Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Overwhelmed by CGS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

marianne wrote:
However, the parable lessons take SO MUCH preparation, that I just can't get my act together for those. I think I will have to spend some time this summer working on that.

I agree! In addition to making the materials, then I need to read through the lesson and the Bible and then work on my presentation.

I think for the narrative things I know them so well that I don't have to work so hard on the presentation... it flows very naturally right from me! The Mass presentations too were easy to do because I know the Mass well.

But the parables and geography... not so much. So it takes so much time for me to meditate on it, for me to know the presentation, so I can present it naturally without being too scripted!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky J wrote:

That said, here are the presentations I'm mainly done preparing for:

Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany
Geography
Mustard Seed
Pearl of Great Price
Good Shepherd

You've gotten A LOT done Becky!!! I might consider re-presenting a few of those for next year and only adding a couple more to your cache, or perhaps purchase for your Mass presentations.

Becky J wrote:
I figure there are some presentations for which the materials can only be assembled at the last minute because they have an "expiration" date (e.g., yeast for The Leaven presentation and wheat seeds for The Grain of Wheat).

The wheat seeds can be kept indefinitely, just FYI. You can pick up a few at your local health foods store.

Becky J wrote:
I could use suggestions for the presentation on The Tabernacle. What did you use as a Tabernacle? Where did you get reasonably-priced candelabras?

I actually bought my Tabernacle from Our Father's House when they were still selling them. It has a little ding on the back so it was on clearance. You might check the knick-knack section of Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I've seen some nice looking brass boxes that might work. There's always the thrift store. Some here have gotten really creative with the Tabernacle. I hope they'll jump in. I found a candelabra at a thrift store once, but I didn't get it. I just keep checking. Until then, we do like Maryan.

Becky J wrote:
For a lot of the presentations, it's not so much that I don't know what to use or how to put things together, just that there seem to be so many steps to take and so much to do. Again, I guess it's a matter of being patient and not expecting to have everything ready for the upcoming CGS year.

I make all of my materials in the summer, that way I have more time to work with them during the school year. If I want to make more and present more and I have time, I might. I'll choose 4-6 presentations to work on this summer, make a list and shop all at once and then make all the materials at once. If you haven't seen Maryan's awesome wooden boxes that she uses to store each presentation in, there's a great shot of one at the end of this post. Hope that it was ok to link to you Maryan!

Becky J wrote:
Does anyone use battery-operated candles as opposed to real ones? With two small children, I am afraid of having an open flame. What style candle is the one that is typically lit for each presentation?

Nope. I use the real thing. We keep the matches up high though.

Becky J wrote:
Has anyone found a good source of cloths in liturgical colors? I have been wanting these not only for the CGS presentations but also for our home altar. I can't sew, so I wonder if anyone has found anything "ready-made" along these lines.

Becky, I made mine. I bought all the liturgical fabric colors from Hancocks. They're not difficult to make believe me. Straight hems! But, if you really didn't want to sew, you could still buy the fabric and then buy some of that iron-on, no-sew hem tape. Couldn't be easier. I've made the chasuble so far for the kids, but I'm going to be working on the rest of the vestments over the summer. Don't know how I'm going to make a biretta? Anyone? Felt, I'm guessing?

Good luck Becky! I can't wait to compare notes with you and pick your brains over some of these presentations.

Just wanted to say that it took me forever to finally post this (nursing baby - several poopy diapers later.) I hope I'm not too redundant at this point! If so, just ignore me.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

happymama wrote:
I, also, am a "perfectionist" melancholic - and being that way, I hesitate to start things until I feel like I have a really good understanding of why and how... This chat group is a great place to brainstorm ideas for getting or making some of the more unique materials, but I just want to encourage everyone to not get "overwhelmed" by it.

Maybe because of all the "background" research I've done on both CGS and Montessori, I tend to have strong opinions about both!

That being said, I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, I don't want to sound negative about it, but with both CGS & Montessori, I've noticed (especially on Yahoo groups!) a huge emphasis on having "materials" but very little concern about how, when, or why to present things. This is the reason that many trained Montessori educators AND CGS-trained catechists do NOT believe these types of presentations should be done in the home without training.

Obviously I disagree with that conclusion, and have been immeasurably blessed through both Montessori and CGS use in my own home! But it's a point that seems worth repeating - this type of education is not like a program you order from a company, shrink-wrapped and ready to present, and the children are just going to instantly become holy because of it. Timing is critical. Materials are supposed to be natural, simple, and essential. The catechist is supposed to have spent a LOT of time reflecting on the core meaning of each presentation prior to presenting. The materials are the means, not the end - the end is time spent in the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I think reading a few of the CGS books before you get started, and taking your time reflecting on each presentation will get you off to a great start. It isn't rocket science - but it is a very unique approach that most of us have never experienced before. I guess what I'm trying to say is that CGS shouldn't be seen as a "burden" or one more thing to check off of a to-do list, but something that brings you real joy as you patiently work through the seasons and years!

Oh, I loved this! I agree with you 100%! I just had to quote you completely! I have lots more to say, but it will have to wait, because I'm out the door!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I finally read through this post....after I made my own post asking about where to get materials cheaply!!!

My daughter is very crafty and hands on. I want to bring materials into the home. I think CGS is a wonderful way, but I'm not planning on doing all of it. I, too, feel overwhelmed!

I don't want to swing this post to my own concern, so if it needs to be moved...please do! What would be the "basic" items to have. I was thinking the Mass Kit. Any other suggestion or ideas? Thank you!

BTW...I love the pregnant Mary that Maryan did!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version