Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: MODG - best accredited CE/CM? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 05 2008 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote gina

My dear Ladies,

My DH insists we use an accredited home study school from now on, due to college entrance requirements, etc...

I am having a very hard time deciding between ACCREDITED Curriculums:

SETON: again next year?(7thgrade) and learning how to tweak it and cut out busy work. It's just so much work. We have no time to relax and enjoy life and play in 6th grade, much less any nature study. Now maybe my ds12 is a bit scared of writing and he procrastinates(because he fears that it will take all day to do his work), but when he finally does it he writes pretty well and he gets through his stack of books like a soldier. Should I just stick with it and hope he will start getting done by 2pm. (We now run several days till 4pm - then time to make dinner and never get out of the house, etc...) I am drained from keeping after him, and ds7 is lonely and wants him to play, but he can't.

or

MODG: I have been looking at this a long time and we did a version of this in 5th and enjoyed it, esp the Poem memorization, and illustration. But, is it going to give us more free time and some nature study, good science?
Is it going to teach my ds writing and thinking skills?
I guess I am just afraid to change and have to change back. And CA is so far from AL.

I need an Accredited CE/CM home study school to stay with through Highschool

I Know there have been several threads on CE/CM and I have read most of them, but I specifically want to talk about accredited home study schools.

I hope you all can give me some Words of Wisdom.

I am grateful for this forum and all who have gone before me homeschooling thru highschool.

Hoping for guidance.

Gina in ALabama
Back to Top View gina's Profile Search for other posts by gina

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 05 2008 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Gina,
If you are comfortable and wanting to tweak and customize, but still want accreditation, I'd look at Kolbe. I am so impressed with their support. I wish I'd done this with Michael. They even have the NCAA requirements right there in the handy-dandy "Parent as Counselor" book. They have high school all laid out if you want it that way, but they are very, very respectful of the parent's role and fully supportive of tweaking.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Nina

Gina,I agree with you about Seton,it does seem like a lot of busy work.You could just tweak the assignments,they don't require all work to be sent in for a grade.Kolbe is a very good program.I'm thinking about that myself.I know someone who graduated from Kolbe and now is getting mostly A's at Gonzaga U.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

I have had my children enrolled in St. Thomas Aquinas Academy.

www.staa-homeschool.com

I absolutely love their program, not only for their excellent curriculum, but also because of the individualized attention that they give to each one of my children and to me as the teacher.

When I enrolled my children for the first time three years ago, I told them that I wanted to follow a classical model of education using Charlotte Mason as the method with which I instucted my children. STAA has been very accomodating and my couselor has recommended excellent sources from which my children work.

I have found this program to be the most flexible of any of the other curriculums that I have experience with. I liken it to a separate garden that is being planted for each of my children. However, they also make it incredibly family friendly by having the kids all on the same rotation of studies. This year all of my kids, from high school down to pre-school are immersed in the study of Greek history, Greek mythology and Astonomy. That has kept me sane this year!!

I would definitely encourage you to check it out before deciding which program to use.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to pm me!

Wishing you all the best!

gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote gina

So, Elizabeth,

You would have used Writing Strands or Kolbe's Composition choice, instead of IEW?

I am comfortable tweaking History, and some cutting out of busy work, but I need a good solid plan for English, Writing & Composition, Literature, and Science. Daily/Weekly lesson plans and support if needed.

Thanks for your help,
I admire your teaching ability,

Gina
Back to Top View gina's Profile Search for other posts by gina

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

No,for my high schooler, I'm using IEW and Kolbe's literature plans and I will add The Stewart English Program. Kolbe is fine with that. I'm currently using Kolbe science with my biggest boys, but honestly, it worked out really well to save the lab sciences for later in high school and let them take it for dual credit at the community college.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Adding: my current high schooler has special needs that would require an IEP in the school system. Kolbe has worked with me to create exactly what works--what plays to his strengths and doesn't frustrate him. It's also been very, very nice for me to have someone to call who is much more experienced than I am. This was a good fit for us right now. MODG would probably work similarly but I made this jump to a program at the end of January, not a typical enrollment time.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Elizabeth wrote:
Adding: my current high schooler has special needs that would require an IEP in the school system. Kolbe has worked with me to create exactly what works--what plays to his strengths and doesn't frustrate him. It's also been very, very nice for me to have someone to call who is much more experienced than I am. This was a good fit for us right now. MODG would probably work similarly but I made this jump to a program at the end of January, not a typical enrollment time.

Hope I'm not hijacking, but I'm certain this will be my oldest in 3/4 years. Did Kolbe require results of official educational testing to make these changes? I know they let the parent be the guide for the most part, but I fear we'll need to make major changes! Feel free to PM me if this is too much of a hijack.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 05 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

amyable wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Hope I'm not hijacking, but I'm certain this will be my oldest in 3/4 years. Did Kolbe require results of official educational testing to make these changes? I know they let the parent be the guide for the most part, but I fear we'll need to make major changes! Feel free to PM me if this is too much of a hijack.

My sense is that it's up to your discretion,Amy. I'm not a Kolbe expert, at all. I'd give them a call.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

My SIL has/is using Kolbe since her oldest (a Junior in college now!) was in pre-K. Kolbe is phenomenal with adjusting and making it very doable for a family. If I was doing high school, I would definitely go with them.

Seton is great, but it's really Catholic school at home -- a bit dry and not as flexible as Kolbe. Kolbe also gives a "more than 3, they're free" type of discount.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version