Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Ground Beef recipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Anne wrote:

Cay let me know how your family likes this.

Anne, they loved it!!!

Thank you.   

What was left was easily sliced and taken to work for my two working men. It's a very convenient dish.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Anne

Cay Gibson wrote:

Anne, they loved it!!!

Thank you.   

What was left was easily sliced and taken to work for my two working men. It's a very convenient dish.

Cay,
I am so glad you enjoyed the beef roll. I have never been posted on a blog before.
What a thrill!

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Texas Veggie Soup

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. onion, chopped
3/4 c. celery, chopped
5 c. water
1 (28oz) can tomatoes, diced
1 c. cut corn
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
6 beef bouillon cubes
2 tsp. salt
1.5 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Brown beef, onions, and celery. Add remaining ingredients. bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 10-15 minutes, until carrots are tender.

** You can substitute 6 c. beef stock for bouillon and water.

It's delish with a green salad and home-baked bread!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

nissag wrote:
Texas Veggie Soup

Oh yum! I love this kind of soup! Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

I just managed to waste a pound of beef last night for dinner. I overdefrosted it in the microwave. Yuck! Fortunately I had leftovers as a standby. But my carelessness causing waste makes me feel so guilty!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Anne - I am going to make the beef roll tomorrow - sounds so yummy and easy for busy Saturdays.

I was thinking that making individual rolls would be good for picnics and days out.

Cay - the pictures on your blog were so yummy.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2008 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

More Ground Beef Soups and Yummy Rolls to Go Along

Beef Vegetable Barley:
Brown Ground Beef with lots of sliced onion, sliced celery, and shredded carrot (as much as 1 cup each)
Add Minced Garlic (up to 2 T)
Add large can each of Canned Crushed Tomatoes and Canned Petite Diced Tomatoes
Add Corn
Stir in spices (we use 1 T basil with 1/4 cup sugar added, 2 teas. garlic powder, and 1 T garlic pepper blend)
Bring to gentle boil, Add 1 cup +/- quick barley, cook on med to low heat until barley is fully cooked, then simmer an additional hour for flavors to blend.

Melting Pot Chili:
Brown Ground Beef with 1 cup diced onion and 1/2 cup chopped red or green peppers
Add 3-4 large cans Canned Crushed and Diced Tomatoes
Drain and Add 2 cans each of Kidney, Black, Garbanzo and Red Beans. You can use pretty much use any bean. White Cannellini Beans are another favorite. Dried beans are fine, just make sure the beans are fully tender before adding tomato or sugar.
Add 2 T chili powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 or 1 cup diced mild banana peppers (from a jar)
1/2 cup juice from banana peppers
Simmer for one hour or more for flavors to blend.

All amounts are approx. I never measure ingredients and tend to cook larger batches for freezing or leftovers. I usually use small amounts of a leaner ground beef ...about 1/2 lb. per recipe. Both of these soups are family favorites.

You can make yummy rolled dinner rolls with fillings to go with either of these soups...use your favorite bread dough recipe, add favorite spices, minced garlic and/or minced onion, and even Parmesan cheese to the dough. and let rise twice. After second rise roll dough into very large rectangle approx. 1/2 in. thick. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and your choice of chopped ingred. according to your taste, such as bacon bits, olives, more minced garlic, and additional spices. Roll the rectangle up along the long side, like you would for cinnamon rolls, cut into 1 in. slices. Place each slice, cut side down approx. 1 in. apart in a large greased baking pan, as you cut them. Let rise an additional half hour or more, until the rolls are almost doubled in size. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes until deep golden brown. Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle additional seasoning and/or Parmesan on top. We've made this recipe with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, diced roasted red pepper, and a garlic seasoning blend; mexican cheese blend, chopped mild banana peppers and a Cayenne seasoning blend; just plain with mozarella cheese; and with oodles of fillings, like we would use on top of pizza. It's actually a lot like a rolled pizza. You can use pizza sauce in the filling but it tends to make the dough stay more wet and my family prefers them without...we just dip them in sauce instead. The combinations are endless. You could also add cooked ground beef or ham in the filling. These freeze very well and make a great take-along meal or snack for on the road, since they're delicious hot or cold. They're especially good with soups!

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what spices you might add to that beef roll if you don't have green peppers to put in. I'm making it right now and added a bit of salsa, but I know it's not going taste like how it's intended, and I'm not confident in my cooking skills enough to add other things yet....

Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

We like this recipe:

Easy Beef Stroganoff

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup beef broth
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
1/4 tsp garlic pwd.
1/2 yogurt (or sour cream)

Brown gr. beef with onion in skillet; drain. Add ketchup, broth and seasonings. Simmer until done to taste. Stir in yogurt just before serving. Serve over noodles.

Cabbage Rolls

1 lb lean gr. beef. Cut in a small to med. sized onion. Add 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. curry powder (optional) and some pepper. Cook 1 cup of rice. Mix all together.

Cabbage leaves: (You may need 2 heads) Cut out core. Put about 3 cups water and 1 Tbsp vinegar in a large pot. Set cabbage head on a steamer, core side down. Steam until outer leaves are loose. Remove cabbage and peel off loose leaves. put remaining head back for more steaming until head is all steamed. Cut out thick part of stems. Put spoonful of beef mixture in each leaf and wrap tightly. Put in greased pan. (casserole/roaster).

Thin tomato soup and pour over.
Bake at 350 for approximately 2 hours.

This is a Christmas treat (and family tradition) for us.

Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Syncletica wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what spices you might add to that beef roll if you don't have green peppers to put in. I'm making it right now and added a bit of salsa, but I know it's not going taste like how it's intended, and I'm not confident in my cooking skills enough to add other things yet....

I just saw this.    I sometimes put in onions if I have no peppers. I have also tried this recipe with sausage and a bit of cream cheese. We have even put breakfast inside for a hands on breakfast!    This is one of those recipes you can take pretty far. Your only limit is soggy foods. They tend to make the dough very ...well... soggy.

How did yours turn out? A mexican beef roll sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could use part corn meal in your dough. Hummm... my wheels are spinning

Blessings,

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Anne wrote:
   We have even put breakfast inside for a hands on breakfast!

By breakfast I mean eggs, a breakfast meat, and cheese.

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Thanks, Anne! Well, there's my pathetic brain for you. I didn't mention that I chopped up a half an onion and 3 cloves of garlic. There was probably only about a 1/4 - 1/3 cup of salsa. I'm sure it would've tasted better if someone else had made it. (I always think other people's cooking tastes much better than mine. ) But, my 5 year old asked for another piece and took the huge end piece, and ate it all! My seven year old had another one as well, and everyone cleaned theirs up just fine. Dh didn't comment, except to say he wasn't having an end piece b/c there was practically a loaf of bread there. I suppose I should have trimmed the excess off and pinched the new end together instead of folding it over the top.     Like my dh says, I always forget something when I'm cooking, and it's never the same thing twice.
I like the idea of breakfast rolls with this....thanks for the ideas!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version