Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: blenders? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

I would love a recommendation for a blender. Mine just doesn't work at all for smoothies, crushing ice to add juice to - anything really.
I want to buy a new one but when I look around they all seem pretty cheap and flimsy.
Thanks!!

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I love our Osterizer beehive blender. The trick with blenders is that you only need two speeds: on and pulse. If you only want to "chop" something you need a knife, not a blender. The two=speed blenders have a lot more power. We've used ours almost daily for almost five years. It's great.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm watching this thread closely! I'd like a Vitamix, but I'm not sure I need THAT kind of power, plus they are soooo expensive! I too would like a really good, powerful blender.

Any other recommendations? And is it a worthwhile appliance to have? Or would the food processor do the same thing? I'm asking because I have very limited counter space, and the idea of yet another appliance does give me pause.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I have had this one from Hamilton Beach for several years. It does a good job on smoothies and everything else. I really like the food processor attachment. I use it for shredding cheese, slicing veggies and making deviled eggs, etc. I don't have a large food processor. I like having one appliance that serves two purposes.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I had a Bosch and I thought it was good. For years, I debated about a Vitamix. Now, we have one. And I have to say it quickly became the MOST used appliance in our household. It's extraordinary what it can do compared to the Bosch (or any of the other blenders we've ever had). Our fruit and vegetable consumption has gone up astronomically. I re-read all the Vitamix threads here before I bought mine and I'm pretty sure I couldn't find one person who regretted her purchase. We're in the throes of the flu here and we have it going pretty much constantly,making "sorbet" of ice and oranges and cherries. No sugar. Karoline has wanted this and nothing else for a week and now Katie is following behind. I remember running to the store during other winters to get Italian ice because it was the only thing standing between my little ones and the hospital to re-hydrate. This "sorbet" is so much better and so much better for them. I told Mike I think we've paid for the Vitamix during this single virus (not that we would have bought $400 worth of Italian ice, just that we saved a hospital visit by keeping her well hydrated).

I have one child who is the pickiest eater on the planet. He's plagued by extreme sensitivities to smells and textures. He's had spinach and carrots in his smoothies for the last month--but don't tell him !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I second the Vitamix. My kids fruit smoothies every day. You can also put red cabbage in it. I hadn't thought about the spinach. Well worth the price.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

hmmmmm you are making me want a Vitamix We no longer have a blender and I have managed just fine between the bullet and my food processor. But I can't make Italian Ice, and we love sorbet
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

I have looked at the vitamix a few times but I haven't brought it to my dh's attention due to the cost. I am definately interested though - as it is I have been through 2 blenders in the past 3 years so eventually I will have paid for a vitamix - right?   
I too have limited counter space and storage space so "consolidating" appliances is very appealing to me.
Thanks for the info ladies.

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version