Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What fish to buy and cook? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Don't stress over fresh vs. frozen, in your basic store the fish counter has simply thawed what is in the frozen cases and displayed them with some fake parsley under glass. If you're inland at all frozen is probably the way to go. Read the little signs that state where the fish is from and it will usually also say previously frozen (unless it is super expensive).

Living on a boat and diving have really changed how we eat fish, we really prefer our own caught fish but I'll buy small fish off the docks. I simply can't bring myself to eat certain fish, usually the larger fish like groupers. They are so cool! They can grow to the size of taxi cabs and live for ages (100+yrs) and I'm going to grill it for supper??? No way! They are completely overfished and the large ones are so rare now. But see, they are one of the larger fish so if you're avoiding mercury you'll not be eating it anyhow.

Easiest fish recipe ever? Italian Dressing over the fish in foil packets on the grill or in the oven. Yum!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I've stopped buying farmed salmon except maybe once a month or every two months. And wild Alaskan salmon, fresh, is too expensive so we get those every couple of weeks. I agree, canned is the way to go if you want good affordable salmon. Two ways I prepare this:

1. Put salmon on baking sheet or dish. Drizzle with olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, and salt and pepper. Bake until heated through.

2. Put salmon on baking sheet or dish. Drizzle with olive oil -- top with thinly sliced carrots, thinly sliced sweet gherkins, 1 thinly sliced hot red pepper, a teaspoon of cracked black peppercorns, sprinkling of salt. Drizzle with red wine vinegar and a tablespoon of soy sauce. Bake at 350 degrees, covered, 10 minutes, then uncover and bake 5 minutes more.

Tuna we don't buy as often anymore because of mercury concerns. So many good recipes though -- let me know if you want some -- we put it in pasta or in empanadas.

Being Asian we buy a lot of the smaller fish (but I avoid anything from China) and have them cleaned, or clean them at home. Then they're simply salted and fried or grilled -- stinks up your house if you fry them, but they're delicious, esp. with rice and a hot Asian soup.

Here's the guide I use when buying:

Best & Worst Seafood Choices from OceansAlive -- there's a handy pocket guide you can print out and take with you when shopping.

And I've got a few recipes here if you like.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

wild caught Salmon and Tilapia, flash frozen. (These are just the most financially feasible for us) We buy them at ALDI, who, by the way owns Trader Joes, and it was triple confirmed for me recently that the fish at ALDI and the fish at Trader Joes are the exact same, just a bit different labeling- hooray!!
Also, on days we do not consume fish, we are all taking one teaspoon Carlson's Cod Liver Oil Lemon flavored. it tastes good to fair to us, depending on who you ask around here
I have friends who drizzle it on salad, we just take ours straight up before or after a meal. I have noticed HUGE differences in my bleeding disorder/cycles.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I would like to chime in and explicitly mention what someone else said in passing: Make sure you ask where the fish is from. Just because the fish is labeled "Atlantic Salmon" or "Mexican tilapia" does not mean that the fish came from there. Those are just the varieties. Where I live, almost all fish comes from either China or Peru. If I don't trust toys from China, I certainly am not going to trust food from China.   

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I was just concerned about it being "wild" as opposed to "farmed" and I had been assured of Trader Joes fair trade practices. do you think I'm ok???

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Our organic tilapia farmer told us that in China tilapia is a sewer fish...they scoop it up, spray it with bleach, and sell it to US companies...I rarely buy fish in the store because it is so easy here to get fresh caught fish, but I would definitely make sure it wasn't from China if I did.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I think that as long as it is wild it should be okay. The problem lies in how the fish are fed and handled when they are farm raised. Different countries have different laws about fish farms and some of them are pretty lax from what I have heard.

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

I stopped buying the frozen salmon from WalMart because it was from China. The fish I get from my grocery store comes from the US. Is there anything else I should ask them? I want to make sure that I'm feeding my family healthy meals!

We eat fish once a week (on Friday.. go figure! ). I usually just pour a little bit of melted butter over the fish, sprinkle Italian breadcrumbs and a tiny bit of romano cheese on top, and broil 'til it's done. I serve it with steamed vegetables tossed with soy sauce and sesame seeds, and creamy orzo.

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I used to love fish, especially tuna & flounder/fluke. We lived a block from the bay in NJ, and my Dad took me fishing from like the time I was born. I remember eating tuna fish every single day for lunch in 3rd grade. It is all I wanted to take, and my Mom made it every singe day.    

Then when I was pregnant with first dd, I was really, really sick...and developed an absolute aversion to fish, that has never gone away.

I will make it for my family, as even my picky picky Aspie son likes fish. And I try to eat it, but...I just can't...
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Here is our favorite salmon recipe. We haven't had it in a long time, but seeing the recipe makes me hungry for it all over again!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

As far as pricing... I pay about $8-9 per pound of wild caught Alaskan salmon... that is when it is on a big sale, which is the only time I buy it

Otherwise it runs up to $20 a pound here for wild caught.

I have to be really careful about the labelling, too. Sometimes it's advertised as wild caught... in the sea of Japan or China

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

oh dear, I just don't have the mental energy to try and sort this all out. Is eating "wildcaught" fish , even if labeled from Japan and China, still better than farm raised?
I have felt fairly confident in my fish choices and now I'm all in a bother!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version