Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Nursing Pads Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I can't find my nursing pads (they're probably being used as "babydoll pillows" somewhere and I don't know about it ). And I just googled "nursing pads" and found all kinds of products I had no idea existed.

Do any of you use anything besides disposable pads or reusable cotton pads? I just saw that there are wool ones, lilypads, cashmere, etc.

Feebback?
Experiences?
Opinions?

Here are a couple links I found:
Several different kinds
Wool Pads
Wool/cashmere and others listed here

ETA: Previous thread on LilyPads

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I used Danish Wool nursing pads after my last baby. I will never use another kind. They were hands down the best nursing pads I have ever used...I only needed two pair, and they were worth every single cent.

~Lisa
Mama to dd-8, ds-6, ds-4 and ds-2

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I'm laughing b/c whenever you recommend something, it always ends up being completely wonderful and "worth every penny" and I know afterward why you raved about it. For example....our last purchase of 2 Radian car seats!!!! Aaaaahhhhh! But, the $$$$$ spent was WAY cheaper than a new vehicle! and the only way to get 3 in that back seat! Not to mention that they are QUITE the carseats!

But, I digress....back to the all-important topic of nursing pads....

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm very intrigued by the Danish Wool nursing pads!! I've used all cotton flannel for all of my other children. The one time I tried disposable, I was irritated immediately. Can I also add that I have a major leakage problem for several months.   

The reviews of the Danish wool pad seem very promising.

Was it itchy at all Lisa??? And why did you feel 2 pair were sufficient. Did I mention I leak A LOT - I usually need to change 4 and 5 times a day.

Thanks for starting this Suzanne! I just got all my pads out the other day and washed them, and was wondering if I had enough.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jennifer, here is what is on the Danish Wool website:
Quote:
Most women need only 2 pairs for the entire nursing period. When one pair feels wet, let it dry while wearing the second pair. Lanolin's cleansing properties keep the wool fresh and hygienic.

The wool can absorb up to 40% of its weight without feeling wet. When the pads do feel wet, they're warm, not cold and clammy as with cotton or disposable pads.
Your skin is kept dry and able to breathe, allowing sore nipples to heal.

Scandinavian midwives have, for centuries, advised mothers to protect their breasts from wind and cold to prevent plugged ducts and mastitis. Larger sizes give protective coverage over greater a portion of the breast.

When needed, wash by hand in lukewarm water with mild hair shampoo, alternating with LANACare 20% Lanolin-Soap. LANA's lanolin-replenishing soap has a much higher lanolin content than most other wool-washes and will keep your pads feeling soft and soothing. Softline only - before laying pads out to dry, “whack” them against a hard surface to “fluff” wool fibers to their original form.

There is a new documentation that shows that putting a newly washed wool nursing pad in the microwave for 2 minutes removes all bacteria! .

Here is more:
Danish Nursing Pads Washing / Care Instructions
I'm wondering how long they take to dry. Since they hold MORE, you could let the 2nd pair dry for probably a lot longer than the regular ones. I'm wondering about the itchiness too. Also, how to determine when they need to be washed.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Yes, the itchy factor! Please Lisa, don't hold us in suspense much longer...I'm ready to click the "place order now" button!!!

Also, does anyone recommend or not the Lanacare Lanolin Soap????? I did find it here and it seems to be in stock. In looking around online though, some don't care for this brand of lanolin soap claiming it is full of chemicals and parabens. Anyone have any recommendations????

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We have Eucalan for our wool soaker diaper covers....but I don't know what the lanolin content is. The Danish wool site said that the one they sell is 20% lanolin content as opposed to 2-3%.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm thinking I'm going to order the Lanacare brand. I can't find anything listing the ingredients, just the vague negative comment I found. I do like that it is 20% lanolin.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Oh, gosh, sorry for the delay, ladies! I'm recovering from carpal tunnel surgery.

Lets see...no they didn't itch at all, they are very soft wool. I don't like to wear wool sweaters (even cashmere) because of the itch, and these pads didn't make me itch at all. I used the original danish wool pads, but if I were a heavy leaker, I would've bought the Ekstra. I would wear a pair, and if they got too soaked, I would switch pads and hang up the damp ones on the clothesline. They dried within a few hours. You don't need to wash them but once or twice a week, believe it or not. I bought the danish wool wash, and I still have more than a half bottle left over.

One other thing I really liked about these pads is the enormous size. I wore a medium, and I am very large-busted. The pads fill the entire bra cup, so you never have that "bulls-eye" look like you can get with regular nursing pads. Oh, another thing, I have heard from others that the Softline style isn't nearly as absorbant as the original.

Thanks for the compliment, btw, Suzanne. I'm glad you're happy with your carseats. We sure love ours!

~Lisa
Mama to dd-8, ds-6, ds-4 and ds-2

Back to Top View LisaD's Profile Search for other posts by LisaD Visit LisaD's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, thanks so much Lisa!!! I'm so relieved about the itchy factor. I did order the original, but I'm a heavy leaker, so I hope I don't regret not getting the Ekstra. Your input has been really helpful, and these pads seem like an answer to prayers for me. I didn't think about the larger size as helping to avoid the bullseye look! That is a great point! I'm excited to receive mine - hopefully they'll get here before the baby.

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Oh I am so glad to know about these. I will definately get some for my next baby. I used the Lansinoh disposible ones with the baby I am nursing now because all the cotton ones I have soaked right through at each feeding. I just recently stopped having to use them. I really wanted a cloth kind that wasn't too bulky and was absorbant, so I am so glad this topic was brought up, thanks!

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I was gonna ask about non-disposable pads too ! Thanks for this thread!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thanks, Lisa....for your feedback. Very helpful!   

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 07 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just wanted to come back to this thread and say how much I absolutely love my Danish Wool Nursing pads!!!!! They are so comfortable to wear. I thought they would feel big and bulky, but the fit was very comforting especially for the few days I was super engorged! I stay dry - haven't leaked through to a shirt yet (and I leak a lot!) Also, they don't give the big bullseye look like other pads - I think because they are larger and take up most of the cup of your bra.

I filled the first pads in a couple of days, so I washed them with the Lanacare wool soap from the same company. They were soooooo easy to wash - one swish and they felt clean again. I swished a couple more times for good measure, rolled them in a towel to squish out the excess water, and put them on a radiator to dry! Couldn't have been easier, and they feel like new - nice and soft!

I was most impressed when, after my initial engorgement, I felt a plugged duct starting. It hadn't gotten bad, but I realized I hadn't been wearing my nursing pads for a night and for the better part of that morning. I did everything you normally do to avert a plugged duct, massaging, stripping, so I don't know if that did it, or putting the nursing pads back in helped, or if it was a combination. But...as soon as I put the pads back in, I felt the warmth of the nursing pads. I tried to keep them in the area over the plugged duct. Instant comfort!   I'm not kidding. By that evening, I couldn't feel the plugged duct anymore. I'm convinced those nursing pads had something to do with the relief!

Anyway, just wanted to post my review of these, second Lisa's original endorsement, and offer my thanks to her for suggesting them to begin with. Well worth the $$ and so great for leakage. You won't be disappointed if you order these!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2008 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Glad you like them, Jennifer and you had them early enough at the beginning!!!!! Not that I EVER doubted Lisa's raving review..... .....I know better!

Now......the problem is getting that crazy soap!!! I'm not kidding.....all the online stores that carry the pads are OUT OF THE SOAP and Lana is not telling them when they'll be restocked. Jennifer, I think you got the last 250 ml bottle of Lanacare that exists!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:

Now......the problem is getting that crazy soap!!! I'm not kidding.....all the online stores that carry the pads are OUT OF THE SOAP and Lana is not telling them when they'll be restocked. Jennifer, I think you got the last 250 ml bottle of Lanacare that exists!

Oh no!!!!

Have you tried here???? They don't say they're out of stock, but I guess they could be and maybe haven't updated their site. Hope you can find some, because it is really nice soap, and is really effective at quickly cleaning the pads, and mine are SOAKED once I wash them. I'm amazed at how quickly they clean up -- one or two swishes.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thanks, Jennifer for that link....just the other day I gave up trying to find the pads AND the soap from the same place, as I've found a couple places that carry the soap for other purposes.

Another question.....are you happy with your "regular" pads? Or do you think you could've used the Ekstra?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 12 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:

Another question.....are you happy with your "regular" pads? Or do you think you could've used the Ekstra?

I'm happy I bought the regular. I do have to wash every 3 or 4 days right now, but anything bulkier and I'd be REALLY self conscious of my size. I'm big enough already...add the nursing pad to the bra and . I will say that I am considering the teardrop shaped pad. When I started having a few problems with plugged ducts a week ago, it was instant comfort when the pads covered the affected area. I wore 2 pads on one side, one for leakage, and the other to cover the sore part of my upper breast.

Specifically, about the Ekstra Suzanne -- I am a big leaker, with an overproductive supply. The original handles it fine. I don't feel wet, the wool wicks it away nicely.

I sure hope you can find the soap and the pads before your little one comes!!

BlessedbyGod
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote BlessedbyGod

I got the Lily Padz with baby number 7. I was skeptical but ended up loving them and even managed to not lose them, LOL. I highly recommend them. And I usually leak, ALOT, but didn't this last time. They really held up well and I even accidentally washed them in the washing machine a couple of times.
Back to Top View BlessedbyGod's Profile Search for other posts by BlessedbyGod

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Just adding my product review too....

I LOVED these things! They are definitely worth the money and I can't IMAGINE wearing the regular cotton or disposable ones now that I've had these. They are a GREAT gift for a pregnant lady!! Several of my friends have given them as gifts to someone and everyone loves them.

This is the first time I have never had a clogged duct.....and I think the warm wool def. has something to do with it.

That crazy bottle of Eucalan is completely unnecessary.....I didnt' even use 1/4 of it. I wish they had a mini-bottle.

I had one pair of Ekstra and one of the soft-line. I liked both, but the Ekstra were the ones I reached for the most. They are quite a bit heavier, so if you don't want the bulk, the regular or Softline would be a better option.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version