Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: AP with closely Spaced Children Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Dr. Sears doesn't think older siblings should sleep with babies under nine months, nor that babies should sleep in between their parents. I realize some people may have heard that advice and discerned otherwise for their situation, just passing it on for consideration of anyone who hasn't because I know when I first read it it hadn't occurred to me. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

Although we're pretty APish, that's all I have to "contribute" to this thread because so far our spacing will be 29 months and 48 months between babies. And the only reason our 3-year-old still sleeps between me and the wall is that he still needs a lot of babyproofing and I haven't had the energy to finish moving him into a new room with his brother and setting it up so he'll be safe at night.

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

I think that everyone does it a little differently. When I started out getting interested with AP was with my twins who were 20 months younger than number1. I had worked with #1 and I was feeling guilty. However, we could not really implement much AP because one twin was quite ill with kidney failure for the first 15 months, he needed a feeding tube at night and the other twin came home so tiny (3 1/2 lbs...yes I did bring home a 3 1/2 lb baby) that there was no way she was going in our bed. By the time she made it to 8 lbs, she wouldn't nurse lying down. So we waited...for 3 1/2 years before the number 4 came along. Number 4 was attached and in bed with no paci. I was very proud but she wiggled so much that I had to kick her out of bed before one year. I couldn't stand sleeping with the kicking and flung out arms and neither could dh. Getting her to sleep through the night took the next 8 months but she learned just in time for number 5. I nursed her before I left for my Csection and expected that I would be tandem nursing but #4 never asked again...Thank God! Number 5 was removed from bed when I got pregnant at 15 months. She still is not sleeping through the night but at least it is only once that she gets up now. I had wanted to keep nursing her till 2 like everyone else but I am too tired and am in the process of weaning. If you had told me back at the twins that I would be actively weaning an 18 month old I would have been really mad but now I see that I am too tired to get up and homeschool or make breakfast for that matter so I need to let it go. But I would consider myself an attachment parent, although I don't tandem nurse or cosleep past oneish. I think it depends on your own endurance and how God made you. I admire families that are more attached than me, but I also realize that each family has to "become who we are."

Holly

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I didn't know what Ap was until a few years ago, and then I realized what I had done, had a name.

We brought our first baby home from the hospital, I nursed her to sleep, layed her in a borrowed bassinett and she cried. I picked her up and put her in bed with us, that was that. I remember when I was pregnant, I told my mother in law, I read the books about breastfeeding being so good for the baby, and I thought maybe I would bf for 6 months. It just seemed so intimate and foreign to me. I never knew anyone who nursed, except my mother in law. Well, that baby weaned when her baby sister was 4 months old; she was 2    Those are the only 2 I tandem nursed. The rest I initiated weaning about 4 months before the next baby came. Our children are spaced 20 months, 20 months, 27 months, 20 months, and soon to be 32 months. I wear my babies in a sling, although I am really interested in all this back-wearing talk. They sleep with us, until the next baby comes, then they move to a twin pushed up to our king, then they move to a room with their siblings around the age of 4.

I think we, moms who Ap in all its various shapes and forms, just do, whether out of necessity, conviction, natural instinct or self sacrifice for the baby/family. For me, I did not say, "I want my baby to sleep with me b/c I think our attachment/bonding will benifit." I thought, that sweet babe has been with me for 9 months, of course she doesn't want to be in a crib by herself. And, what is the sleeping situation where the most number of people in this house can get the most amount of sleep.   Conviction is why I started breastfeeding, I thought it was the best for the baby, natural instinct and necessity is why I continued. Some nights, self sacrifice is why there are 2 toddlers in our bed because it sure isn't for the comfort factor of mom and dad

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version