Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Help with the Real Learning booklist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

How exactly do you use the booklist in the back of the book? I have gone over it at least a dozen times, and I really love the idea of it, but I have no idea how to turn it into a curriculum.

I've been using Five in a Row with my twins this year and we're really enjoying it, but without the ideas in the guide and the ideas over at Homeschool Share, I would be lost.   So, when I look at the booklist, I get inspired, but totally overwhelmed with the idea of creating a curriculum with the books myself.

Do you just read the books and have the children narrate? Or do you read them yourself ahead and plan activities? Do you use them for copywork/dictation? Make lapbooks?   

Thanks!

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote happymama

I have used the booklist for suggestions on which books to read - i think that's the main intent of it. Before we head to the library, I check their on-line catalog to see if they have any of the books listed for that month. They have a surprising number of them, even the "Catholic" ones.

As for extensions, I think you just take it book-by-book, to see how your children respond to it, what their questions and interests are. There are many threads in this forum which contain ideas for specific books.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Emily,

I have twins and the Five In A Row book (First one). So, I guess we have something in common. I was wondering what Homeschool Share is so that maybe I could USE the Five In A Row sitting on my shelf. What have you found that works for this book? ( My twins are only 2, so I have time to plan.        

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

Eight Wonders wrote:
Emily,

I have twins and the Five In A Row book (First one). So, I guess we have something in common. I was wondering what Homeschool Share is so that maybe I could USE the Five In A Row sitting on my shelf. What have you found that works for this book? ( My twins are only 2, so I have time to plan.        

At Homeschool Share they have lots of lapbook templates that go with the FIAR books.   I love doing lapbooks with my twins, but I have no idea how to make all those little books unless someone does it for me.    They also have lots of other books with different ideas of what to do with them.   I discovered this site last summer, and we've used it extensively since then.

Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

I am going to revamp the menu bar a teeny tiny bit, but you may find this link useful--

Lapbooks at Homeschool Share

If you look under Based on the FIAR Curriculum, you will see the lapbooks HSS offers for FIAR.

Kim,
Have you seen Before Five in a Row? It is fun with 3-4 year olds!   

Emily,
I would just read the books and see if something sparks an interest. You can easily form a little rabbit trail with a few links (Enchanted Learning), a few more library books, and an inspired student.

Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Last year, when I was wandering around trying to find the right way to hs my kids, I had planned on combining the Real Learning booklist with Ambleside book suggestion and use them FIAR style. I had made some plans for The Little Princess. We were going to study India during the reading of that book. I had made some plans with some other of the books as well. I find, though, that I am really good at planning but not so good at carrying them out.    We never got to it.

I think it is a great idea. I would love to do it. For some reason I just can't make it into a reality.

If you needed some ideas for the books, you could post on the rabbit trail forum. I am sure you would get some ideas there. I would help brainstorm with you.

Julia
mom of 3 (8,7,5)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2008 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

JuliaT wrote:
I find, though, that I am really good at planning but not so good at carrying them out.    We never got to it.

Julia - thats me. Life and other interests interfere with our plans.

One term, we used some of the books from the Real Learning booklist with the writng and drawing ideas for notebooks from the book The Well Trained Mind. We've done that with the Sonlight books, too - used TWTM how to sugestions with another booklist.

Never managed to do this for more than a term, though ( about ten weeks max)....

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Emily,
I read them outloud to my boys (including twins) and sometimes we talk about them. This list has been a big hit here, even the "girly" ones like the Anne Pellowski books. My older kids didn't start to "get" history until about 9th grade so I wouldn't worry too much about it now if I were you . Give them lots to think about and the formal study can wait a few years.
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

Thanks! I did put together a study for The Hobbit, which dd is thoroughly enjoying, but I could see myself burning out quickly if I tried to turn every book into a study.

I knew I could just read the books, and that in itself would probably be enough--but I've still got such a schooly mind-set, that it makes me nervous to do that.   I think I need to get over it though--I so love the idea of a literature rich education, and snuggling up on the couch with lots of great books.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version