Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgical Calendar Wheel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Has anyone ever made a Liturgical Calendar Wheel on poster board or otherwise?? I thought I remembered seeing one in A Year With God put out by CHC, but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully made one and if they could describe it in detail or post a picture for me (I tend to be craft impaired ), so any explanation will be much appreciated. Or other ideas are welcome in this vain as well. Thanks so much!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Our Father's House did at one time have a large poster of this liturgical calendar to color. They haven't carried it for a few years - don't know why. Anyway, I have looked high and low for another one like it that could be colored but no luck. Liturgical Training Publications does carry the larger poster already made. It could be used as a model. I tried to save the image and enlarge it to see if we could get it big enough to actually see the dates and readings. Unfortunately, it is too blurry to see when enlarged. Since I've been thinking about it for about a year I decided to try to do an electronic one. I'll let you know how that goes if I do get it done.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Roxanne Flick posted her wheel she did from A Year With God on the Yahoo Group FunFaithFormers in the photo section. She wasn't pleased with the result...said it got too full of information and looked messy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

happyheartsmom wrote:
Has anyone ever made a Liturgical Calendar Wheel on poster board or otherwise?? I thought I remembered seeing one in A Year With God put out by CHC, but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully made one and if they could describe it in detail or post a picture for me (I tend to be craft impaired ), so any explanation will be much appreciated. Or other ideas are welcome in this vain as well. Thanks so much!

Meredith,

We've done this. It's really quite simple. Several years ago I posted a template in the CCM files section. I don't know if it's still there (I'm not a member anymore) but you could check. How detailed you want it to be is up to you but you could draw a large circle on a poster board and then section it into 52 even "slices" for each week of the year. Date it beginning at the top for the start of the liturgical year (First Sunday of Advent) and go around from there. Then you can color it in regards to the various seasons (green for ordinary time, etc.). Does this make sense or is it confusing? I am visual too so I understand that.

Updated to add: The blank calendar wheel can be found at:

http://family-centered.com/life/the-liturgical-year/

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 4:28am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Meredith,
For the first time this year I finally made one of these.

You wouldn't happen to have any old Latin Missals in the house? That is where I found a liturgical cycle wheel. In the front of a St Joseph Missal. I'm rather craft impaired also. I couldn't visualise.

First I drew a circle. For the circle I used my large wok lid. A friend suggested a garbage lid. Then I used a saucepan lid to draw a smaller circle. Between the two circles I spaced out the months of the year. Obviously December and January at the top.

They had the year divided into ordinary time, advent, Lent, Pentceost, Easter time. To explain, under December in the smaller cicle colour a pie of a four week size purple. Write Advent on this.

Then have a smaller pie white, write Christmas and the Ephinany (Jan 6). The white pie goes from the last part of Dec. to early Jan.

Then a green pie for the 'Time after Ephinany" (1-6 sundays)

Sometime in February or March(depending on the year) you start a purple slice of pie, obviously this starts from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.

Then in March or April it is white againthis is Easter Time, Easter ?Sunday at the beginning, this is a period of 8 Sundays so is large, ending with the Ascension.

Then a small pie of red for Pentecost.

White again for Trinity Sunday and Corpus Christi. Small pie here.

Then the largest pie, green from about June or July, Time after Pentecost, this is a period of 24-28 Sundays, Circling around till advent.

Hope you can follow this. I always wanted to do this but never fully understood when it was explained. Also I just wasn't confident, It wasn't as hard as I thought.

My next thing was all the Feast Days I wanted to celebrate and how to fit that on the calendar. If your interestd I'll write more later.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and examples, this is just what I needed to get the ball rolling. I tried to copy the one from the site Mary mentioned as well and it's a no go . I have a feeling my very visual and artistic dd will be able to fly with this with a little direction from me Thanks again, and if anyone wants to post a picture of theirs we'd love to see it!! Blessings.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I also don't do well with craft type things, but had a picture of one from CHC publication. DD who is more crafty outlined circle in pencil until everything seemed as desired. We got a big poster board and drew the circle in the middle. Now that it is done (except the brad clip), my one recommendation would be to make the circle smaller and leave plenty of room for the mini-sized holy cards we used to denote the feasts,etc.

Our next plan is to make a calendar per month to highlight more of the feasts and complement the liturgical wheel. Look at the wheel as the overview and the calendar as the detail!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Our Father's House is carrying the Liturgical Calendar Wheel to color again!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Our Father's House is carrying the Liturgical Calendar Wheel to color again!!!

Yeah - Thanks for pointing that out!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Jenn, you're awesome thank you so much. Have yet to make my own, it seems such a daunting task for some reason but I really think the visual in our hs room would be helpful (mostly for me ). Then at a moments notice I can tell the dc where we are and what day it is in the liturgical cycle. I have a great calendar set up with holy cards on the appropriate days for feasts, etc, but I just really envision this wonderful wheel of colors If anyone else has had any luck with theirs and how you make it come alive for your family do tell

Thanks again, off to Our Father's House, cc ready!!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I just posted a new 2005/2006 Liturgical wheel calendar on my free extras page.

I needed to make one for RCIA and figured I would post it for anyone else who wants one. It's just regular 8½ x 11 paper size but it's a nice visual.

Of course I still would recommend Our Father's House's big one --it's much more detailed and is a great family project.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thank you so much for posting this Michelle. It's wonderful. I tried my hand at making one a few weeks ago but I don't have Adobe Acrobat so it didn't turn out very "even" at all. Pays to have a good program, I guess.

Our Domestic Church

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MaryM wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this Michelle. It's wonderful. I tried my hand at making one a few weeks ago but I don't have Adobe Acrobat so it didn't turn out very "even" at all. Pays to have a good program, I guess.

Mary,

I used a free downloadable program called Round Calendar. Once I had the calendar with the dates done and colors correct I saved it as a bitmap and then edited it (adding the Alpha and Omega, the months etc.) in Photoshop.

I am going to add more (label Easter, Christmas etc.)when I get time

God bless!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Michelle, what a Godsend this is, thank you so much!! This is so much appreciated and helpful. I am so glad you could share this with all of us    

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2005 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

This is probably a silly question, but after you finish the liturgical year calendar from Our Father's House where do you get it laminated? It sure won't fit thru my small laminator.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2005 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

momtomany wrote:
This is probably a silly question, but after you finish the liturgical year calendar from Our Father's House where do you get it laminated? It sure won't fit thru my small laminator.

Mary Ann,

We have a store locally called "Education Station" that has a large laminator. On Tusedays they only charge 80¢/foot so it's really a bargain. Of course their regular price is only $1/foot anyway so I get a lot of things laminated there...though I always try to go on Tuesdays to save money.    I'd say check your phone book and call around to see if you can find someplace with a big laminator.

God bless!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mardel Christian and Educational Supply has stores around the country. I didn't include the link because it doesn't appear to be working. But anyway, they have a self-service laminating machine at the store here (24 inches wide) and they only charge 25 cents a foot. It's an incredible bargain. Not sure if all the stores do it, but it's worth a check.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version