Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Galveston's Summer of the Storm Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We read this book while we were hanging out in the basement during Isabel a couple of years ago. I just pulled it out again at patrick's request.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'll have to add that to my library eventually when ds grows older. I was born and lived in Houston for 11 years...and our beach trips were always Galveston, just for the day, weekend, etc. Lots of good memories there.

Now is this the same storm that took thousands of lives in Corpus Christi? Or was that another one? Is there a living book on that story?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

This one is the Storm of September 8, 1900.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was confused. My parents talked about a hurricane in Corpus Christi. I think it was Celia, in 1970. Just lots of damage, not thousands of lives.

NOAA weather site has some good reading on Texas Hurricane History to do a comparison.

Here's Louisiana Hurricanes, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Not a hurricane, but a flood related book is The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. I bought the audio DVD for our trips back and forth to Altoona (nearby Johnstown) and dh and I have really enjoyed it. It's gripping and quite a living book. It's probably suitable for 11 on up for read-aloud.

I brought this up because my mother-in-law talks about going over with her husband to view the devastation after Hurricane Agnes in 1972 in Johnstown (an hour away). Although not impacted by the winds, the city was greatly affected by the flooding. The stench of the mildew and other stuff in the city has made it a very vivid memory for her.

Because of the flood in New Orleans and it being below sea level and discussion of rebuilding, we have been bringing up other geographical places that experience natural disasters and yet rebuild. Johnstown is not a very good place to build a city, in the valley with several rivers converging. What about the dykes in the Netherlands?...If not for the dykes, most everything would be under sea water!

Any book, picture or otherwise of the boy that plugs the hole in the dyke?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

An older (teens and adults) great read is Isaac's Storm about the Galveston Hurricane....lots of great living history in this book!

Enjoy!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:
An older (teens and adults) great read is Isaac's Storm about the Galveston Hurricane...

I love storm books. Isaac's Storm is a fantastic book. Not only is it a riveting account of the night of the hurricane and all the horrors of those who experienced it, it is an excellent history of the U.S. Weather service. Be careful about the sensitivity of your teens.   There are things like men hearing the screams of women and children through the wind and stuff . Also, there was a lot of hanky panky going on on the part of some of the Signal Corps (weather) appointees going on on the job. Some of that history is in the book as well.

Another storm book that details the Weather service history isThe Children's Blizzard. The book got its name from the fact that the children were all in school when the blizzard hit. I think L.I. Wilder may have still been on the SD prairie during that blizzard.

What happened in Galveston was that the storm surge picked up the buildings on the coast and slammed them into the buildings on the next block and so on and so on.     Great book Mary!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2005 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the book tips! I can't wait to check them out. Thank God Galveston was spared from Rita!

I had put the info about the other cities earlier in this thread. Just a bit of current news trivia. I correspond with a Dutchman I met on the World Youth Day in Poland in 1993. He just wrote to me that
A part of our country is, indeed, living below sea-level (we not). Our country is protected by a extensive system of dikes and dams (The Delta Works). We are improving our system after the catastrophe in New Orleans.
I found that interesting that the effects of our natural disaster is long-reaching...even the preventative measures.

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

I just wanted to interject here that Julie Lake's daughters used to study piano with my husband. I believe her book about Galveston's Summer of the Storm came out sometime after they had quit studying. Nonetheless, we have an autographed copy of the book and I just recently (in the last year) ran into her at the local grocery store. My son just finished reading her book...

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Any book, picture or otherwise of the boy that plugs the hole in the dyke?

The reference to that boy comes in the book Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates. Interestingly as I was looking for other info on dykes and the Netherlands because of the recommendation given for the the Katje book, I found this site which talks about the "legend" of the boy with his finger in the dyke - totally invented by the American author of Hans Brinker book. It is not a part of folklore of the Netherlands. The tourism industry in the Netherlands did build a statue of "the boy" in the 1950's to satisfy the mostly American tourists who would come and ask to see the dyke that the boy had plugged. Very interesting - I had no idea as I had always assumed some truth to the story. Silly Americans that we are.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version