Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Okay, this is a classic. If there is someone who may not know about it or just forgot about it....you need to pick it up.

I'll do my best to give a decription, as my son just came over and swooped it out of my hands!

A man and his steam shovel are out of work because the gas steam shovel has taken over. Together they try to find a job and when they do, it casuses excitment in a little town.

Story and Pictures by, Virginia Lee Burton

persistance, hard-working...Will need help with this part!

Amazon link

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

ALL books by Virginia Lee Burton are keepers!!!

but...maybe I will save that for another day!   

(but..order all of her books from the library, that you can...and see!)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oooh, Jenn a great reminder of a wonderful book. Virginia Lee Burton is a master children's storyteller.

If you are studying any Virginia Lee Burton books I highly recommend reading about her life and work in this great little biography - Virginia Lee Burton: A Life in Art

In addition to your keywords, I would add the following.
Keywords: steam-power moderization technology construction canal tunnel skyscraper gasoline diesel electric

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

A much loved classic around here- just seeing the title made me smile

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I love the name of steam shovel.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Mary M,

Thank you for helping out! I never saw that book before. I'm excited to check it out. Hopefully, my library will have it!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Great book, Jenn! It has been a few years but there was a lovely book-on-tape of this that we borrowed from the library.

Here are some 4Real links.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Just thought I'd throw this book out there. It is OOP, but very sweet. It's about a 4 year old boy who calls the library "Mike's House" because his favorite book, "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" "lives" there.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

There's a mention of Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel in Ramona the Pest - on her first day of kindergarten, I think.

I love Virginia Lee Burton - don't forget the Little House or Katy and the Big Snow.

One of our FAVORITES is Calico the Wonder Horse (or the Legend of Stewy Stinker)

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

We are just getting ready for a Virgina Lee Burton study. I am very excited to check out Virginia Lee Burton: A Life in Art Virginia Lee Burton: A Life in Art

Heidi
The Flat on Cabaniss Crescent
Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Maddie wrote:
Just thought I'd throw this book out there. It is OOP, but very sweet. It's about a 4 year old boy who calls the library "Mike's House" because his favorite book, "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" "lives" there.

How cute! This could easily have been written about my husband. My mil told me she had the book checked out semi-permanently from the library when he was four.   Up to this minute he still refers to it as "MY book."

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Willa wrote:
Maddie wrote:

How cute! This could easily have been written about my husband. My mil told me she had the book checked out semi-permanently from the library when he was four.   Up to this minute he still refers to it as "MY book."

And there is a great antecdote in that Virginia Lee Burton: A Life in Art book about her own son, Mike. "Burton's son Mike recounted how he and his college roommate once began discussing favorite childhood books. Knowing his friend only as Michael Demetrios, the roommate suddenly said, 'My all-time favorite book as a child was Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.' The roommate's face flashed with total surprise when Michael announced, 'I'm Mike.'"

Isn't it just so cool that there are such loved and remembered childhood favorite books!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version