Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Let's Talk Baby Boy Saints Names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

knowloveserve wrote:

I like Matthias but am convinced he'd be called Matt.

I have a Matthias and his name hasn't been shortened by strangers, yet. (BTW, I would be mortified if people started calling him Matt!) One weird thing we get, is that people pronounce it MATH-e-us????

In our home we shorten in to TY or Tyus. Not that I like nick names but because my youngest at the time couldn't say 'M' when it tried to say it it came out Tyus. Is stuck and I think it cute.    

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Oh, and if you really want to turn heads.....

use Melchizedek for a middle name!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Betsy wrote:
knowloveserve wrote:

I like Matthias but am convinced he'd be called Matt.

I have a Matthias and his name hasn't been shortened by strangers, yet. (BTW, I would be mortified if people started calling him Matt!) One weird thing we get, is that people pronounce it MATH-e-us????

In our home we shorten in to TY or Tyus. Not that I like nick names but because my youngest at the time couldn't say 'M' when it tried to say it it came out Tyus. Is stuck and I think it cute.    

The first Matthias I knew was when I visited Germany, and they say it Mah-TEE-us, and I have a nephew called Mah-THY-us, so apparently there are a few ways to say it, though I'm pretty sure MATHeus isn't one of the

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

knowloveserve wrote:
Also, I love Ignatius for a middle name. I spent too much time in Mexico where the Ignacios were called "Nacho"... so that burnt it for me on first names where I have the wierd quirk of sometimes calling my children by the Spanish version of their names. Xavier's Spanish name even gets shortened to "Javi" (ha-VEE) on occasion.      Miriam and Leo are the only ones to escape this habit...

Thank you. The manager of lawn care people my husband oversees for work is Nacho, and we were a bit baffled by that. I'll have to tell him

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We have a Henry Charles, Karl Josef, Victor Leo, Albert Lindsay, and Frederick Lawrence. Frederick is our only nickname baby, we are calling him Fritz. We decided that we had to choose his nickname from the get go i f we didn't want him to be called Fred or Freddy.

I do think Lawrence looks good alongside your other names.

I like Albert, of course, but I know a family with a Magnus, and that could look good with your other names, though it has the S at the end like Matthias.

I actually like the name George and have been trying to convince dh for a few babies, but this time, I was relieved he didn't go for it since this guy was born a week after the royal baby, and I'm not sure we could have lived that down

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Xavier is often Xav (Zaiv) here too.
Leo is Leo or lengthened to Leo Max
Dominic only gets shortened by the kids who affectionately call him "donkey" or "donka" because the baby can't pronounce it right.
Miriam is sometimes Meer.
Henry is Henry or "henny" as he calls himself.

I like Jerome too but dh exercised veto power on that. I told dh that our next boy's middle name will be Escrivá whether he likes it or not.

Other names I've entertained in a similar vein are:

Campion, Vitus, Brendan (was bigger in the 80s, not so much now), Bellarmine (in the middle), Owen, Pascual, Kolbe, Killian...

We know a Melchisadek! He is currently known as "Father Mel" so maybe the name guided the vocation?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Betsy
I like that derivative! Good to know. so have you called one of your boy's Melchizedek?

Lindsay
Your names are so regal. We did have Lawrence on our list till yesterday and then... clean slate    
Oh and I know what you mean about George, dh has always wanted George but I pointed out yesterday everyone will think we are being copy cats.

Knowloveserve
How funny some friends little ones used to call our Dominic donkey! So now our husbands have the same tastes too!! It fits. My brother is Brendan (call tell you all 15 names if interested, mostly Gaelic and Catholic evergreen for middle)
One of my brother's took Pascual for his middle name and it was our parish priest's name!
and until yesterday we had Kolbe on the list and I kept suggesting Killian!! Wow really a Melchisadek! suppose the beginning is too similar to Malachi.

Going through my mega baby name book again slowly and am up to the Es. Actually I like Elijah but the kids really, really don't want it.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Yes Erin,
list all you brother's names please. I just love seeing all the different combinations!
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Erin wrote:
Betsy
I like that derivative! Good to know. so have you called one of your boy's Melchizedek?

Melchizedek is one of my son's middle names. I love it! When he was born and we sent out announcements it created quite a stir. The Brothers who Baptized him only called him Melchizedek, which was so precious. I will be honest, I did have to keep a piece of paper with Melchizedek spelled out in the beginning because I had such bad baby brain that I struggled spelling it....    Now I think that is really funny......but they guy at the Social Security office didn't think so.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Betsy

Totally get baby brain, don't know why he didn't think it funny. I recall when I had my last baby and had to ring SS they wanted his birthdate and I totally couldn't remember the date (knew the month- they were asking for security question) anyway they are prompting, and took a rough estimate, I was out by 5 days

What a lovely story about your son's name

okay brothers:
Christopher Andrew Michael
Brendan Gerard Anthony
Kieren Fredrick Joseph
Dominic Ambrose James
Callan Francis Patrick

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Baby brain is REAL!

I actually told one group of friends that my Albert's name was Alfred when he was born.

And just last week when I took the baby into the doctor's office, I signed the sheet in with Albert's name. He wasn't even there The receptionist was so flustered having looked and looked and couldn't find an appointment for an Albert that day

And today, I stood at the receptionist desk after my eye exam trying to remember all the boys' names and birthdays to schedule theirs, and it was really hard! It's when they ask for things like so and so's middle initial or trying to remember the year they were born. I tell you 6/4/06 and 6/6/04 are hard to keep straight, and then once they switch from every other even year to the odds, it all becomes a mish-mash! Of course, I was also trying to save the glasses displays from the 2 year old who had sat quietly for more than an hour already and was almost to the limit!

Dh recommended that I keep a card in my purse with all the boys names and birthdays written out so I can just hand it to people to put into the computer. I thouoght that was such a good idea!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh definately.. keep your dh's info on the card too! You'll appreciately it so much especially in an emergency and you have even less brain than baby brain.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

What I find really hard is when you go for your first ob/midwife visit and they want to know birth weight, hours of labour, problems etc. Dh is far, far better at remembering all that than me.

Several babies back I got sick of trying to remember, and it takes so long for your initial visit to go through it all. So one night dh and I sat down and went through the children's baby books and our memories and wrote it all down into a spreadsheet. After each birth when fresh in our minds we update. And so now before each new ob/midwife visit I just print out my sheet and whip it out when they ask. I believe I have quite a reputation with the midwives now, they ask when I book, and you'll bring your sheet?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Oh and Lindsay, your story is hilarious Kisses to little Alfred, whoops mean Albert

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Oh, Erin--your parents really took all the names, didn't they! LOL

Everytime nurses/insurance/etc. ask for a listing of all the kids' names and birthdays, I joke with a smile, "Is this an exam or something?" That's just to prepare them for the fact that I'm going to get at least one of them wrong. Once I had people ask for what time each child was born. I just started laughing.

Thank you guys for sharing your names! This is giving me some options for the future.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Okay, I have to go back to earlier in this thread to see the request. We have a Benjamin Martin (middle name saint though there is a St Benjamin, lesser known), Thomas Michael, Joseph Cyril, and William Francis. And Emily Claire is our daughter. We are having another boy in January and we had mostly been thinking of girl names, thinking surely this would be another girl. But no, we get our basketball team boy #5 so two more boy names are needed. I'll be looking through for inspiration. I like Jerome and Lawrence as those are family names but I think either would be a middle name so I guess we have to have one more boy eventually....

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version