Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: cheese molds? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

My very Russian grandmother would make "Easter Cheese" every year. I know it is pretty common in Eastern Europe, but it is very time consuming, and I am a little nervous about using the raw eggs (although I ate it every year growning up .) However, I have found a recipe that I am would like to give a try, that looks like it might give a similar result.

But now I am hoping to find a cheese mold. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? They usually had Greek symbols or an Eastern style cross on them.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Laura,

I have never done this but I think if you google for Pascha or Paska butter or cheese molds you'll find what you need. One year we attended a Byzantine Church for the entire Triduum and Easter and we had done the "great fast" which is NO dairy or meat and was an amazing experience. But I remember the ladies bringing butter and cheese molded in obviously VERY traditional molds. But some also got the Wilton cake molds (lamb, cross, etc) and just used those ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't have the Russian or Ukrainian heritage but one year I tried my hand at making Pascha (or paska or pashka). There is also another name for the Easter cheese, but I can't remember. It seems the traditional Russian mold is pyramidal in shape. I've found wood (expensive) and plastic ones online, but only saved one bookmark, so I can't find the plastic source right now. Ukrainian tradition seems to have it more of a flowerpot shape.

Since my time was an experiment, I used Evelyn Vitz's suggestion to use a clay flowerpot and cheesecloth as the mold. My final result was very tasty (like cheesecake), but it didn't drain well, so still very runny.

Here are some links I've found:

Wooden molds

Example of a plastic one

Another plastic one

These links have the frugal suggestions for the molds:

A Continual Feast: Evelyn Vitz (View page 205 or search pascha mold to view the page)

Pascha Recipes

Easter Treats for the Elderly
By Arlene Kallaur

I hope you have a wonderful time reviving this family tradition.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I now remember some of my confusion in searching a recipe. Pascha in some places is an Easter bread, not an Easter cheese. I'd love to have a diagram of the different eastern cultures (Russian Orthodox, Ukrainian, Slovak, Carparthian (sp), Byzantine....) with their corresponding Easter foods and recipes, so I can sort out the name confusion in my head.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh, oh, oh! That is just what I was looking for!!! Thank you!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version