Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do you have paid work? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 28 2008 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I am a freelance writer. It can be stressful, but not as much as my last at-home business, daycare, was. I was very happy running my daycare business but the hours were long and I had occasional issues with parents. Now I am only responsible for myself. The bad part is sacrificing family time to meet deadlines, but I've finally worked things out so I have two steady writing jobs - both for websites - and deadlines I can predict. I don't have to spend time writing query letters and researching writing gigs, which saves me tons of time.

And...my ds loves taking photos of airplanes (I use them, as I write about travel), so he now has quite a few photo credits to his name, which I hope will make his college applications stand out a bit!

I've tried the job thing every possible way (at home, outside the home, full time, part time, you name it!). It's something each family must assess at least once a year, I think - what worked for me long ago would be totally unacceptable now, as our children get older and need supervision, loving guidance, more transportation, etc.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Cay Gibson wrote:
cactus mouse wrote:
Mystery Shopping,

Never heard of that...
Interesting. Do tell.

I work for a company called TrendSource. Basically I do customer service evaluations. I can take whichever shops I want, and this company luckily has many grocery shops. Krogers/Frys usually. I get paid a set amount (just a few dollars, not a lot, really - but it can add up) plus I get reimbused up to a certain amount. So if I do a few a month (I am going to buy groceries anyway, right?) it works out pretty well. If I had to drive a long way to do it, it wouldn't be worth it probably, but within 5 mile radius of my house, I have about 20 grocery stores.

Also - there are sometimes fun shops like a bagel shop, etc. We don't usually have the extra money for bagels, or restuarant lunches, but this is a fun way to do it, as meals are reimbursed, plus you get a set fee too - so it will pay for itself.

Oh! And for awhile there was a ton of Blockbuster shops. Free movies (they reimbused the rental) plus I would get paid $8-10 extra for answering a few questions about the employees.

My kids LOVE to do mystery shops with me. They think we are like spys, I think.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2008 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I used to do alterations out of my home. Clients came to me, and I sewed when the twins napped. Now, with 4, it is too hard to carve out time to sew and meet a deadline so I only sew for friends or take a job when we really need the $. Recently, I altered a jacket for an instructor we use and was paid in sporting equipment. While I never would have charged as much as the equipment was worth, it was a great help to us to recieve it that way. I like to barter more than I like to charge cash--it works for us. Maybe when the kids are older, I will take in more work. It is usually pretty good money and I enjoy the work (most times!).

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2008 at 1:05am | IP Logged Quote Chari

I have always worked in some capacity with the exception of the first two kids' first year of life. I work as an RN....from part-time to now supplemental for the last nine years.

My schedule was five days out of 14 days and now is 0-4 days a month, usually 0-1.........I also have two programs I do at the hospital in which case I work a few half days a month.

I only work because my husband wants me to...I do not want to work there....he does not want me to lose my senority there (16+ years now).....in case something ever happens to him and I need to work. Of course, my plan is to NOT work if anything happens to him.......praying it is a very long while before I have to deal with that.

It really adds to the income..........usually God provides a shift just before or after a big out of the ordinary bill needs to pay........like my teeth or property taxes.

My skills are so melting away ............working these days can be a major stress for me........but, I try to see it as God wanting ME there to care for whoever He gives to me.      Plus, almost every shift I work, causes me to be ill the next day.......it is so weird.........and has been going on for over a decade.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I tend bar, no wait, I'm sorry! I'm a mixologist.

I never dreamed I'd ever do something like this but the bar manager kept plucking dd off the beach and sending her down to the boat begging me to come to work. So I did! MWR employment rocks, I'm the best paid bartender in the Keys plus I get tips. I only work nights/weekends so that ups the pay scale too.

The Navigator is right on the prettiest beach in the Keys, I rent kayaks, lounge chairs, watch dolphins and rays play...

I do not have to deal with tourists, only military retirees and active duty pilots who are trapped 8 miles from town. It is like Cheers goes Tropical.
I know nearly everyone who comes in and exactly what they'll be drinking. People are definitely creatures of habit.

We don't need the money, it is totally for play only.

ETA: For instance, we picked up a super Flats Boat yesterday that'll be a hoot to play around with!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I worked from home until May of last year. My former employer let me work from home (CPA work)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Like Sally, I'm not sure that what I do could count as a second income, really. It's not very steady work, but I cantor funerals if the regular music director is unavailable AND dh can take his lunch hour early that day. That's around $75-100 each time. Of course, that's super unpredictable. I've had around 4 a month once and then 4 months without them needing me. I do weddings, too, but rarely. It is hard to put the effort into getting my name out in the area as a SAHM, but I would probably work to have more church music work if I needed it since I have a few good contacts and it is a pretty flexible thing.

Plus, there is another church here that pays cantors for all their masses, but it is only $30 a mass. However, I figure it is a good sacrifice spiritually attending mass one more time than I normally would (I only do Saturday vigils there so we go to a TLM on Sunday mornings as a family). I earned about $90 in Jan-Feb before I got the flu and ear infections. I've only been able to sing for a week or so with my ear troubles.

When I only had one, I taught the children's choir at the local parish school 2-3 days a week and prepared them for First Friday and HDOs, and that really was a second income. I couldn't do it, though, toting two with me. Especially with no. 1 being two at the time, and the pay wasn't enough to justify a sitter. I also did some freelance work for my old job that first year, but it was HARD to fit it in. That really was useful at the time, but fortunately, dh's salary has increased and he also gets a good bit of side work as a handyman/custom carpenter as his hobby.

I considered private instruction, but that is a huge commitment in my mind. Not only do I have to sacrifice the time away from my home and family, but my home would have to be company ready in spite of less time to keep it so! If something ever happened to dh, I would probably do that so I could stay at home, though.

ETA: My work now basically justifies getting pizza on occasion, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 30 2008 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I was a parish Youth Minister/DRE when my oldest dd was born. I worked out a deal with my pastor to work part-time from home. I spent about 12 hours per week working, and much of that was planning done at home. I spent only one evening per week at the church, plus a few other meetings spread out over the course of a month. I took my children (and dh!) along to overnight retreats and the social stuff I planned, like ski trips or days at amusements parks. My parents watched dd for a few hours each week when I had to be at church and dh was not yet home from work. Honestly, I wished I didn't have to keep working - and I know that I made a much more significant impact in the lives of the teens in my group back when I was single and could give the ministy my full attention - but we really needed the money at that point in dh's career. I "retired" when I was expecting my 3rd dd.

Since then, we have been a one income family. Until the past few months, that is. The opportunity to tutor a local public school student in algebra fell into my lap, and I've been tutoring her for an hour one afternoon each week in my home. It's really good money for very little time since I don't need any prep time to teach algebra. (Higher level math might be another matter.) My baby is usually napping while my student is here, and my other children take care of one another. The extra money has been an unexpected boon.

Mary Chris wrote:
In a few years dd wants to get a job at the Target that will be built near our community.

Mary Chris, of course, you KNOW that is my oldest dd's dream job too. Maybe they can get on the same schedule and "commute" together!

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

For about 2 years, I was an active Pampered Chef consultant. I still dabble in it, but have slowed down since becoming pregnant. I also work part-time at an orthodontist office (LOVE how wonderful my boss is! He and the office manager attend our parish) to keep my skills up. I have worked there on and off for about 10+ years. It is usually when my DH is off, which is about once every 2 weeks.

Right now, I wouldn't call my jobs necessary, and we don't rely on the income, it has been so nice to have those little paychecks come. It has been mentioned before, they come at just the right time.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

No other income here. Money is tight, but our family motto is "Dominus providebit" (the Lord will provide) and somehow He always does.

I substitute taught (bringing my baby with me) and tutored for homeschooling families (bringing both of my children with me) until halfway through my third pregnancy. At which time, my husband and I made some conscious decisions to change our lifestyle so that I could stay home full-time. One decision was moving to our current house in another city because housing prices and property taxes were lower. Although the lender used both of our incomes to determine our loan amount, we recalculated the figures and took out a loan that relied only on my husband's income.

At times, I have been tempted to accept web design offers, but my husband and children have held me in check, keeping my priorities in the right place. I have designed and do maintain a few non-profit type websites, but accepting pay for websites would take away my ability to work on a website as my life and time allowed.

May God bless you and your husband as you try to discern in what direction God is calling you.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

No extra income here either. I am an RN, but I haven't worked in 9 years, and even then it was so sporadic it didn't make much difference. Every so often, things get tight enough to make me wonder if I should try to find something, but as Christine said, the Lord really does provide. I am often amazed that we manage to stay afloat! But just when we hit a financial brick wall, something comes through to help us out, whether it is a pay raise, new job, per diem for travel, etc.

With eight kids, 3 months to 16, I just don't see how it would be possible to get out of the house to do anything. Gee, I hardly leave the house for fun. I would love to do some sort of writing but I am just not organized enough.

We have made our share of financial blunders and had some pretty lousy luck that was not of our doing. But, so far, it has been clear that I need to be here doing what I am doing.

And I am not going to preach the value of frugalness here, except to say that so many things that seem like necessities to the rest of the world (cable tv, summer camp, new clothes) are not even a consideration for us. This is not to say that those who need to supplement their income are lacking in faith or frugalness. We all have different circumstances. I just wanted to point out that what the world says is impossible is not often true.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I just started working from home for my pre-kids employer. 10-20 hours a week, with the same (actually a little better) hourly rate as when I quit. We shouldn't need the money as we have low expenses and a good salary from my husband, but we are not particularly frugal people and the extra income will give us breathing room for my husband's peace of mind (and relieve some of the guilt I feel when I decide to treat myself).

I'm just happy to be able to take some of the weight off his shoulders. And I love the work! It gives me a feeling of accomplishment. However, we need to talk to our financial guy as I may have pushed us into the next tax bracket, possibly negating any benefit to my very modest income. Something to think about for anyone who plans to work for income ...
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I work at a CGS Atrium -- $11/hr and no more than 6 hrs a week, sometimes just 3, so not much income. But they pay for my babysitter so I can leave the kids home and even 35 bucks a week is nice!

I LOVE IT. Come the start of next school year I hope to start again. I quit at Xmas for my baby, but in Sept she will be 9 mos. and I could leave her for 2.5 or 3 hrs I think. Plus, my toddler will maybe start going to the 3-6 class mid-year.

Anyways, I'm reading this with interest.

Oh, btw I tried my first ebay listing to see if I'd like to do that a bit on the side and so far no bids Anyone want a beautiful long skirt??

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I've had discussions on and off over the years with conservative, Catholic homeschool moms and the topic of the Proverbs 31 Woman has come up. That she could indeed be thought of as a "working woman" so to speak. (although I think it could be argued that obviously we all work an awful darn lot inside of our homes 24/7!)
Also, that even a century or two ago, it was much more often a FAMILY business or FAMILY farm, and the wife was indeed working sometimes side by side with the dh/older kids.
I often think of that when I hear about a wife that "keeps the books" for the family farm, or trucking company, etc.
This job I have now is really working out well. It is 90% by phone, and I've already dealt with an abandoned U haul in the parking lot, ants in a staff refrigerator, changing the furnace filters, etc. But the great thing is I have the option of fixing the problem myself, and billing the owners, OR outsourcing to the approrpiate "professionals" and just getting paid the flat management fee per month. So far I've jsut outsourced everything, even though I know I could run out there or dh could and replace a flourescent bulb or two, or fix the jiggly toilet handle.
I'll have to check back here in 6 months or so and see if I'm still with it after the sprng landscaping/summer mowing time is over (which I'm "outsourcing" to my two oldest kids!)
I like to think of any little job I pick up here or there as being a helpmeet to my dh.
We do trust God to provide and we have never behaved in a way that we "need" me to work.
I DO agree that most peoples "needs" as Molly mentioned (cable, summer camp, new clothes, vacations, eating out, etc) could be looked at as more frivolous "wants" or extras that my family and many of you might never have, and we are all for the most part not dying for lack of them

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I transcribe medical reports for three clients. I try to type in the early morning and late afternoons. I also sell on eBay and do some wedding planning.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

Why do I always get in on these interesting topics when they're just about done..... but I'll indulge myself even if no one is reading anymore!

Right at this very very moment I am suppossed to be sitting on stage playing 5th horn in the fabulous Mahler Symphony #2, and listening to dh rock the house on 1st horn (yes, he's kinda my boss at work). What could be better than that?? I guess it must be staying home this week and declining all work until further notice so I can spend more relaxed and quality time with my kids. At least that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it

I have wrestled with whether or not to work since #1 was born in 2000, but especially this year since #4 was born. I had always supported myself entirely before I married dh in '99, and to suddenly stop doing what I spent so many years in school for and so many years "perfecting" seemed crazy!

I love (usually) playing in orchestra and get paid way too much per hour to do it, but with childcare costing so much the profit aspect has become sort of a mute point. So I realized it was vanity and selfishness that caused me to turn our lives upside down every couple weeks with sitters and pizza guy and after-concert bar hangs....not exactly mother-of -the-year material.

I also felt bad because dh basically has 2 jobs: his gig with the symphony and an ebay business that he's on for 6-7 hours almost every day. Then one night when I was indulging in some "poor-me, I'm so torn about my career choices" he kindly reminded me that if he had to pay a cook, maid, nanny, and..uh..."companion"...he'd be shelling out a good $150,000 extra a year!

So, I decided to listen to God for a change, and try what I think he's been telling me since out "surprise baby" came in 2005, which is that NOW is not the time to work. Maybe later, maybe not, but now is prime kiddo time and I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I shortchange these little guys for some non-essential pursuit. There may be a time when the family has reached a certain age that I can take up playing again. We are blessed now by a good income from dh, but there is talk of the orchestra folding and if we have to live on just ebay $$ I might have to work some, but for now I just need to wake up and smell the writing on the wall!

BTW, I'm not saying anything about anyone who IS working... this is just what's painfully (and joyfully) obvious fro me right now. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!
cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

cornomama4 wrote:
I'll indulge myself even if no one is reading anymore!

Right at this very very moment I am suppossed to be sitting on stage playing 5th horn in the fabulous Mahler Symphony #2, and listening to dh rock the house on 1st horn (yes, he's kinda my boss at work). What could be better than that?? I guess it must be staying home this week and declining all work until further notice so I can spend more relaxed and quality time with my kids. At least that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it

I'm reading still!

Cm4 -- playing 5th horn sounds amazing!! And hard to leave! I LOVE LOVE listening to live orchestras -- and I sang with one once upon a time -- and I can't imagine how wonderful to be part of making such glorious music and FEELING it all around you! Wow!
But Congratulations on staying home too! That is little, hidden and invisible work that's so much harder and yet so much more beautiful too!

God bless!

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

I have worked part time here and there to make ends meet when ness.
I have been lucky in that I haven't worked in the past 5 yrs. It has been nice.
the last time we needed extra income, dh got a couple of extra jobs. so I was off the hook.

but if needed, I would do it!.. right now I am looking at working for a kayaking company that takes people out on a biolumenesence bay here on the island... THAT would be a cool and fun job!!! not happening and time soon, but would be awesome!
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

I do and have done a variety of things to help ease the financial burden on my husband, and with varying degrees of success.

Most importantly, I work part (almost full) time for our family publishing company. It's very time consuming, but we try to involve the kids as much as possible with research and travel. I haven't been blogging very much lately because right after we recovered from a nasty bout of flu, I had to begin reviewing resumes for account reps, web developers, and freelance writers and photographers. Work seems to ebb and flow around here and sometimes it is hard to find my stride so that the kids feel nurtured. We try to take on projects that the kids can be involved in, and which support our family-centeredness and learning.

I also have planned weddings and other special events. It has always provided a nice addition to the accounts when I can spare the time to take on a job. The older kids are getting to an age that they can help out with events, which they seem very keen to do.

I also write and speak publicly on topics that are important to me. It's infrequent and not terribly well-paid, but interesting.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Roma
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 20 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Roma

Elena wrote:
I transcribe medical reports for three clients. I try to type in the early morning and late afternoons.

i've been interested in this off and on. could you tell us more. what school did you use? any other tips?
thanks
Back to Top View Roma's Profile Search for other posts by Roma

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version