Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Summer Energy Saving Tips? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LisaR wrote:
We have to run a dehumidifier in our basement (kind of sucks out the humidity throughout the house) in the summer months. problem is- it is heat producing, and also (I am assuming) a pretty good electricity sucker. any ideas for eco/budget friendly dehumidifying ideas?

Lisa, how old is your dehumidifier? They do use a lot of energy, but there are newer ones that are "Energy Star". Basically you can choose it to cycle and not run all the time, thereby saving electricity that way. After doing some research, you really will save money and energy buying a new one. It's an upfront cost, though.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

JennGM wrote:
Lisa, how old is your dehumidifier? They do use a lot of energy, but there are newer ones that are "Energy Star". Basically you can choose it to cycle and not run all the time, thereby saving electricity that way. After doing some research, you really will save money and energy buying a new one. It's an upfront cost, though.

sigh, I am sure this is our problem: we bought a reconditioned one at Sears years ago for a steal, and it just won't die!!
It is most certainly not energy efficient. Dh especially hates to "throw out" anything that still runs.
the link to the natural dehumidifiers looked intriguing and inexpensive- but I don;t get "how" exactly it would work? and we literally can suck out gallons in a very short amount of time, so I could just imagine myself emptying those little things out many many times per day.
Running the AC is the only time we run the de humidifier too- if the windows are open it is a waste of energy to be drawing humidity in through open windows. one would think that the AC in and of itself would be drying enough, but I guess not here.
We tried for awhile running it only at night, but it just gets too humid.
maybe this is the year to spring for a new more efficient one....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

on that note, do any of you do the "actual pay" option for your electricity? Instead of the flat rate charge you are charge per actual use, with "off " times being greatly reduced price?
I have been tempted, but dh dosen't want me to be doing our laundry at midnight or 4 am, LOL....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version