Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do I laugh or do I cry?!!!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

First, my washing mashine breaks, now the pump on my dishwasher broke.

Not a very good start to the new year.

ETA- Tell me your dishwasher-free routines.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Oh, I'm sorry, Ruth! What a way to start the year indeed.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Oh Ruth, I'm sorry. We don't have a dishwasher and I'm fine with that, but I cannot get by without a washing machine. Paper plates for a while?

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Ruth,

We did not have a dishwasher until about a year ago.

What worked best was to wash, dry, and put away dishes after every meal. If I waited until the end of the day, there was a mountain of dishes to wash. If I skipped the drying and putting away, then I had to do that before I could wash the next sinkful of dishes. It goes fastest if dh or one of the children will dry and put away while you (or another dc) washes.

Hope that helps.

Dawn

Also, fill the sink up with warm, soapy water while cooking dinner and wash as you go. Less of a mess to clean up after dinner.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ruth,
We lost our washer and dryer, dishwasher and microwave all within a month of each other a couple of years ago. I'd say you're entitled to a little cry by now!    We replaced them all, but it was beans and soup for a looooong time for us. We were only able to replace them because we had saved for the washer and dryer already since we knew they were dying - and they were the big purchases.

Many prayers for your family during this very frustrating time. Don't know if it's a help or not for you guys, but tax refund time is around the corner.    Pays for a number of our big fixes. It's paying to replace our disintegrating porch this year! I always wish it could go somewhere else, but there always seems to be some large appliance/porch falling apart/braces that needs to be paid for out of the refund.

Prayers and hugs

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Ruth, when it rains, it pours, huh. Some handwashing tips...keep a sink full of sudsy water and wash as you go, as much as possible. Washing pots and pans, mixing bowls 'n such,as you prepare a meal is so much nicer than cleaning EVERYTHING afterward! It helps to engage all family members in this practice as well. The dishwands with a spongy top and a handle that dispenses the soap are a godsend for keeping up with in between meal cleanups! Having each member of the family wash their own dishes as they clear them from the table can also be helpful...this tip came from reading that convents often passed around a dishpan right at the table and they washed and cleaned their plates and put them in a drawer in their spot at the table! We went years without a DW and now we're pretty spoiled by having one! However, I'd much rather handwash dishes than clothes ;)

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Aw Ruth!(((HUGS))) Right after dh had his first hip replaced, our dishwasher broke, our washer and dryer quit, and our stove/oven stopped working. When it rains it does poor around here!!! We still haven't replaced the dishwasher, and we have found it is easier to wash the dishes as we dirty them. We don't always do that, but it is easiest. Luckily, my two olest think washing and drying the dishes is kinda fun right now. The only problem is that we do not have a garbage disposal, and the kids don't always remember to scrape the plates into the garbage first...YUCK!

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Hi Ruth!
Delegate! My dishwasher(s) are the wonderful dc! Sometimes I wash up a few things as I'm preparing our main meal at lunch, but afterwards cleanup is all them. They also clear and wipe after supper (usually a light meal for us with paper plates, etc.) If you want more details, let me know!
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yes, children are quite capable of washing and drying and putting away the dishes..

Though... it can be a nice time working along side your child if you want to do one of the jobs.. I also like filling in with a smaller child who wants to help.. so say my 6 yr old wants to help.. I'll have her dry the dishes and put away the lowere level ones.. while I'll also dry and put away the higher up ones.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

We were without a dishwasher, dryer and both cars this summer. This is how we handled the dishes: Each person washed, dried and put away any dishes he/she used after EACH use (no piling up in the sink). That left just a few cooking and serving dishes after each meal. We pretty much all pitched in. Everyone cleaned off the table while one person put away food, another scrubbed down the table, another washed, another dried and put away. That way we all helped together (parents as well as kids) and no one felt "put upon." It turned out to be a good bonding time for all of us. Working as a family does that for us. We did this for 8 months, until we could get the dishwasher fixed. Now we are all in the habit of doing this, and with the dishwasher now working, clean up these days is a breeze. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise...

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

Ruth - I am so sorry. I feel you pain!! I just got a new dishwasher after 6 months without.

I did the same as Dawn - After each meal I had to do them or they piled up and got out of control.

i confess i did not trust my kids to wash throughly enough so I washed an they took care of the rest.

I am still praying!!!

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Ha---I can't believe this. Our dishwasher broke a few days ago, too! Ughhhhhh!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote Mari

I lived several years without a washing machine... Sometimes I had access to A WASHING MACHINE SERVICE do the sheets/towels. That was like Christmas!!!
Organise your day well so that you can soak clothes well, then give a good wash. With soap, check each item and give stains a wash. THen soak in washing powder of choice (prefer ecological stuff especially since you are going to be in contact with it). If you have a bath tub to do it in, I ended up trampling/marching over it all with my feet (well it worked ), my arms were too dead tired and I was dizzy leaning over the side. Then get a pole or two (like a broom stick) to lie across the width of the bath tub so that you can hang the heavy dripping wet washing on it and let the water drain out. Then do a first rinse. Trample over again (there will still be loads of suds and it helps to get the clothes cleaner. Hang up on the poles again let water out. Leave for a while (or squeeze out what you can). Repeat 2 or 3 more rinses like this. Letting most of the water drip out of the clothes by hanging them over the sticks/rods really is an energy saver.
Towels are the WORST. Option - when you bathe/shower, wipe your body down with a wash cloth (just squeeze out the excess) You don't have to use a big towel.

Hope this helps

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version