Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: WWI books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Does anyone have any recommendations for good elementary-aged books set in WWI? We've read The Silver Donkey and Hero Over Here, and I have a few books on order from Amazon: Where Poppies Grow is one of them.

I have several kids interested in the era, including my 4.5 yo. My 11 yo needs independent reads, but it would be nice to have a couple of others I could read aloud. (ages of kids: 4.5, 8.5, and 11)

Thanks!

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This thread included living literature for WWI.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Angela, they're hard to find (you can order used copies from Amazon), but my 10yo son has been addicted to the Biggles books by Captain W.E. Johns, who was a WWI British pilot and cranked out this seemingly neverending series about the adventures of one James Bigglesworth, who joins the RFC at 17, having fudged about his age, and goes on, after the war, to be a kind of hero-pilot-for-hire . . .

Not all the books are all that good, but the ones set in WWI are very worth reading: Biggles Learns to Fly, Biggles Flies East, Biggles in France, Biggles of 266 Squadron, etc. They are stories about air combat, with lots of details about planes and fighting maneuvers, and also lots of cameraderie between Biggles and his squadron mates. Biggles also embodies a kind of "playing-fields-of-Eton" honor that makes him worth reading about.

These really aren't high literature -- Johns pumped them out at a terrific rate, and sometimes that shows -- but they are fun, accurate, exciting, and full of a kind of heroism that I think it's good for boys to be exposed to.

My son actually got into these books at age 4, when we got Biggles Learns to Fly as an audiobook at the library. I had no idea what it was about -- I assumed it was some kind of talking animal story. He listened, and listened, and listened to the book, and was hooked for life. We did have to explain to him that we don't really call German people, like his sister's godfather, "Huns," but other than that, I can't think of anything objectionable.

Maybe you can borrow a couple while you're in Memphis and see if you like them.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Re reading level -- these would be good independent reads for an 11yo, but they're also fun family read-alouds. All my kids like listening to them and being on the edge of their seats.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Usborne has this collection of stories. We bought the WWII one, I think, but I haven't read it since I bought ahead a bit when I had a lot of free books from hosting a party.

They also have a WWI history book, which, while not exactly living literature, is certainly a more appealing format than a regular textbook, imo.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version