Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: maternity clothes (again,) esp. plus size Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I have seen threads here about this before, and combed through the links, but price, style and size are not coming together for me. I am finding much of the stuff at Motherhood very unappealing, and the maternity sections at other brick and mortar stores generally just quite small. In part it's a matter of many necklines too low or hemlines too high and designs I seriously dislike, but the selection is not helped by the fact that it's not really worth trying on anything but size 2X these days And our budget is quite limited, but if I had even two good outfits, I could probably make it through the next four months just fine, so maybe up to $100 per skirt/top set or dress, if it's attractive, comfortable, and durable. Though less expensive is preferable. Any store suggestions I might not have seen? I am down to pretty much one short-sleeved non-maternity shirt that fits and is otherwise wearable, and two non-maternity skirts which are fitting less comfortably, at 20 1/2 weeks.

If only J. Jill had maternity clothes.

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Theresa--when are you due? I just consigned a bunch of my maternity things, and then discovered a whole other stash that I couldn't find the first time.... I would be *happy* to send them to you!

If you'd like to PM me and let me know what sizes/styles you like, I'd be thrilled to pass along the things I found that worked for me this last pregnancy.

I just cannot accept the fact that "maternity" and "spandex" have ANY business being on the same garment tag--and it seems that anytime I picked up "maternity" clothes, it was just the junior section with a slightly wider middle. I guess I'm the only pregnant lady who gains weight EVERYwhere....and then once the baby's born, it slingshots to the backside where it remains until sometime mid-toddlerhood. Sigh.

So I searched far and wide for decent, modest but stylish (and larger) maternity things this last pregnancy--I was determined to be "non frump." :) That will give you some idea of my "style." (My kids would die laughing at the idea that Mom had ANY style. lol)

Congratulations on the new baby! Just let me know if I can be of any help! :)

Editing to add this link: http://www.womanwithin.com/Plus-Size-Maternity.aspx?DeptId=9 300   

I found quite a few nice, stylish, but very inexpensive things at this site this last pregnancy. HTH.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Don't limit yourself to "maternity"

Some of my favorite "maternity" clothes aren't maternity at all. I just got some things from womanwithin but in their regular clothing line.. babydoll/empirewais and/or trapeze style tops.. stretchy topped pants.. elastic waist skirts.. now when I'm pregnant those will slip up to my ribs but you get a long skirt and it works.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

And you might check out this lady..

http://www.finitesite.com/vesselsofmercy/newdressshop.html

She takes limited orders but her prices are good.. I have 2 jumpers and a dress from her.. she'll raise the waistline of the dresses to account for maternity.. and they're very nice.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

wahoo92
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote wahoo92

A friend led me to JC Penney online. I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of styles from the more trendy to fairly conservative, most things sized from small to 3X, some even in petite sizes. The prices are quite inexpensive for the most part. I especially like their short sleeve t-shirts-the fabric quality seems to be a little better than others I have tried and they are not so tight through the top.

That said, it is not perfect. Colors are limited. Dresses and skirts are still knee length or above and don't look very roomy (I only ordered tops and pants). While the quality is better than what I have seen at Motherhood and the big box stores, it still isn't great. And, hardest of all for me, I have had to let go of my usual criteria for purchases regarding where the items are made, fabric etc. I have been desperate for clothing and have tried every store and online option that I knew of! (Mistakingly gave everything away after the last babe, thinking that was our last.) Interestingly, JCP never came up in my search for maternity clothes.

Good luck!
Sarah
mom of three girls, 9, 6, and 3, and a fourth due in July!
Back to Top View wahoo92's Profile Search for other posts by wahoo92

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Thanks ladies, very promising-sounding suggestions. I recently arrived home from FIL's burial on 4 1/2 hours of sleep so I will PM (thank you for the offer Sarah) and click links later on.

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

wahoo92 wrote:

And, hardest of all for me, I have had to let go of my usual criteria for purchases regarding where the items are made, fabric etc.

Yeah, I even tried on something made in China on my first trip to Motherhood this pregnancy. Clothes, except for shoes and other less frequent purchases, are one of the easiest things not to even consider buying MIC because there are so many that aren't. But I would have bought that modest, discounted, nice-enough-looking item if it had fit!

I forgot that a consignment shop (http://www.smallchangeconsignments.com for those in NoVA) we frequent for kids' clothes has maternity though. And a good selection, though my less common size made it smaller for me. I managed to buy a couple of things but not enough of the right kind of to get through the rest of pregnancy.

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

JodieLyn wrote:
Don't limit yourself to "maternity"

Some of my favorite "maternity" clothes aren't maternity at all. I just got some things from womanwithin but in their regular clothing line.. babydoll/empirewais and/or trapeze style tops.. stretchy topped pants.. elastic waist skirts.. now when I'm pregnant those will slip up to my ribs but you get a long skirt and it works.

I've been wearing my pre-pregnancy clothes longer this time around, because I bought them after I'd learned to face what my size is and that I look better and more modest if I err on the side of the larger number. I've just reached the point where I can't sit in the booths at our favorite pizza place, but the skirts I was wearing before pregnancy still fit reasonably -- but as you said, they've gone from being worn around ankle length to a bit shorter than that!

I am afraid though that I'll buy a 3X that's just too big overall, or doesn't have the proper shape to accommodate baby when we get bigger and then won't even at least fit me after pregnancy. I'm just low on clothes all around so I really needed new shirt(s.) Found these at the Woman Within site Sarah in SC linked.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Theresa, I found some decent skirts at http://www.modestapparelusa.com/mainpage-maternity.html

They were reasonably priced and held up well (since I had to wear them every day this last pregnancy...lol)...They aren't trendy skirts, but with a good top, you may be able to make it thru with a minimum amount of frumpishness. I was on bedrest for 2 mos, though, before delivering the boys, so I didn't need going out and about clothes...lol.

Rachel (who now has no excuse, but still sticks to denim and khaki twill skirts...lol)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version