Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Pumpkins Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My son is young, so this isn't necessarily for this year. But I just finished reading Pumpkin Moonshine by Tasha Tudor and he just loved it. I also got this month's issue of Martha Stewart Living and he's poring over the pictures and squealing about "How Many Pumpkins!!"

I tend to downplay Halloween's scary aspects, but I do a Pumpkin Moonshine or Jack-o-Lantern. I'd love any book suggestions for younger children on this type of subject...including growing them, the seeds, etc.

Also, my sister is in charge of the local homeschool group's PE class. I had an idea of making a pumpkin rolling race (I was thinking of Tudor's book) and wondered if anyone has done anything like that? Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
he's poring over the pictures and squealing about "How Many Pumpkins!!"

I'd love any book suggestions for younger children on this type of subject...including growing them, the seeds, etc.

Considering his comment this book might be right up his alley. My favorite pumpkin book is Too Many Pumpkins. Very funny book. Wish you didn't have to worry about allergies, otherwise you could then bake all the goodies the book talks about.

Another great pumpkin activity book is Kids Pumpkin Projects.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
I'd love any book suggestions for younger children on this type of subject...including growing them, the seeds, etc.

A really simple yet beautifully illustrated book for young ones is Jeanne Titherington's Pumpkin, Pumpkin. Just the book for a toddler or preschooler.

Some jack-o-lantern and funny pumpkin books are:
Dr. Pompo's Nose - totally different "perspective" on pumpkin faces
Pumpkin Heads!-low text, vivid pictures (does have one pumpkin face decorated as a witch and one picture with some around a house decorated with paper ghost and bat)
Pumpkin Jack _ I remember this one being really entertaining - would have to read it again to make sure of age range.

jenngm67 wrote:
Also, my sister is in charge of the local homeschool group's PE class. I had an idea of making a pumpkin rolling race (I was thinking of Tudor's book) and wondered if anyone has done anything like that? Suggestions? Comments?

Have not done this but it sounds like a fun idea. Wondering if using some of those realistic looking fake pumpkins from the craft store would be a good way to go. Then the real pumpkins wouldn't get scratched or bruised (although they are pretty hardy). The fake ones are really light so would be easier for really little ones to roll.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Pumkin "pie" potpourri from Martha Stewart - we did this last year. "Use a pumpkin incense burner to suggest the cozy scent of pie just out of the oven. Use a small pumpkin. Cut off the pumpkin's top and scrape out the innards; carve round vents with an apple corer (or knive). Rub cinnamon or pumpkin-pie spice onto the lid, or push cloves into it. With a lighted tealight candle inside, the pumpkin will give off a lovely fragrance for about six hours."

Our Domestic Church

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Mary, what a neat idea! I'm putting this on our calendar so I don't forget! Thanks for sharing,

stef

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Mary, great idea. My children will love this. So nice to have a doable Martha Stewart idea, at last. Her ideas are always so creative...and difficult!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This weekend was pumpkin weekend. My dh has Penn State football tickets, so we travel to Altoona, PA to stay with his mother and go to the game. I usually come along, so that Nana can spend time with her grandson. Right now, dh and his mother go to the game...I go shopping with ds.

My m-i-l decorates her house from porch to back lawn for each holiday of the year...so ds was running all over the house counting the pumpkins. "So many pumpkins!!" Then a visit to dh's aunt's house who has a little pumpkin patch brought him a small pumpkin of his own.

We watched the video Take Joy! about Tasha Tudor, which talked about her first published book, Pumpkin Moonshine which ds loves, so he was enthralled. We bought two huge pumpkins at the local pharmacy. And, the piece de resistance, we stopped in Delaplane, VA off of Route 17 at the Sky Meadows State Park which has 8 acres of pick your own pumpkin patch. It was lovely, and ds was THRILLED. For local VA residents, I highly recommend it!

Can someone give me information on discerning what type of pumpkins are used for pies and others that are merely carvable?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Can someone give me information on discerning what type of pumpkins are used for pies and others that are merely carvable?

The varieties which are actually grown as pie pumpkins are best for cooking. They are smaller pumpkins and are sold as pie pumpkins not the jack-o-lantern ones. The jack-o-lantern pumpkins are thinner walled and usually have a paler flesh than the pie pumpkins. They are more stringy than the jack-o-lantern ones. Now all that being said, I often cook with the jack-o-lantern pumpkins anyway. It still works.

Our Domestic Church

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I usually cook with the canned pumpkin I buy at Wal-Mart! Sorry, couldn't resist throwing this post in here!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marybeth wrote:
I usually cook with the canned pumpkin I buy at Wal-Mart! Sorry, couldn't resist throwing this post in here!

I don't get it in Wal-Mart, but I tend to do the same. The pumpkin pies that I've tasted from *scratch* weren't very good.

I found a few interesting recipes for pumpkin that I thought I'd post if I get some time.

When I taught first grade I did a project that the kids and I enjoyed immensely. Probably everyone has done it at one time and I'm just behind the time! The class went to a real farm and pick-your-own-pumpkin-patch and I picked a large one for the classroom. We carved it into a Jack-O-Lantern. I baked the pumpkin seeds and shared them with the class.

Then our pumpkin sat in his place of honor for a week or so. We made blank booklets and then every day the children would chronicle his rotting self with pictures and descriptions (those that could write). They especially wanted to relate that the pumpkin stank! It was fun and memorable.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
    I don't get it in Wal-Mart, but I tend to do the same. The pumpkin pies that I've tasted from *scratch* weren't very good.
Now, Jenn, I'll have to bake you a pie. Mine are always a hit and they are made from scratch. Last fall there was a discussion of pumpkins and recipes for making pumkpin mash on the 4 Real Group. I know it's harder to search the archives there but it was just about this time last year I believe.

jenngm67 wrote:

Then our pumpkin sat in his place of honor for a week or so. We made blank booklets and then every day the children would chronicle his rotting self with pictures and descriptions (those that could write).

Then I think you really would enjoy the book I mentioned above, Pumpkin Jack. It's the story of a decaying jack-o-lantern.

Our Domestic Church

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We like the silliness of The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis.

I was thinking of getting some small pumpkins for my dh to decorate and keep on our front porch. We don't plan to carve our larger pumpkin until 10/30. This way dh gets to do some decorating, and it doesn't seem so long until the end of the month.

We always watch our pumpkin rot each year. It is always funny to see the squirrels scamper around and chase each other over who gets the first bite.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I wish there was an emoticon for a squeal of delight. I was just watching a bit of Martha and she had a delightful craft of Glitter Pumpkins. There's no picture on this website yet, but let me tell you, these pumpkins are elegant and beautiful! Not scary. I love glass glitter, and these just looked so classy. So for your small and medium sized pumpkins, here's another crafty idea.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, she had a good suggestion to paint the pumpkin with glue and glitter half at a time. And don't hold the pumpkin by the stem!

My little son loved watching these!

Oh, and just perusing the Art Glitter Catalog...I can see a big order coming! Great glitter selections!

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Jenn,
We use pie pumpkins and squashes-butternut was my MIL's favorite and the children like hubbard. I run the cooled pulp through the food processor to get rid of strings. The extra goes into the freezer in 2 cup portioned bags, enough for a pie and 2 bags are enough for dinner.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version