Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Discovering Nature's Alphabet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Discovering Nature's Alphabet by Kristina Castella and Brian Boyl is a beautiful ABC book that is full of nature photographs that look like the letters of the alphabet.

We were fortunate enough to see an exhibit of the photographs last year at a local children's museum, and the boys thought it was pretty neat.   It jumpstarted them looking for letters in all sorts of things, which was fun. It would be fun to make your own ABC book based on finding letters in nature -- I admit we didn't go that far, but it's still something we could do!

Since the letters aren't always clear-cut, it is a book for kids who are already familiar with their letters. It was great for helping my almost 5 year old (at the time) to cement the different letters and formations as he started learning to read.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Excellent choice. I'll second the recommendation for this book. We found it this summer and I recommended it in the Alphabet Books thread.

mellyrose wrote:
We were fortunate enough to see an exhibit of the photographs last year at a local children's museum, and the boys thought it was pretty neat.   It jumpstarted them looking for letters in all sorts of things, which was fun.

I love the dedication written in the book. It's telling of the tone of the book. One dediction is to the author's mother, "who taught him how to see things differently." We have been talking, at our house recently, about the habit of observation - really looking at what is around us. When we really look we often see amazing things.

mellyrose wrote:
It would be fun to make your own ABC book based on finding letters in nature -- I admit we didn't go that far, but it's still something we could do!

We are currently attempting to do this, or should I say we enthusiastically started to do this in the summer, then got distracted. I've tried to pick it up again this winter but am finding it harder to "find" the letters. Spring and a little more life outside will probably help us. We only need K, N, Q, W, Z.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Neat book and idea for alphabet fun. Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version