Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Roald Dahl? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 19 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

What is the general opinion on Roald Dahl? My kids and I truly enjoy his books, but the material sometimes seems questionable. I do appreciate the fact that good always seems to win, and the "bad" characters seem to get their own. It does bother me that the boy in The Witches just stays a mouse ! What is up with that? Anyway, do any of the rest of you enjoy Dahl's books? Are they considered twaddle? I am anxious to hear what you think!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2008 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

We love Roald Dahl here. The very first chapter books my kids managed to sit through were Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach.

His writing is definitely different. I suppose it isn't for everyone, but we just love his books. Dd said her favorite is Matilda.

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I grew up loving these books, as well, but I was allowed to read what I wanted, good and...ummm...not so good. Perhaps these aren't literary classics, but might be considered well-written books appropriate for pleasure reading? I, too would love to hear other opinions on Roald Dahl.

I'd also appreciate any links to other threads on the general philosophy that governs your book selections, as I'm sure that has been discussed before.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

James and the Giant Peach was the first chapt. book that my dd sat through also. They LOVED it, and so did I. We've only read Charlie and the Choc Factory since then, on audio book....and James-Peach AGAIN on audio....they are REALLY good audio versions...much better than I read. I wouldn't classify them as twaddle. There is good sentence structure and great vocab!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2008 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

SuzanneG wrote:
There is good sentence structure and great vocab!

I agree! My kids would be hard pressed to learn *snozzberry* in a textbook! That's for sure!

Betsie

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I'm pretty selective in what we read. So we read some of his books and some we don't.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

I agree with Erin. Some are not really appropriate.
But we love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG!
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2008 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

As a kid, I LOVED Roald Dahl. But I'm not familiar with a lot of his writings past 1980. So I'm curious too Betsie.

Erin and CK (and anyone else) out of this list of Dahl's children's stories at Wiki -- to which would you not give the nod? And would you mind saying why they would NOT be on your list to read? (ie. you think this book is twaddle or you think this book has a bad moral, or you think one of the characters is unsavory for a child of this reading level to read....)

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Sorry, I meant to write back to this earlier!

Gremlins, Charlie & Great Glass Elevator, Enormous Crocodile,George's Marvellous Medicine, Esio Trot --never read

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory--no problems
BFG--Only problem for some is "whiz-popping"
Giraffe, Pelly & Me--no problem
James and the Giant Peach-- the early part with the wicked aunts was too much, I edited when reading aloud, but otherwise fun

The Twits--Revenge--getting just desserts can be problematic, if you view this as a modern "fairy-tale" then maybe its okay?

Magic Finger -- very surreal, revenge elements (People are turned into birds!)

Fantastic Mr. Fox -- Fox steals from the evil farmers, and this as portrayed as good

Danny, The Champion of the World-- Poaching glorified

Matilda--honestly I did not finish--Rebellion against authority

The Witches-- I'd avoid witches anyway, turning into a mouse & staying that way a problem

Maybe somebody else can fill in for the rest.
hth
ck

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 24 2008 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

A great way to get to know Dahl and get to understand his eccentricities is to read his autobiography, Boy. It explains a lot. It does include the reason for his dislike of organized religion (the future Archbishop of Canterbury was sadistically abusive to boys at his boarding school), but most of it is just good fun, though a bit gruesome in parts. Definitely pre-read before giving it to kids.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Why do I always end up sounding like a Puritan? Maybe I am one....!?
I just want to add that I love Roald Dahl, despite some issues. His writing is sparkling and witty.
Boy is fun, and so is Going Solo, at least for older readers. He tells about his experiences in the air force. It would make a great addition to WWII unit study.

ck

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

CKwasniewski wrote:
Matilda--honestly I did not finish--Rebellion against authority

I actually really liked Matilda for just this reason. The "authority" in this book was evil and sadistic and I think that it was a good example of standing up for yourself. We want our kids to recognize "bad" authority and stand up against it. Matilda was not at all opposed to authority that was positive and healthy. I don't necessarily agree with how she handled it, but I think one of the most endearing qualities of Dahl's work is his love of the over the top!

Thanks for all the opinions. I always love to hear other people's points of view because I have often come across things that I might have otherwise overlooked!

Blessings,
Betsie

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2008 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I look at it this way, there is so much to read out there and my children are all big readers one is voracious.   Therefore I am selective in what they read, I expose them to what is good and pure and wholesome and of a high literary standard, particularly in their formative years. As my oldest is growing older I am broadening the net and using books as a tool to expose her to the secular worldview. Being selective here too but frankly I can't keep up and so she has read some things before I had explained it to her but that's okay too.

So whilst I admit Roald Dahl is well written, it is not on my A list. Hey my poor kids had to talk me into Hardy Boys, it is definitely twaddle. Simply put I limit twaddle. I guess I am a bit of a prude and all that talk of picking noses and flatulence sounds (Fantastic Mr Fox) irritates and I have three boys who would immerse themselves in Dahl and repeat lines.

I was recently given a whole lot of Dahl from a friend who was clearing out and I really considered re-visiting my stance but then one particular son who thinks all that stuff is great read a bit and went around talking about 'whizz bangers' and giggling uproariously and that was it for me, so irritating. (I told you I was a bit of a prude, blame my mum) So I sent them to the op-shop and I'm still not convinced I was right, maybe I should have kept them. Anyhow you now have the long version, off my soapbox.

Oh we have Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, BFG and Fantastic Mr Fox. There may well be others that pass my radar but I just haven't read them.

Hitting send before I change my mind in sharing so openly. BTW please this is MY opinion and in no way a judgement on anyone else's choice and who knows I may one day change my position.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Truly - nothing you or anyone said was offensive!! It's nice to hear different perspectives. I read Fantastic Mr. Fox as a girl and loved the book... but I wasn't even remotely tempted to quote lines, but after Betsie asked about these books, I was thinking: Hmmm... my oldest won't have a problem with this book, but...

I do have one son in particular who is kind of... well... earthy. And I just think that book *might* tempt him beyond his means of self-control. He doesn't need any extra ideas; he's got enough that he comes up with them all on his own.     I won't tell you what he did out with some of these ladies as we were looking at bluebells...

Plus it helps to know which books I might pick to pre-read for them and which ones aren't worth my time!!

Thanks!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2008 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Thank you for this thread. I have some Dahl but I never read him as a child and I have heard comments from various friends but beyond James and the Peach I did not realize that he was the author of these other books....so he was the author of Gremilins-as in the movie from the 80's.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version