Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Peter Paul Rubens for April Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Well, what is left of April. Sorry this is appearing so late!

I think what Mary and Rebecca are hoping is that the Artist of the Month will become a collaborative effort, and that once an artist is announced many contributors will come forth with information and ideas. Sounds like a great idea to me!

We came upon a few of Peter Paul Rubens' engravings at an outstanding exhibit during Lent called Durer to Rembrandt. This link goes to the Rubens portion but I would recommend you check out the whole Online Exhibit sometime.

A short biography tells us that Peter Paul was a Flemish painter born in 1577 and that he died in 1640. This means that he lived during the turbulent times of the Reformation.

I think it is very ironic that while his work supported the Counter-Reformation and the doctrines of the Church (I will post some paintings later, including one of the Blessed Virgin Mary), he was actually born in Cologne instead of Antwerp, his family home, because his father became protestant and had to flee the area (Antwerp was part of the Spanish Netherlands, which comprises a part of the Flemish region). Meanwhile, Rubens' mother quietly practiced her Catholic faith during this period ,
and returned to Antwerp and back into the Catholic Church after the death of the elder Rubens, I think when Peter Paul was about 10.

There are not many juvenile resources for Peter Paul Rubens. This First Impressions series book is on a middle school level and has a protestant bias. This Art Accessentry of the Holy Family with St. Elizabeth and John the Baptist has a good short explanation of some of the symbolism used by Rubens that was common in art of the Middle Ages. Explain that we no longer have a shared language of symbolism within our culture today as Christians did in past times.

Much of Rubens' art was of the Baroque style. Here's the definition from the glossary that is linked in the Art Access page:
style of art and architecture prevalent in Europe in the 17th and early 18th centuries, characterized by extravagant theatrical forms and including dramatic manipulations of space, vivid illusions, opulent color, movement, and strong contrasts of light and dark

Many of his paintings are in Antwerp. The book Dog of Flanders is set in Antwerp and is about a boy and an abused dog that he takes in. The boy is an artist and most of his life he only wants to see Rubens' painting in the Cathedral but lacks the money to pay the entrance fee. Maybe someone can offer a better review. I haven't read the book but saw the movie a long time ago and it is pretty sad in parts. Certain children would probably be bothered by parts.

Go ahead with your additions. Etching and woodcut activities would be great! Rubens used this medium to his advantage and it is a great period of art to learn about as it was the prints that first made great art available to the general public. I'll be back later today with a few pieces to look at here.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Coronation of Marie de Medicis, ca. 1622-1625

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Assumption of the Virgin Mary completed in 1626 as an altarpiece for the high altar of the Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Elevation of the Cross, 1610-1611

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We had the opportunity to view this same exhibit Gwen talked about. It was amazing - they say it was like being in the print room at the Louvre. Except we culd get up close within inches of the prints. They even provided magnifying glasses to really see closely the details.

There are a couple DK books which have nice section on Rubens and include an indepth analysis of one of his paintings. I really have found these to be great resources for looking at a specific painting - techniques, symbolism, etc.

Great Artists (DK Annotated Guides) - Peace and War

Annotated Art (DK) - Samson and Delilah

The Mary Ann Kohl book, Discovering Great Artists has a project for Rubnes - Chalk Light Face on page 27. The student is encouraged to draw a face on brown paper using pastel chalks (black, red-brown, white).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

>>Explain that we no longer have a shared language of symbolism within our culture today as Christians did in past times.<<

How very true, and how sad.

Gwen, the www.artic.edu link doesn't work for me.... http://www.artic.edu/artaccess/AA_RenBar/pages/REN_9.shtml

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I just tried the link and it worked: http://www.artic.edu/artaccess/AA_RenBar/pages/REN_9.shtml

I searched for Chicago Art Institute Rubens and it came up first on Google. Maybe that link will work better for you.

By the way, congratulations on your beautiful new boy!!

We found a pretty good DVD at the library titled Learn Art Styles with Lisa: Romanesque to post-impressionism that was pretty decent and easy enough for elementary ages.

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Aw, it is my computer I think, I couldn't get it to work from Google either... Oh well, I will try again later.

Excited to see what the children will produce from Rubens! We were just looking at the "Triumph of the Church", and talking about all of the wonderful symbols... Triumph

Thanks for the congratulations! William Wesley is gaining weight very quickly, he has very fat cheeks already!

And thank you for the Rubens study!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

Hi, we lived in Antwerp for several years and I had many opportunities to view "The Descent of the Cross" (INCREDIBLE!) at the Cathedral, as well as Rubens' home.

The thing that impressed me MOST about Rubens though wERE some of his "plain" portraits, just regular portraits he did probably for wealthy people. His skin tones, and his hands, looked so life-like, it was as if the people could walk right out of the painting and talk to you!! In his more "dramatic" paintings what you notice is more the rippling muscles and the drama of the scene, but these portraits made me really appreciate what an incredible artist he was. I am not sure about titles or where you can find these, but I just thought I would share about it!

I also liked a painting that was a collaboration between Rubens and Bruegel, another Flemish artist. It was about the garden of Eden, with all these beautiful birds, I think Rubens did the people and Bruegel the landscape. It was at the museum in Den Haag called Mauritzhuis (don't know if I spelled that right). Can't look up refs my toddler is starting a fit gotta go!!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I went to Rubens homein Antwerp as well when I was in Belgium for a summer study during college. The day I spent there was one of my favorites of nine weeks in Europe...right up there with the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, and the Dutch Master's museum in Amsterdam. Oh what a glorious time it was!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version