Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Ignatian education Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

ALmom wrote:

If the purpose of memory work is just to develop memory, then whatever makes it palatable and in short chunks seems to me to be a perfectly legitimate substitution. It doesn't much matter, then, what you memorize. It could be useful information, phone #, poetry, etc.

This is my understanding when Laura Berquist writes "method over content." And of course she also writes that going past 5 minutes actually impedes the process.

ALmom wrote:

If the purpose of the memory work is to develop details of events in order to have something from which to draw when analyzing an event then by all means ditch the lists and actively engage in lapbooking, real experiences - whatever makes the events come alive and stick for that child. I, personally, don't like giving my children lists of names and dates and events to memorize - we read biographies, make timelines, talk about sequence etc. until there are some important names, dates and events that stick as a framework for later analysis.

I think this is true too! We have memorized some history dates - the biggies, WWI & II, etc. - & it's amazing how much we've drawn upon them.

ALmom wrote:
My children will not have the entire Baltimore Catechism memorized before they leave our hs (and neither will I) but we know it's value and can continue to plug away in chunks that are doable and one day we will see face to face. I see this as a process. Someone said prayer - I think this is what will let us know what is the correct amount of memory work here for our family and for each child in it. I look at learning the Latin prayers in the same way - a little at a time. Enough to challenge but not frustrate.

One thought that comes into my head quite often these days, although it sounds so silly is "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" That describes to me so much of our homeschooling, particularly memorization. In the initial stages of homeschooling, it is very daunting to look at the material available & what one hopes to accomplish. I believe the discipline of memorization has helped keep me remain calm in the face of all the "stuff". For instance, last year my eldest (very auditory) memorized Longfellow's "Paul Revere's Ride". Our entire family (grandparents included) rejoiced in his accomplishment! Due in part to the success of his older brother, our 2nd son would like to memorize the same poem this year. He knows that he can do it, "1 bite at a time."

Janet, I couldn't agree with you more on "enough to challenge but not to frustrate." Another one of those balances in life...

I thought I should also mention that the way we memorize the latin prayers is to actually pray the rosary in latin.

Janet, you also mentioned that the children should not be made to memorize the endless lists. I also agree wholeheartedly. We were signed up for 1-year with classical school and had a lovely woman as our consultant. The problem I ran into was that there was a certain insistance that my dc should memorize all that was in the syllabus, including the distances of rivers, which I found totally unnecessary. Just that one little area really made me thinking deeply about what is the purpose of memorization.

ALmom wrote:
I was also pondering about the questions on writing as that too relates to my question "which things in the lesson plans do I modify or ditch?"

I very much did this - we are down to the bare minimum, i.e. what is absolutely necessary, and even then we're flexible. That's also a place where discernment (which I'm understanding the Ignatian philosophy to be) comes in. For instance, we use a grammar workbook. Some moms may consider that "busywork" but in our case, my sons are using it more to learn to understand and follow directions.

Also, I found it was more important to figure out our daily schedule, known as "reality", and see what we can "realistically" accomplish. There is no doubt that we do school all day but my 2 eldest (5th & 6th grade) sit down to lessons for 1 1/2 hours in the morning 3-4 days/week.

ALmom wrote:
I am beginning to think that doing one paper very, very well for the last purpose is better than missing the point and cranking out too many papers with insufficient proof, etc. I think this is what Ignatius had in mind - doing all to the very best teaches thinking and character at the same time.
Janet

This, for me, is where CM came in - the idea of doing things well. That helped me pare down tremendously and realize quality over quantity is essential. Unfortunately we've been very effected in this area by our secular culture. The big push is to know a little about alot of things.

Thanks Janet, Richelle & Willa for all your efforts! It's been a pleasure to read everyone's thoughts!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

ALmom wrote:

Still, I am neither an inspired teacher (I hardly have energy to even pursue what I like though I do read) and I certainly don't have expertise in very many subject areas.

Oh my! I am the LEAST qualified of the bunch!! All I know is that God wills this for our family & has taken us down this path, so He must have a plan! I am so enjoying learning with my children and it is awesome to see them flying so far ahead of me.

ALmom wrote:
Right now my goal is finding a comfortable set of requireds to make sure we do cover some sort of basics and that we have plenty of rest, prayer, relaxation and time to ponder and be with one another.

Sounds heavenly...

ALmom wrote:
That being said, I have come to try to accept that I have no background whatsoever in ancient languages, have difficulty reading epics or any kind of poetry and flounder in a lot of areas. I am not an ideal teacher according to the Ignatian philosophy except in the area of really loving the children. Janet

Sounds like you are the most qualified teacher - for your children...

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Boy, was it encouraging to learn that re-writing lesson plans every year was required by Ignatius. That is one thing we end up doing all the time and I tend to focus on all that didn't work instead of what did. Thanks, yall for all the encouragement.

My biggest problem is knowing or reading enough to discuss. We keep coming up with questions that no one can answer - at least not in our house. Does anyone know why plants have cell walls and not animals? Does it have to do with rigid shape? or motion? Where do we find answers to these kinds of questions?

Thanks, Willa, for your reminder of the overview coupled with the more in-depth study. I think that hit on where our gap/ difficulty lies. We need the overview and Kolbe does a lot of detail in high school. I'm thinking that my children need the overview first, with opportunities to pursue an area of particular interest. I'm re-thinking 13 yo history and pulling those timelines back out again. Does anyone know a good overview of the Federalist/anti-Federalist arguements? Reading the Documentary History without the overview is very tedious for our high schooler?

Dc are ready for discussion, so gotta go. Thanks!!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version