Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Easter basket/gifts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

We don't do the whole Easter Bunny thing here but we do like to have an egg hunt (plastic with little treats inside depending on age - usually snacky stuff) and give baskets or small gifts. This year I feel brain dead about it all though. I'm trying hard to think of things that won't just turn out to be junk to be tossed a week later - trying to radically declutter, you know.

If you do baskets/gifts, what's on tap for this year?

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

So far, we have a "family" basket so mom can maintain control over treats and toys are community things.

This year, I found a great deal on those cute children's gardening sets that I saw in catalogs at Christmas (maybe Magic Cabin). I think they are regularly close to $40, and I found them for $10 at Tuesday Morning. Anway, I got one of those, and I think I'll add some packets of wildflower seeds for the boys to plant.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

So Blessed
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 10 2008 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote So Blessed

I'm also doing baskets differently this year in the name of decluttering. There will just be candy and some gum in the baskets, which we do hide. In lieu of basket trinkets this year, holy or otherwise, I've been using my Michael's and Joann's coupons for a few weeks and stocking up on some new craft kits/supplies. I have a Klutz lettering book my girls will love, a make your own spring window cling kit, a fun paper flower frame mobile kit, and a rocket balloon launcher I know the 4 yo will claim. I'll wrap these in springy wrap and hide them as well. They'll be family gifts.
Back to Top View So Blessed's Profile Search for other posts by So Blessed

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

So Blessed wrote:
I'm also doing baskets differently this year in the name of decluttering. There will just be candy and some gum in the baskets, which we do hide. In lieu of basket trinkets this year, holy or otherwise, I've been using my Michael's and Joann's coupons for a few weeks and stocking up on some new craft kits/supplies.

Great idea! My sister did that with Thomas trains, using a coupon each week to put into the baskets.

I saw this food allergy celebrating Easter recommendations which was good in staying away from the food aspect.

I'm hoping to add a few books to the basket and a bit of candy, but not much.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

As regards the clutter issue, last year, I bought four white rectangular baskets and let the kids decorate them with ribbon and flowers from the craft closet. During the rest of the year, they held napkins, hand towels and pillowcases in my linen closet.

Anyway, around here, the Easter Angels bring a little bit of candy (mostly chocolate eggs) and things like reading books, little activity books (from Dover), sidewalk chalk, art supplies, jump ropes, bubble wands, hair accessories form the dollar bins and miniature foam airplanes. Other than the books, we try to choose things that are consumable in one way or another. Now, since we do very little candy , each child also gets one special gift from Mom and Dad. This year, we are going with a "new life" theme. For my girls, we are thinking about a ladybug and butterfly growing kit and my boys are going to get a root growing kit. Or we might do a small (2 gallon) aquarium for them all to share.

I am hoping as they get older we can transition to a family basket only but they really love decorating their own.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

We'll tuck a book for each boy in a basket with a bit of candy. This year I bought wooden eggs to paint and decorate instead of dying real eggs. I hope to keep up this tradition and each boy will have his own collection as he grows just as they have Christmas ornaments. In addition, I'll tuck some seed packets and garden gloves into each basket as well a sand toy. I'm making a sand play box and a children's garden box out of two large underbed storage containers as gifts for the whole family.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Chiming in here to say we also do a large family basket. I started doing this several children ago and it's such a wonderful blessing to just toss the treats in that one basket (plus I don't feel guilt for raiding one of the kids' baskets ). I usually purchase a DVD the kids have been wanting, and depending on the budget, some fun springtime outside items like sidewalk chalk, bubbles, etc.

I like Matilda's idea for a butterfly growing kit. DD6 has been wanting one (as have I) for some time now, and it would be a really neat family project. Hmmm...time to think about that one seriously!

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

The idea of a large family baskets filled with tings other than candy is wonderful! Why didn't I think of that before! Thanks so much for sharing these great ideas!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We did a fishing theme one year, all the dc received new poles and gear. Big hit

Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

we've done gardening, and outside games and such..

This year it's sorta gardening.. I think I'll put gloves in their baskets and also give them new croc/clogs for summer.. I love it when I can arrange to get the things we want them to have for a season anyway as gifts for an occation

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We're doing gum, candy, hair bows, stickers, sidewalk chalk, box of crayons, markers and gift certificates to roller skating rink.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I really like the idea of a family basket!

We only do a little bit of sweets, and usually a new book for each child. I try to include a new statue or holy reminder for each child too. I'm with Amy...I got tired of purchasing cheap little toys for the baskets only to throw them out the next week. I like the coupon idea to a favorite place too Suzanne - might give that one some thought!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
I really like the idea of a family basket!

We only do a little bit of sweets, and usually a new book for each child. I try to include a new statue or holy reminder for each child too. I'm with Amy...I got tired of purchasing cheap little toys for the baskets only to throw them out the next week. I like the coupon idea to a favorite place too Suzanne - might give that one some thought!

Yk what my mother did? She bought the cute little wind up toys, etc... that were Easter themed, put them in our baskets, and then, after a week or so, she put them back away with the baskets, plastic eggs, etc... After a year, you kind of forget about them, so, we would get them several years in a row in our baskets, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Great ideas! I was going to try to make homemade candy this year. Long pretzals dipped in caramel, dipped in choclate and then rolled in nuts are a favorite here. Cream cheese mints, fudge, and whatever else I can think of between now and then. (cookies are a possibility too.) I just noticed our kids tend to freak out on jelly beans etc and get hyper for a day or two afterwards. Plus, I am trying to save money around here lately!

I like the idea of a family basket, but there are stong rivalries in our family of 8 children, and I think a family basket would make them freak out. Bravo to those of you all who can have the children share in that way!!! (My kids are good, but not THAT good. )

I also like the idea of crafts and things like that to fill the basket as opposed to just candy. I was just going to post this question and you all beat me to the punch.      

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I too do a family basket -- that way the Easter Bunny can do a bit "better" .... this year, we're getting the whole Chronicles of Narnia on CD, a Freddy Treasury, some traditional Easter candy/treats, etc. This way everyone can enjoy what's in the basket and Easter doesn't turn into another "I wonder what the Easter Bunny will bring me" ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

This year, besides the usual candy, each child will receive a tshirt in their basket. My dc enjoy receiving clothes as presents. I've been watching the ads at Target and wait till they are only $5-$7 each. It's usually some sort of sports shirt with a soccer ball or something on it. And for my youngest dd I found a princess shirt on clearance for $3 too. So it really "fills" the basket and they enjoy something new (that won't get broken ) This year it was a bit harder for my oldest (12yodd) as she moved into the juniors section...not always so cute there! But I found something with bold strips and was modestly cut (another hard thing to find), so I figured that was the closest I was going to come to something "fun" for her!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version