Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: ? about vocab. and thesaurus.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Bella

We have never used a vocabulary curriculum, as I figured DD was reading enough quality books, that that would be enough. A local hser has said I must-especially to help DD along with her writing. Can someone please give me your opinion on this, or recommend one.

Also, DD has often complained about our Thesauras. I took a good look at it yesterday, and I have to agree, it is much to be desired. So! Any recommendations on a good Thesauras?

Many thanks,
Christy

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

My oldest dc has a wonderful vocabulary and hasn't done any vocabulary text until right before the SAT. But she is a voracious reader and loves words and constantly looks up new words. My 2 ds on the other hand, do not read a lot and have a much lower vocabulary. Are you doing Latin? I think that helps tremendously.   Also, I remember someone here saying if you speak with a varied vocabulary, that helps as well.

we really love the Synonym Finder. It is huge!

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Synonym Finder. Is this the right book, Lisa? Lots of great reviews! The only criticism on Amazon is that there are no antonyms.

I like to use Wordly Wise because it forces my kids to get themselves comfortable with the dictionary. But I have to agree with Lisa. If your child readily looks up words she doesn't understand in the dictionary, and if you're studying latin, vocabulary should come fairly easily to her.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

My daughter's favorite website is Dictionary Dot Com. She spends hours of her free time on it! She thinks it's a blast, and the features of a thesaurus, and the language translator for words, etc.

We also use it as a resource for school constantly.

Another very popular resource here are the Vocabulary Cartoon books:
Vocabulary Cartoons at Amazon

Vocabulary Cartoons Elementary Edition at Rainbow Resource

There are elementary and high school editions. Rainbow Resource carries both. The high school editions are geared to the SAT vocabulary.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Tina P. wrote:
Synonym Finder. Is this the right book, Lisa? Lots of great reviews! The only criticism on Amazon is that there are no antonyms.

I like to use Wordly Wise because it forces my kids to get themselves comfortable with the dictionary. But I have to agree with Lisa. If your child readily looks up words she doesn't understand in the dictionary, and if you're studying latin, vocabulary should come fairly easily to her.

Yes! That is the one. Great resource.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

TracyQ wrote:
Another very popular resource here are the Vocabulary Cartoon books:
Vocabulary Cartoons at Amazon

Vocabulary Cartoons Elementary Edition at Rainbow Resource

These look like my sons would love them, Tracy. Are these supplemental? Do you *use* a vocab curriculum? For part of the year? Or maybe *some* years? We have on and off used Wordly Wise. It's drudgery to my kids, but I like the sound review and the fact that they have to look things up.

Or do you (as I would like to do ... this is the unschooler in me talking) just present interesting sites and books like the ones above and literature with lots of great vocabulary in it and let nature sort of take its course?

Thanks in advance for your time!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2008 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Tina,
     I haven't done much as far as a formal purchased vocabulary curriculum, but instead have used many resources such as these, and tons of reading to learn vocabulary. We discuss vocabulary and word meanings a lot in our family for some reason, I think because we find it interesting.
     We DO use more formal study of vocabulary when they begin preparation for the SAT. Another resource we've used are books from this series:

100 Words Every Freshman Should Know and 100 Words Every Graduate Should Know

I try to use good vocabulary resources and keep it simple, non-stressful, and more fun, because otherwise, done in a tradional way, it becomes a drudgery, and they kind of *zone out*. It's worked pretty well for us so far.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Hi Ladies!

Oh my! I tried to respond to you, but the site was down for a couple of days.....

I just want to THANKYOU for these suggestions, and taking the time to reply!

DD does not study Latin, and though she reads a lot, other than her Sonlight reading lists, she reads mysteries, and right now, she is persuing a goal of reading the entire Boxcar Children series(even the ones written after the author's death). She has been a reluctant writer, and I haven't pushed it, until this year. I have had a hunch that her lack of vocabulary is a reflection of too much mysteries, and not enough classics, but who knows? She is with me most of the time, and my own vocabulary isn't great . OTOH, DH has an impressive command of our English Language(which sadly hasn't rubbed off on me after all these years ), but he isn't around her as much!
I think with a little help from these book suggestions, and just putting more of an emphasis on how fun and interesting words are, she will develop a better vocabulary... and that will be reflected in her writing.

Perhaps, *I* will even buy the Vocabulary Cartoons, and sneak off with a cup of tea to freshen up my own pocket of words!

Many Thanks!

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version