Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Let's Talk Baby Boy Saints Names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK a couple names off the top of my head..

Florian (patron of Firefighters so I'm familiar with him)
Blaise (he's the Saint picture on my calender for February)
Karol
Brendan
Barnaby
Elias
Ephraim
Gideon
Lazarath
Lemuel
Thaddeus
Timaeus (pronounced tie-MEE-us so not a "tim" name)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Back to square one hey Erin?    I was only thinking yesterday how the name Aquinas would make a lovely first name for a boy...

I also love Vianney (which I think I had mentioned before.)

It's so lovely to see saints name from long ago make a come back, we know a Bede and a Fabian.

We are really lucky to have such a treasure trove of beautiful Catholic names, of course it's getting two people (mum and dad) to agree together that is the hard part.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

We have Vincent Joseph and Xavier Thomas so far. We're due with a baby in August--we usually don't discuss names until finding out the gender, so we haven't discussed it much yet.

Some on my list for first names or middles:
Edmund (*love* St. Edmund Campion)
Domenic (uncle's name, though)
Conrad
Matthew
Leo (cousin's name, though)
Charles
Andrew
Benedict
Beckett
Fisher (hubby loves St. John Fisher--we are big on the English saints! )
Ambrose
Vianney
Ambrose
Damien

My husband and I only pick names of saints that at least one of us has a devotion to (my husband feels *very* strongly about this). Some of the names I like sound trendy, which I do not want to be at all--it just happens that some of those more unusual saints names are becoming trends now, I think. (I'm thinking of Beckett, Fisher--can't you see a celebrity using one of those. ) We may do it anyway, though.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Anne

I already tried Aquinas, David didn't mind shortening to Quinn (Someone here suggested that) but not quite the one.
I quite like Vianney but there was a girl we know called Vianney so it is now pictured as a girl's name in our mind, kwim?
I went to school with a girl who was one of 16, her youngest two brothers (twins) were Bede and Benedict. As for Fabian (I have met your little parishioner) it reminds David of the Fabian Society. See what I am up against.

Celeste

Benedict has been a possibility on our list for so long but we are quite concerned about how easy it would be to shorten. I just tried Beckett on the children but they weren't keen. I'm trying not to panic.

I did finally have David agree to Sebastian the other day, until he realised it started with an S as does our Saxon. A rule he has, not the same initials, I say I'm desperate enough that I don't care.

If I do manage to get him to cave in on Sebastian, does anyone know of Sebastian's that are shortened to something other than Seb/Sebbie?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Erin wrote:
If I do manage to get him to cave in on Sebastian, does anyone know of Sebastian's that are shortened to something other than Seb/Sebbie?

I had a friend named Sebastian in high school whom we good-naturedly called "Sea Bass." I have a cousin with that name, however, who has always gone by his full name.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

DominaCaeli wrote:
I had a friend named Sebastian in high school whom we good-naturedly called "Sea Bass."

That is funny - a boy my son played soccer with had the same nickname for Sebastian. I thought it was pretty original.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Erin wrote:
Anne

Benedict has been a possibility on our list for so long but we are quite concerned about how easy it would be to shorten. I just tried Beckett on the children but they weren't keen. I'm trying not to panic.

A traditional diminutive for Benedict is Bennet (or Ben for that matter).
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Celeste, Edmund and Conrad are pretty much what we are deciding between. My husband really likes Conrad Solanus as they were both Capuchin porters.

Which, speaking of Solanus, dh has a nephew named "Casey" for Fr. Solanus.

I think you can shorten Sebastien to just Bastien.

Funny about not being able to do Fabian because of the Fabian society. For a long time, I didn't think I could do Benedict even though I loved it because of Benedict Arnold, but then, along comes our pope to take over the connotation! Maybe some day I'll have a Benedict

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

We have a ton of friends that are Sebastian but pronounced the Spanish way (Se- bas- tee-ann) and every singe one of them except one is called "Basti" or "Bastian" (bass tee an) I don't know how to make you understand the sound of those names in Spanish             

Anyone can you help with pronunciations?

I've never heard of the Seb or Sebbie nickname. Just shows how culture changes the name.

Oh and Erin we have the same rule about first name and initials.

I know you have anglo/english names but I could give you a TON of Spanish names if you are up to it

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

CrunchyMom wrote:
Celeste, Edmund and Conrad are pretty much what we are deciding between. My husband really likes Conrad Solanus as they were both Capuchin porters.

Funny! Yes, I love the story of Saint Conrad, though it unforunately doesn't go well with our last name, so it will probably be a middle name for us. And I LOVE Edmund, though I'm not sure about Eddie (and my husband always ends up doing nicknames). But it's probably our front-runner right now.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mimip wrote:
I know you have anglo/english names but I could give you a TON of Spanish names if you are up to it

Yes please. Actually other than Saxon, our other names are; French, Hebrew, Spanish, Latin and Italian.

How strange you have never heard of Seb.

Lindsay, I'd never thought about Benedict Arnold, I guess the cultural differences. I just rang up dh and asked about Beckett and he said, "David Beckett" sigh. As Anne can attest Australian men are notorious for picking names apart, they come up with all sorts of connotations and inappropriate nicknames. A cultural habit.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We mostly do the different initials as well.. but my girls that are 10 yrs apart have the same.. so when I use initials they just get the first two letters of their names (also the shortest of the short forms of their names )

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JodieLyn wrote:
We mostly do the different initials as well..

We, quite unintentionally, gave all 3 girls the same initials (first and last not middle) which are also MY initials. One of our boys too.   

I love reading all these names. I have NO IDEA what we would name another baby. It's so hard finding something you agree on that doesn't remind one of you of someone else!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Our Benedict is usually called by "Ben" or "Benny"

my nephew, "Sebastian is called "Bastian" and my sons friend Sebastian is nicknamed "Basha"
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Aloysius?
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well we both spent time last night surfing the internet, and I was good and didn't flame suggestions immediately, even Aragon, everyone (but me) was really keen on Aragon. In the end dh decided he couldn't do it to the child, I just mildly said it wouldn't fit with our other names and told ds (my LOTR fan) he could name his child Aragon.

I've printed out all your suggestions and am hanging them on the wall, trying to find middle name combinations too.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

So Erin I have been thinking of a bunch of names in Spanish ( Oh and btw I LOVE ARAGON but would not give my child that name either)

So here goes with their English counterparts or meanings or just a list:

Abraam: Old Spanish form of Abraham
Adan: Adam
Agustin: THis is pronounced A- goose- teen from Augustine
Ambrosio: Ambrose
Andres: Andrew

Bernardo: Bernard
Blas: St. Blaise

Carlos: Charles
Carmelo: Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Casimiro: Casimir
Cebrian
Claudio
Cristobal

Diego (I know its not that unique but I desperately wanted this name for my first son and when he was born on the feast day of St. Juan Diego we used it as a middle name)

Efrain: Pronounced Eh- fra- een
Emiliano
Enrique: Henry
Esteban: Stephen

Fabricio: Faa- bree-see- o
Faustino or Fausto
Felipe

Gaspar: Gaas- paar
Gonzalo (Thinking of St. Aloyious Gonzaga)

Jacobo: Haa-ko-bo (J sound is the H sound in English)
Junipero

Leandro:

Marcelino
Marcos
Martin: Maar-teen
Mateo: Maa-te-o
Mauricio
Maximiliano

Octavio

Pascual

I'll be back later to do the next half of the alphabet    These come from a list a book a friend gave me when she came back from living in Spain. They have meanings so if you are looking at a particular one just give me a heads up and I'll find some info

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I really like Behind the Name for a place to look up names.. you can find pronunciations sometimes there too, and names in multiple languages.. and there's a link so that if you clicked on John and then clicked on the "related names" you'd get ones like Juan and Ivan and Jack and other names that share a history with the name John, nicknames, variations, different languages..

-Sir Walter Scott

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erin wrote:
I'm trying to stay calm, I really, really think this poor child will be nameless. (That's if we have a boy) I'm due in 5 weeks and we have no names on the shortlist, arghhhh! Any new suggestions, please!!!!!

We have taken to calling this expectant 7th son "Poor No Name ------"

Tho I have a bit more time to get a name, I also have a lot less options to choose from!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Wolfgang is a saint name.

Just saying....

If either of us get truly desperate, we can be fairly certain there won't be a whole lot of little Wolfgangs in kindergarten RE in 5 years...

Sigh. That used to a marital joke in our house, but the name is actually starting to become a real possibility!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version