Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Alphabet Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

It's so funny that this thread was resurrected by Marybeth today, as I was looking at ABC books today at the book store, and saw one that was simply brilliant...

The Skull Alphabet Book

And another that was almost as good...

The Extinct Alphabet Book

Both are by Jerry Pollotta, author of several dozen alphabet and math books.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

How fun!!! I am heading to the bookstore tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up, MacBeth.

Mb
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Someone said Jerry Pallotta books, someone said Allison's Zinnias and On Market Street...these are a few of our favorites, but we also like:

A Sailor's Alphabet Michael McCurdy (this would dovetail nicely with the Swallows and Amazons month, wouldn't it?)

Alphabet City by Stephen Johnson

Toot and Puddle's ABCs by Holly Hobbie

I *love* Applebet by Clyde and Wendy Watson for its warm colors

Angel's Alphabet by Hilda Van Stockum which, sadly, looks like it is out of print.

It's 12:40 a.m. here, or I'd go digging through my ABC shelves to look for more great books!

BTW MacBeth, I don't think a family *ever* grows out of picture books, especially ABC books. But I might be just slightly partial because *I've* never grown out of picture books.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2005 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We're using Capital! Washington, DC from A-Z by Laura Krauss Melmed as our social studies book this year. The plan was to field trip to each of the places, take pictures and make a scrap book. Didn't realize until we moved here that so many places don't have tours anymore!

This week we found another good one: Alpha Bravo Charlie: the Military Alphabet by Chris Demarest which teaches radio code words and flags. My favortie was "E Echo Elite para-rescue forces egress from a C-130 Hercules."

Also, FIL gave us the hidden alphabet by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. It's an arty lift the flap, and it's my Cecilia's favorite.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

My nephew had us hooked on Audrey Wood alphabet books.
Alphabet Mystery
Alphabet Adventure

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2005 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Elizabeth wrote:
Our foray into sign language has yielded a new favorite alphabet book. There are beautiful drawings of hands signing each of the 26 letters, with alphabetic pictures intertwined. For instance, the sign for "a" is a fist; grasped in the fist are some stalks of asparagus. The color drawings are lovely. My eldest is the artist in our family and this is a book he brought home from the library when instructed to "find something good on sign language." He was captivated because in his opinion "hands are really hard to do." I ordered the book for him (he's 16) because I know he'll spend hours with his pencils, copying those hands. His little siblings like the book too . You can see it   here:

A Handmade Alphabet

Thanks, Elizabeth. It's a hit. My 5 year old dd jumped up and down when she opened it on Christmas (she had never seen it before, but she is a huge fan of sign language!)

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2006 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

just in time for St. Patrick's Day...

St. Patrick's Day Alphabet by Beverly Barras Vidrine

This a great one! I just found it at Amazon and love how it teaches about St. Patrick, Ireland, Irish culture and history in a format as simple as an alphabet!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Kristine ~ I got this book today, and it *is* really lovely. I noticed the same author also has an Easter Alphabet Book (maybe next month ) ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 3:23am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I forgot a quintessential alphabet book that we actually used today in our devotional time. We'd been reading aloud stories about trees and character and how the redwoods' roots intertwine to make them strong, sturdy trees even though the roots are shallow (and thus how a family's roots should also intertwine and we should support and uphold each other). So, besides The Tale of Three Trees, by Angela Elwell Hunt (which is *not* an alphabet book) I remembered in the wee hours last night that I wanted to pull a book off our shelves called A B Cedar by George Ella Lyon. This book is like a very, very first field guide to trees. It's a large picture book with the trees in silhouette form shown small, but shown in reference to a tiny person to enable the reader to better estimate the tree's true size. What's absolutely splashed over the page are the leaves and nuts, fruits, and seeds by which the children can identify the trees. I still read it to my almost 12-year-old who clamored to see the pictures as well as the littler kids, if that's any recommendation.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The one my little guy checks out of the library EVERY time we bring it back is The Racecar Alphabet by Brian Floca. It is great for your little race car fans!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Our all-time favorite ABC book is Mousekin's ABC's by Edna Miller. It has wonderful drawings of the sweetest little mouse as she discovers different things in the woods (A-Z, of course). If you have a child that likes nature and sweet little furry critters, he/she will fall in love with Mousekins. Best thing is there is a whole series of mousekins books. My 16yo dd checked out and read every one the library had when she was little, and now my 4 yo is doing the same!
It is available used from amazon here

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Reviving an old thread, as I found a few more ABC books.

First, I finally got A Handmade Alphabet and I'm just thrilled with it.

Two others we have is A is for Altar, B is for Bible (another suggestion by Elizabeth) and Baby Einstein ABC with Art...those we love.

On Market Street pictures by Anita Lobel, words by Arnold Lobel is just fabulous pictures. My only criticism: X is for Xmas Trees!

And who says you outgrow these books? I found Hieroglyphs from A to Z: A Rhyming Book with Ancient Egyptian Stencils for Kids by Peter Der Manuelian. This can be for so many ages. The rhyme and pictures are pleasing for littles, but the challenge of actually making the hieroglyphics with the stencils can be used by older children.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

ABC USA
by Martin Jarrie is a neat alphabet book with "whimsical folk art" type iilustrations. The pictures are really quite beautiful and cover many traditional places or symbols of the U.S. On exception is the Hollywood page which features several women with LOTS of cleavage!! Now why did the illustrator have to go and do that!?!?

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2006 at 2:06am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

One we found during our Independence Day study...

Yankee Doodle America - enjoyable alphabet book on the American Revolution is newly published and what a treat. The illustrations are beautiful - each of the illustrations looks like the hand crafted and painted signs that hung from posts outside public houses of that era. I really like Wendell Minor's illustrations - am finding several of his books. There is a time-line of important dates in the back.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2006 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I'm glad you resurrected this thread Mary, I had forgotten about it - and I wanted to recommend a book we just unearthed from our shelves (it was a gift that got burried before we had a chance to fall in love, lol): A is for Annabelle: A Doll's Alphabet by Tasha Tudor.

My girls love their dolls, so this book was a big hit. It has Tasha Tudor's old fashioned style, with pages such as "L is for the locket she wears on a chain" and "V is for the veil she wears with her bonnet."

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Time to add a new book:

B is For Bookworm: A Library Alphabet by Prieto

I also have waiting for me at the library:

G is for Golden, about California

more:

A is for America

D is for Democracy

P is for Pilgrim

P is for Passport

G is for Galaxy

M is for Melody

W is for Wind

and

T is for Teachers

......all of these are listed on the back of the first book above........different authors

ABC blessings,

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Elizabeth wrote:
Our foray into sign language has yielded a new favorite alphabet book. There are beautiful drawings of hands signing each of the 26 letters, with alphabetic pictures intertwined.

A few years back I got a sign Alphabet book called Handsigns-- my younger kids really like it.   Nice pictures of various exotic animals in abc order.

The Jerry Palloto ones that MacBeth mentioned are also longtime favorites.

Off topic to alphabet books per se, but did you see that Jan Brett has Manual Sign Alphabet pages on her site now? I thought this was neat.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 02 2007 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Chari wrote:
Time to add a new book:

B is For Bookworm: A Library Alphabet by Prieto

I also have waiting for me at the library:

G is for Golden, about California

more:

This series from Sleeping Bear Press has many, many books. Very informative. They also have teachers guides on pdf online for each of the books.
Teacher's Guides

EDITED: to correct link

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

This is a wonderful thread. Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been looking around for alphabet books lately. I have a 5 year old who loves the military and a 3 year old who loves cowboys, so I've just put 2 more books on my Amazon wishlist (Alpha Bravo Charlie and the Cowboy Alphabet)! I just bought a TON of books at a library book sale, though, so I think these will have to wait til Christmas!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2007 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I love this thread, too, Jane......I am like MacBeth....I will always want to have beautiful alphabet books around me!

Here are more listed on the back of the G is for Golden:

A is for America: An American Alphabet

A is for Algonquin: An Ontario Alphabet

C is for Chinook: An Alberta Alphabet

D is for Dancing Dragon: A China Alphabet

D is for Drum: A Native American Alphabet

H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet

I is for Idea: An Inventions Alphabet

M is for Maple: A Canadian Alphabet

M is for Masterpiece: An Art Alphabet

M is for Meow: A Cat Alphabet

P is for Puffin: A Newfoundland and Labrador Alphabet

R is for Rhyme: A Poetry Alphabet

S is for Shamrock: A Ireland Alphabet

S is for S'mores: A Camping Alphabet

S is for Spirit Bear: A British Columbia Alphabet

Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet

Z is for Zookeeper: A Zoo alphabet

Actually....I just went ahead and got all of these off the website....thanks, Mary!!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version