Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Fra Angelico - March Artist Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2008 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Fra Angelico (c. 1395 – February 18, 1455), an early Renaissance painter, was born in Tuscany, Italy. His given name is Guido di Pietro. He and his supposed younger brother, Fra Benedetto da Fiesole, joined the order of Preachers in 1407, entering the Dominican convent at Fiesole. He was known to his contemporaries as Fra Giovanni da Fiesole (Brother John from Fiesole). He was a very holy man. It is said that he never handled a brush without fervent prayer and he wept when he painted a Crucifixion. In Giorgio Vasari’s Lives of the Artists, written prior to 1555, he is already known as Fra Giovanni Angelico (Brother Giovanni the Angelic One). He was also called Il Beato (the Blessed). He was beatifiied by Pope John Paul II in 1982.

Fra Angelico began his art career as an illustratorss of manuscripts. And his works are said to reveal elements that are both conservatively Gothic and progressively Renaissance. His most famous frescoes are in the convent of San Marco in Florence (which is now a museum).

As mentioned before, Pope John Paul II beatified Fra Angelico on October 3, 1982 and in 1984 declared him patron of Catholic artists.   

Angelico was reported to say "He who does Christ's work must stay with Christ always". This motto earned him the epithet "Blessed Angelico", because of the perfect integrity of his life and the almost divine beauty of the images he painted, to a superlative extent those of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
    —Pope John Paul II

Catholic Encyclopedia biography at New Advent

Wikipedia biography

He has many beautiful works that fit in particularly well with this month (with the early Easter), when we remember the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Our Lord as well as the Annunciation.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2008 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Annunciation (c. 1430-1432)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Paintings for the Armadio degli Argenti

The paintings of the Armadio degli Argenti show episodes from the New Testament. This section includes the life of Jesus leading up to the Passion.

The paintings shown from the lower left side:
Resurrection of Lazarus
Entrance to Jerusalem
Washing of the Feet
Communion of the Apostles
Capture of Christ
Christ before Caiafas

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Crucifixion and the Saints (1441-42)

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2008 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Resurrection of Christ and Women at the Tomb (1440-41)

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2008 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Annotated Art from DK Publishing includes "The Annunciation" above as one of its featured paintings. It has great explanations of all the symbolism. Very informative.

For example:
(In the upper left corner)Adam and Eve are expelled from Eden into a barren landscape because of their original sin. They have clothed their nakeness with the skins of animlas, which God provided. By contrast the Annunciation takes place in a fertile garden, which signifies the hope of salvation through the birth of Jesus Christ.

Fra Angelico includes this scene of the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden as a reminder of Man's fall from grace and an affirmation that Christ was born into the world to save humanity from sin.

Our Domestic Church

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wonderful Mary, thanks so much for putting this together!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

JoBeth in OH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 04 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote JoBeth in OH

Thank you for putting this together Mary. I really enjoy the artist of the month series.

I also wanted to add that the Magnificat Rosary Companion (only $3.95 ) features the work of Fra Angelico for each of the mysteries. Of the twenty mysteries, only three are painted by different artists. I don't think I have to go on and on how beautiful and what a great aid in contemplation it is. All you have to do is look at the images above!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thank you Mary!!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 05 2008 at 2:56am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm glad you're finding this helpful and an interesting study for March. Please include anything you do to go along in your homes (link to blog posts, etc.) or post your chidlren's thoughts/comments about the pieces.

Another really intriguing aspect of the Annunciation painting are the words shown coming out of the Angel Gabriel's mouth and out of Mary's.

Gabriel says to Mary "The Holy Spirit shall come over thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee."

And Mary's response, "Behold the handmaiden of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy word."

If you can get a close-up of the words you will see that the ones Mary utters shown coming from her mouth are upside down. It has been suggested that her words are painted upside down so that God, who looks down on the scene from above, can read them.

Our Domestic Church

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Mary - Thank you for this! It has reminded my of my Fra Angelico book on my shelf that my dh bought for me when we saw the special exhibition of his work at the Met in NY. The colors in real life are almost unbelievably vivid.

My favorite pieces for Lent are two images of Christ's Holy Face - one is full of pain and sorrow - very intense.   This copy I found online does not do the painting justice.

The other I could not find online but it is a face so full of love and serenity - it is simply the most beautiful face I have ever seen! I like to look at these two pieces together - so sorry I could not find it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version