Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Our first rabbit trail!-Dogs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JeniferS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote JeniferS

We're about to head off on our first rabbit trail.....dogs!

My son has a new favorite book, The Dog Breed Bible, he takes it everywhere with him and is reading and re-reading about his favorite breeds.

I suggested we make a book of his favorite breeds and he agreed, was actually even excited about it. He then suggested that after we make this book, we make another one of his favorite groups of dogs (ie hound group, toy group, etc).

I'm excited thinking about the possiblities of what to study for this and what trips we can take...maybe deliver dog food to the local animal shelter, etc.
Back to Top View JeniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JeniferS Visit JeniferS's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Yay! Have fun with it! And don't forget the Iditarod starts saturday!
Follow the race here

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Not sure how old your son is, but a cool idea might be for him to start a dog-walking business in your neighborhood?
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

JeniferS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote JeniferS

What a great site, Theresa! Thanks. I will definitely have us get ready to follow the race. I've never done that before so it should be fun.

Sarah, that is a great idea but he's only seven and can't even walk our puppy! LOL (although she is already about 55lbs). But, you do have me thinking that we can research different jobs that have to do with dogs!!
Back to Top View JeniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JeniferS Visit JeniferS's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Jenifer! Sounds good. I have a little blurb about our dogs' breed on my blog that might be a fun addition. I bet lots of members have photos of their dogs on blogs (blogs on dogs? !). That way, you could make the rabbit trail extra personal.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Here a few ideas:
Take a digital photo of your dog and print it up. Have ds use his dog book to label the parts of a dog on the picture to use as a key. Then ds can practice on your dog naming the parts until he knows them by heart.

Go to the Art attack website art attack and scroll down to the activity "drawing dogs." It is a fun and easy way to draw dogs.

Lots of recipes for home-made doggie treats here.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
Yay! Have fun with it! And don't forget the Iditarod starts saturday!
Follow the race here

If you get The Old Schoolhouse magazine, the Winter issue has a unit study on the Iditarod.

How long does the race last? And is it televised?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

The race is typically won in 9-10 days (the record is Martin Buser's 2002 run of 8 days, 22 hours), with the last mushers arriving several days later.
As far as television, I am not sure. I assume there will be some footage available of the start and finish, but most of the race is in very remote locations. There will be some streaming video available (some free, some for a fee) at the Iditarod website. We will most likely sign up for the Iditarod Insider, which is a subscription service for exclusive streaming video. I think it is about 20 bucks. Well worth it to fans like us. Otherwise, you can always check the website for latest photos and race updates.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, and I think Hands of a Child has a sled dog lapbook, fyi.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It would be fun to read a bunch of quality picture books featuring different breeds of dogs and identify them. I admit that I don't know that much about dog breeds but there are a few books I really enjoy that I do know the dog breeds.

Lassie Come Home - collie
Floss, Just Like Floss (or any other Kim Lewis book) - border collie

Wind-Wild Child - husky
The Robert J. Blake books generally feature Siberian husky.
Akiak
Swift
Togo

Pretzel - dachshund
Noodle - dachshund

The Wolfhound - borzoi

Good Dog, Carl series - rottweiler

Anyone have more?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

101 Dalmations!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 3:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Right on, Theresa - if chapter books are included the options increase even more!

One breed I wanted to single out for study - the Polish Tatra sheep dog. This is a breed of large sheep dog that originated in the Tatra mountains of southern Poland. This is the region where Jasna Gora (and Our Lady of Czestochowa) is located and where Pope John Paul II was from. We were introduced to these beautiful dogs at a sheepherding festival in Idaho awhile back. In their exhibit, they had this picture of Karol Wojtyla holding a tatra puppy. I just knew then and there this was a special breed of dog with the connection to the homeland of our late Holy Father. (Being Polish myself probably had something to do with my interest in them as well ) Anyway - they have an interesting history.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Some dog-themed chapter books:

Balto and the Great Race (Siberian Husky)
Old Yeller
Where the Red Fern Grows
Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale(Newfoundland)
There are actually lots of books about Seaman , the dog from the L&C expeditions, written at all reading levels.
One of my all-time favorite books: Love That Dog by Sharon Creech. Parents, pre-read this book if you have a sensitive child, as it deals very poignantly with the death of a beloved pet, written in the style of a child's journal. An excellent but very moving book.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Just a note: the book Love That Dog, is actually more about writing poetry than about dogs, but I just had to sneak it in here, it is such a good book.

JeniferS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote JeniferS

I love love love Where the Red Fern Grows!

I'm so excited about all of the book recommendations! My son (7 yr old) has never liked sitting down for a read aloud but we are almost finished with the Spiderwick series and he's really enjoying it. I'll have to pick one of these dog books for our next story!

I am loving all of these ideas!

I'm thinking we can also make a Venn Diagram with two or three of the dog groups.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Dog Song By Gary Paulson
The First Dog by Jan Brett
Of course we can't forget Henry and Ribsy!(Jenifer, I bet you son would love that one!)

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote MarieA

The Mightiest Heart is a great book about an Irish Wolfhound. It is a medieval retelling of a Welsh legend. (It is a little sad..) The book and author's website can be found here The Mightiest Heart. This site a a wonderful resource for dog information, books, medieval times, training and dog units! And remember, it is almost the 17th of March, so the Irish Wolfhound is very appropriate!

Enjoy!    (I grew up with one of these dogs. They are wonderful family dogs wrapped up in a gentle giant's body!)

MarieA
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Remember the dog in Sign of the Beaver? And I remember a German book about a German shepherd who became leader of a dingo pack...can't remember the name of it though.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

Stone Fox is a good light chapter book with a Husky sled dog and a boy in a race....little sad in parts but a good book nonetheless.

We also just finished a book my aunt gave me called Woodsong by Gary Paulsen who ran the iditarod. It's for ages 12+ though because there are some gruesome parts, but I read it aloud to my 8 & 11 yr old boys and they absolutely loved it, even DH got wrapped up in it with us!
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

If you have ever wondered what all of the hype is about, watch this video and you'll see:Iditarod 2008 Preview

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version