Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Having "Literature Evenings" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 16 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Inspired by Donna's Eerie Evening With Poe. (Thank you, Donna!), our family has decided to have our own literature evenings during the year.

The plan:

1. Draw the name of an author, or pick a theme.

2. I collect all resources from my shelves and the library, including interlibrary loan.

3. I go through each resource, deciding which ones to use, and what part of them to use. I make a file on the computer. There will always be too much. This is good. Once folks enjoy an author, they always like to come back to more. Take what seems best each time.

4. Once the evening is planned, only then it may be scheduled. This is in order to keep me from trying to put it together at the last minute. I must have two ready to go at all times.

5. Email an invitation to all interested parties. See sample in next post. I invited adults and children aged 10 and up.

6. We planned 3 hours, but spent about 4 hours..we could not get enough...including a break in the middle for coffee cake and juice. Will keep it simple, always a simple dessert.

7. Display books in basket. Have candles lit, light a bit dimmed. Set the mood.

8. I did most of the read aloud, but others may read as they feel led.

9. Try to have something to break up the monotony of just straight reading: for Christmas, I used Christmas Mad-libs. The kids want to use the other Mad-libs for other authors....for CS Lewis I have a game planned, using two books about the Narnian Chronicles called: guess the character and a short play he wrote when he was young, for the kids to perform. Variety helps.

10. Using highlighter, mark all that was done on the plan. Date in the actual computer file. Save for future reference.

I originally thought I would let others bring what they want from the author.......but it seems easier to plan for the evening. Not sure how this will pan out.

If anyone does this, I would love feedback.......who knows, it may turn into a book someday.

So far, I have completed Christmas Through Literature and have CS Lewis ready to go, and have all of the Poe resources picked out. Now, I just need one more author, and I will be ready to go!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2008 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

The invitation:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Friends,

The Bryans of Our Hearts' Haven would like to invite you to an old-fashioned get-together. We would like to celebrate Christmas Through Literature.

Please join us on December 28th, 2007, from 6:30-9:30pm, for an evening of literature with a Christmas theme. Come hear or read aloud your favorite stories, and enjoy new ones, too. Look forward to The Little Match Girl, The Gift of the Magi, The Other Wise Man, and authors such as JRR Tolkien, Hans Christian Anderson & Truman Capote. We have stories, poetry, and tea & cake. :)

Enjoy an evening like folks used to do. The evening will be held at our home: Our Hearts Haven. Please call ***-**** for directions, if you need them, or for more information.

Please feel free to listen only, or take a turn at reading aloud. If you would like to read aloud, and/or have a favorite story to choose, let us know so we can put it on the literature list. Feel free to bring something quiet to do during the reading: knitting, crocheting, mending, drawing.....

Please email me as soon as you know, yea or nay, so we can know our numbers. Folks deciding to come last minute will be welcomed. :)....though let us know, if you can, that you need to decide last minute. Please email your response, if you can. If you can only come for part of the time, please still come.

Due to the nature of the evening, we would like to keep this for ages 10 years to 100 years. Eight or nine year olds who can be quiet and still and really want to come, will be considered. Give us a call.

We hope to make this the first of several literature evenings in the new year, focusing either on a specific author, or theme.

In the meantime,

Christmas Blessings to you and yours this season as we celebrate the birth of Our Savior.

the Bryans

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

Chari,

I LOVE this idea! I have actually been creating an idea for an evening of having friends over to read a play together. I would choose the play, pick up scripts from the library (or used book store, if necessary) and have everyone draw a role from the hat (by gender, of course). But I also like this idea of literature...keep giving us details. I am especially interested in details from your "how it actually went" notes.

Thanks!

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

Aw, Chari, why are California and Kansas so far apart? This sounds so very fun, and would even be more fun with all the Bryans. We'll be there in spirit at the next one!

The great thing about the internet is meeting wonderful people you would otherwise not meet. Then if you have the blessing to meet them, it seems harder when you won't see them again. Sigh.....

Off to help children fight the flu,
Mary Alice
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I wish I could think of a way to do this that involves our whole family. Most of our friends have little ones as well. I guess until I have a plan it will have to wait until we no longer have littles.

I adore this idea, and love hearing how it all pans out.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Chari,
What a wonderful idea. It will be fun to hear how they all go as you proceed with this creative literary idea.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I am bumping this up, as it goes with the literature evening questions Paula asked about recently.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version