving you a list of living books to read.

Simona
Back to Top View italianalaskan's Profile Search for other posts by italianalaskan

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I personally really liked the tm. It provided, I thought, more questions to ponder and helped me not having to read the entire chapter myself, saved me time. I was able to skim the chapter, go over the questions, had the tm with the answers and knew how well she got it or not. We also did a lot of supplementing, like having the living books to read as well, so the list it provided was great!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 14 2008 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

From Sea to Shining Sea and All Ye Lands are the only two that are currently available from Ignatius. The third to be published A Light to the Nations: The Development of Christian Civilization (Vol. 1) is newly published and limited availability.

There are two more in production, Volume 2 of A Light to the Nations and another American history text. Both of those are the ones intended to be high school texts. I believe that there are a couple more planned (which would get to the 7 mentioned). I have heard that the ones in production are just waiting on funding.

From Sea to Shining Sea: The Story of America - at the Ignatius site says grade 5. It was really meant to be primarily a Jr. High text and they give a range of grade 5-9, so depending on child could be used earlier of later than jr. high.

All Ye Lands: World Cultures and Geography is also meant for Jr. High age with the range from the project team being listed as grade 6-9. Ignatius lists it as a 6th grade text.

It seems that Ignatius listed them specifically for the grade that was the lower limit of the range given by the Catholic Schools Textbook Project team.

The Catholic School's Textbook Project has a website with information. That is the only place I have seen A Light to the Nations for sale. The website also has some sample chapters that you can download to get a feel for the books.

We have both of the first two. I like them. I also have the Teachers Manuals and I find them helpful but not necessary and personally would have liked them to have more hands-on and "rabbit trail" ideas, but you have to remember that these were intended for Catholic schools. They are pretty traditional in that sense for teacher's manuals.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

We used From Sea to Shining Sea this year (5th grade), and we'll use All Ye Lands next year. The TM has been very useful for tests and answers to the Chapter Checkpoints. I feel really good about these textbooks--they have a real Catholic flavor, but in a very natural way. They are definitely TEXTBOOKS, so if you prefer a living books approach to history, these might not be your cup of tea. Or you could supplement, as the above poster mentioned.

As to the level of difficulty, I think the reading and the chapter checkpoints and the tests are challenging. My 5th grader is more on the advanced side, and she doesn't have any problems with it, but I could see how my other kids might find it tough. I'll let you know when they get there! It would be pretty easy to modify, unless your child is not a reader, which as Simona posted, could require a lot more reading aloud than some parents are able to do.
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I used Sea to Shining Sea this year as my background so I could plan our history units. It gave me a feel for what came next and what to cover under a topic, then I looked for living books to cover the important points. I referred to the text as needed, but my fourth grade student only read the Catholic supplements. I think they are lovely books and I found it really helpful as a mom manual for planning our study. We are doing the second half of American history next year and I will use it in the same way.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I was wondering about buying the Seton Textbooks as a spine but I think I will wait the 2 years and buy these instead. Thanks.

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

My son is 11 years old in the 6th grade. He read through All Ye Lands (and narrated it) in a few months and is now going through All Ye Lands. He LOVES them and now his younger brother is begging to start reading them as well. My son doens't find them boring at all.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version