Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Getting to know a pizzelle iron Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I'm on a spring cleaning tear and in digging out the cabinet above my refrigerator I rediscovered a gift my daughter's godmother gave me: pizzelle iron. Seeing it reminded me of the tin of pizzelles that could always be found in her kitchen, and chatting and laughing in her kitchen, while I was pregnant with my daughter. My friend lives in Florida now, and we moved here, and I miss her.   

So in honor of Lisa I would like to make a batch of pizzelles and adopt the tin-full-of-pizzelles tradition. Can anyone offer a good recipe?

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 12 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is funny Patty - we have one also that my mother handed down and I have never made (though we did a few times as kids). I think my chidlren would really enjoy this. I'll have to see if there is a recipe in the box with the iron.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I looked at allrecipes.com too. I tried to make pizzelles once before, and now that I've looked at allrecipes I understand one of my major mistakes...I put WAY too much batter on the iron. WAY. The recipes I see say 1 tablespoon of batter per batch. No WONDER my first pizzelle attempt was such a disaster.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2008 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Patty

Here is a recipe from my husband's Italian grandmother. There is a big crowd of Italian relatives in Youngstown OH so be forewarned this recipe makes 12 dozen -- you may want to cut it down unless you have a jumbo tin:)

12 eggs
2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
8 cups flour
8 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon anise oil

Mix eggs, oil, anise, and sugar. Mix dry ingredients and slowly add to egg mixture. Drop by Tablespoon on hot iron.

His family always puts a filling between two cookies as well as just leaving them unadorned. The filling sounds odd but it is really yummy.I have often wondered if the jelly is used in place of what would traditionally be figs (anad harder to find in the winter months back then).

14 oz ground walnuts
14 oz graham cracker crumbs
1 lb jar grape jelly
1 can Hershey's chocolate syrup

-Mix together and spread on cooled cookies.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Beautiful! any recipe used by an Italian grandmother has to be good.    Thanks so much!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We make them at Christmas time and again for St Josephs feast day. The above recipe looks good to me. Just make sure your iron is well seasoned, and experiment with different recipes. We love chocolate pizzelles!!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version