Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: candlemas and groundhogs day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

I have been reading all about Candlemas and am excited to celebrate it this year. Thanks to all of you, I have many ideas.

I noticed this is the same day as Groundhogs Day and (please don't laugh at me) I am wondering if any of you acknowledge this event? Even though it is sort of silly, I was still planning on reading "Gregory's Shadow" for fun with the kids.

If you do celebrate both, how do you do them on the same day? Is there a way to tie them together at all?

Or should I maybe forget about the silly groundhog and focus only on Candlemas?

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

LOL, 2/2 is ds's birthday...we don't worry about groundhogs here! (He'll be 16, wow.)

I think it's lovely to focus on Candlemas (or birthday candles), and somehow my dc haven't gotten into the groundhog thing. Perhaps it's because Feb. 2 is always gloomy where we've lived, so it's pretty obvious that winter has several looooonnnng weeks to go.

Still, Heidi, there's nothing wrong with reading a good book with your children...what better way to celebrate any day than with great books?! (Especially if your dh happens to be far away and you just feel like snuggling on the sofa with your children...)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Heidi, this is not a silly connection at all. These two events are not as disconnected as you might think.

Europeans have traditional belief about how Candlemas weather predicts the length of winter.

German immigrants to the United States brought their Candlemas traditions with them when they settled in Pennsylvania. The earliest known American reference to Groundhog Day can be found at the Historical Society of Berks County in Reading, Pennsylvania. The reference was made Feb. 4, 1841 in Morgantown, Berks County, Pennsylvania storekeeper James Morris' diary: "Last Tuesday, the 2nd, was Candlemas day, the day on which, according to the Germans, the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six weeks nap, but if the day be cloudy he remains out, as the weather is to be moderate." (from Wikipedia)

This is a Scottish poem about Candlemas Day (definitely can see where the idea of foretelling the future of winter, i.e. groundhog day has origins).

As the light grows longer
The cold grows stronger
If Candlemas be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
If Candlemas be cloud and snow
Winter will be gone and not come again
A farmer should on Candlemas day
Have half his corn and half his hay
On Candlemas day if thorns hang a drop
You can be sure of a good pea crop

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Mary, that is fascinating!

As far as groundhogs day goes, we are studying North American mammals right now, so the groundhog will be our animal to study that day.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I generally like Gail Gibbons' books on animals and have been meaning to check this one out (just published last year).

Groundhog Day!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

NavyMom wrote:
If you do celebrate both, how do you do them on the same day? Is there a way to tie them together at all?

Or should I maybe forget about the silly groundhog and focus only on Candlemas?

Oh, Heidi, I think the groundhog thing is fun! We always watch the morning news on 2/2 to see Phil's prediction.

Here's how we combined the two ideas last year: Happy Candlemas!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Wow! I had no idea these days were related! I am intrigued to learn even more.   I love our Catholic faith. The more I learn about it, I am just amazed!

Thanks for sharing ladies.

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Heidi, you might enjoy reading through the Loveliness Fair for Candlemas held last year by Suzanne at Blessed Among Men.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Jennifer-
I saw that, but plan to go back and read more! There is a lot of good stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Today at the library on display - The Groundhog Day Book of Facts and Fun - so we checked it out.

Cute book - info on Punxsutawney Phil, how seasons change, general groundhog info, hibernation, history of groundhog day

Their history is generally okay and it mentions the link to Candlemas but explains the origin of Candlemas as coming from St. Brigid not the Presentation. Anyway, still it is okay.

What is really cool is the last chapter which is activites. There are several shadow games listed, a craft that is a pop-up groundhog (pom-pom/googly eyed groundhog in a paper cup with a craft stick attached to push it out), and food ideas (oh, plus goofy groundhog riddles like "What's a groundhog's favorite food?" - Burrow-itos.)

Older thread: Candlemas

Our Domestic Church

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

Happy Candlemas!

Our priest said today that Groundhog Day has its origins in Candlemas' tradition of the procession that begins outdoors in the dark of morning. All the lit candles confuse the little critters into thinking it's daylight. I laughed as my daughter leaned over and said, "It's Groundhog Day?"

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping this and adding this Listmania list about books for Groundhog Day:

Groundhog Day Stories for Children

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Why is it that I have never heard of Candlemas until a friend who goes to a Traditional parish sent me a Traditional Calendar? Is it still an official feast day? Any help is appreciated...sorry for jumping in late...
Back to Top View Maggie's Profile Search for other posts by Maggie

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

You likely hadn't heard of it because on the current litugical calendar it is referred to as the Feast of the Presentation. Candlemas is an alternate name that is sometimes used but isn't as common anymore. It can be used interchangeably, though the Feast of the Presentation more specifically describes what is being commemorated that day.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...

Happy Candlemas, Happy Groundhog Day

I thought this was a super cute treat idea...

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another cute treat for groundhog day this year.

She Knows food & recipe blog

And linking to our Groundhog Day picture books thread.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version