Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Let's Talk Baby Boy Saints Names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Martha wrote:
Wolfgang is a saint name.

Just saying....

If either of us get truly desperate, we can be fairly certain there won't be a whole lot of little Wolfgangs in kindergarten RE in 5 years...

Martha, you make me laugh!   

Our neighbor's name was Wolfgang, but then he was born in Germany and isn't Catholic...

What about:
Lawrence
Felix
Basil
Hugh
Theonas
Finan or Finian

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I had an uncle Aloysius who went by "Alex" - his burial records read "Alois," which is even stranger.

Bastian is the most common nickname for Sebastian I know. My Alsatian ancestor was named Sebastien. His sons were (get this!) in French: Jean, Jean Thiebaud, Joseph and Sebastien. Jean Thiebaud anglicized his name to John Theobald.

I don't see Robert on your current list - dignified name, kind of out of use now - or Kenneth.

Here are some of my favorites:

Robert
Nicholas
Anthony (my pal from Padova!)
Benedict (Ben for short)
Vincent/Vincenzo
Kenneth
Stephen/Stefano
Mark/Marc
Seamus (James in Irish)

My husband suggests:

Paul
Martin
Bede
Cyril
Michael

In the USA, Elmo won't work (Muppet character), which is too bad, since St. Elmo/St. Erasmo in Italian is the patron saint of sailors.

One of my friends named her youngest son Leo (they stick with names of Popes).

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We have Leo as a middle name. Its a good one

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I love that you already have a Dominic. We just had a Dominic Michael. Our oldest son is John Paul. I know he isn't a saint yet, but will be soon!
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I have a friend with 3 sons:
Leo
Gregor
Ignatius

I would love to name a son Joseph Michael Maria or
John Clemens Maria. ...alas...

What about naming a son after blessed John Cardinal Newman?

St. Benno
St. Bruno
St. Korbinian
St. Norbert
Bl. Clemens August v. Galen
St. Charles or Karl Borromeo
St. Martin
St. Nicholas

I'm just throwing some names out there that may not have been mentioned yet.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A recent baby boy name in our area is:

Becket Sheen-Marie

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MaryM wrote:
A recent baby boy name in our area is:

Becket Sheen-Marie

Oh, wow! Now that's loading 'em in

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha wrote:
We have taken to calling this expectant 7th son "Poor No Name ------"

Tho I have a bit more time to get a name, I also have a lot less options to choose from!

Martha

How remarkable that we are both at this point together again. I've been combing through the baby name archives and keep coming across you and I two years ago Please excuse my pregnant mushy brain, what did you call your last son?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Tobias Xavier.

He is going to be 7 years old in a few months!

My last pregnancy ended up a girl, named her Phoebe.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Here I am re-reading this thread that I started 5 years and three pregnancies ago!!

so yeah I'm backing combing through all the suggestions, writing them down. Gee we came up with some terrific names here!!

Realised I never updated with our last baby here. So just in case you were wondering, we called him
Sebastian Vianney, see you all named him and the baby prior.

To update in one post we now have 6 boys and their names are:
Dominic Francis
Xavier Michael
Malachi Joseph
Saxon Patrick
Ignatius James
Sebastian Vianney

We chose not to find out what we are having, so whilst we have three beautiful girl choices we love, and all agree on (that's major, not just dh and I but all the kids have an opinion!) We are back here re-reading your recommendations for a boy, because we are not calling him 'newborn baby' (ds4 choice).

Must say the list is brilliant, am feeling like I have some ideas now, certainly for the middle name, and possibly for the first.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Ha! We ended up naming "Poor No Name _____" Levi Thaddeus!

I FINALLY got my red-headed baby.

He is a crazy cute, spoiled by 9 siblings, getting into everything 2 year old now.   

Oh no.

Erin, does this mean I should prep for being pregnant with you again?! Pretty sure that's highly unlikely.

I'm still gunning for Wolfgang. I really love that name.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha
Reading back through the old chats I wondered what you had named 'poor no name', so great to know and lovely choice.

My worry is baby no 10 will just get 'the scraps'. I did wonder if you were pregnant again mind you I'm 5 months now, so times a tickin' girl

Sounds like my 2yr old, he just knows he is the centre of the world, totally doted on by his sibs and his father and I are just as bad.

Sigh, well I was just sharing with a friend I was seriously considering Matthias after going through these suggestions, and she is convinced Matthias would be shortened, I'm not one to like names shortened (which is the only reason I'm not agreeing to Benedict) So do you think Matthias would be shortened?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh no Erin.. baby #10 wraps everyone around their bitty fingers and gets more attention than might be good for them

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I have a Mathias! But it's a middle name. I think people will call him what you say to call him.

You are the second person to suggest I'm pregnant. The other one thought I might be having triplets?!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would say Matthias is much less likely to be shortened than Matthew.

And it's all well and good that they will call him what you say, until he has a different idea. My Matthew was Matthew until he was 10 ish and had someone call him Matt and he liked it! so these days he's Matt.. though I still occationally call him "Boy".. that was my nickname for him when he was small.. reference to Peter Pan where Wendy calls Pan "Boy".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I don't like shortened names either. As an update, our children are:

Xavier James
Leo Maximilian
Dominic Vianney
Miriam Thérèse
Henry Benedict

Will find out next week if this next one is a boy or girl. Boy names we like are Ambrose, Ephrem, Cyprian, Sebastian...

I like Matthias but am convinced he'd be called Matt.
Love Beckett but can't use it with our surname.
Love Albert but it'd be shortened.

Raphael?
Isidore?
Athanasius?
Anselm?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jodie
sorry wasn't clear, I meant the name scraps, you just run out of great names that you both agree on. and I would have thought Matthias was less likely to be shortened, he has a cousin Matt too and extra deterrent to shortening his name.

Martha
More thinking that we've been pregnant together the last few times.

Knowloveserve
Really incredible how we have such similar tastes in names, we have 5 of your names!! and I'm strongly drawn to another 2!
so we're pregnant together again!! when are you due? I'm due 18th December.I'm voting for Sebastian for your next really goes
Suggested some of your extra suggestions but the kids didn't like them, sigh.

Does anyone thing naming a child harder than labour? Nay scratch that.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Ha! No I love naming babies! I wish I could name everyone's kids!    How cool that you have some of our names! We rarely meet people with those names... have known a couple other Dominics and Miriams; Xavier once or twice. Henry is only two so that remains to be seen. Still haven't met a Leo under the age of 60!

Does your Sebastian get nicknamed by people? And which other two names are drawing you?

I'm due Jan.. 17th. At first I was relieved that it'd be AFTER the Christmas rush. Then I realized that school falls by the wayside during Christmas... then a new baby... By the time we're said and done, it'll be a 2 month winter break! oh well, God provides.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Also, I love Ignatius for a middle name. I spent too much time in Mexico where the Ignacios were called "Nacho"... so that burnt it for me on first names where I have the wierd quirk of sometimes calling my children by the Spanish version of their names. Xavier's Spanish name even gets shortened to "Javi" (ha-VEE) on occasion.      Miriam and Leo are the only ones to escape this habit...

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 4:23am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Knowloveserve
I was telling dh this morning about how similiar we are in our name choices, so he was eager to know what you called your other boys.

The kids are really keen on Maximilian but I can see it very easily shortened, so it is out. And then Benedict was in the running yesterday too but dh finally decided it reminded him too much of someone else. Matthias I've decided doesn't look strong with our surname (too many s' altogether). Sigh so everything is now crossed out!

This morning dh decided he likes Ronin (I would spell it Ronan) but I can't find it in the saints name book, anyhow I'll sit on it for a few days and see what I think.

I personally love Jerome but he doesn't at all (I've been trying for 20 years )

I was very adament that Sebastian doesn't get Seb (dh wasn't keen on Seb) but if it must get shortened, which he does occasionally by sibs it is Bastian or Bastie (which I 'm sure the later will only be for early childhood)

January is deep in your winter, you could hunker down and read and read. That's what we did the year I had Malachi, all our children were under 6 and we read the entire Beatrix Potter books, one of my favourite memories.

Ignatius does get Nash or Nashie by sibs and very close friends. Xavier occasionaly Xav. and I have a friend due to have a baby and she is seriously considering Leo, I'll have to let you know if she does.

So name away for me please, I seriously need help.
One thing I am glad of, my mum gave all my brothers three names, 5 x 3 equals 15 names, so glad I said to dh 2 names only, thus far finding more than 12 names that say, 'pick me' is a major challenge.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version