Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Post Partum Depression Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Hello ladies,

I'm hoping to start a thread on PPD. It usually hits me at about 8 weeks and lasts a couple of weeks--nothing requiring "treatment", just the blues. With this latest pregnancy, I sailed right through that 8 week mark and thought I was in the clear. Then at about 4 months it hit me hard and, while it has improved somewhat, I just can't shake these blues. I've also been very fatigued and, against my nature, very irritable.

So, for those of you in my boat or with experience being here, what to do? I don't want to call my doctor because I don't want any prescriptions. With a nursling, I'm not going to be getting away any time soon. (I will admit to almost daily wanting to give up nursing--I haven't actually done it yet. Even though I've never had babies so close, I'm scared to death of becoming pregnant any time too soon.) I pray, I have my tea time, our schooling is low stress, my kiddos are very helpful. I don't want my children to have a bad impression of pregnancy or motherhood. I've reduced our activities. I just can't think of anything else to do!

Please share your experiences and remedies and advice.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

[QUOTE=Molly Smith]   I pray, I have my tea time, our schooling is
low stress, my kiddos are very helpful. Please share your
experiences and remedies and advice.

Dear Molly,
Those would be all my words of wisdom. I have never really dealt
with postpartum depression, just mild cases of baby blues that were
more just the normal feelings of trying to handle life with a newborn.
I will pray for you. I might mention trying to eat healthy and be sure
and take your vitamins, esp. since you are nursing, and try and get
plenty of sleep. (Not very original advice, I know! ) I just wanted you
to know that prayers are coming....

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear MOlly,

I had a pretty good case of PPD after #5 and a numbing case after #7. We're two years out now, and I still struggle. I do think that with successive babies, we become more depleted. Some things that turned it around after Stephen included increasing Magnesium to equal or greater than Calcium (at least 1000 mgs everyday). Prolonged nursing really depletes magnesium stores. Depleted magnesium is related to anxiety. I also used OTC progesterone after Stephen. Honestly, what finally helped was an unexpected pregnancy . I never got a period after Stephen and before Nicholas and when I discovered I was pregnant, there was utter panic. (I didn't even have maternity insurance). I was so afraid. By mid-pregnancy, I was the calmest person around. And then he had a perfect birth and I had no PPD at all, not even a moment of the blues.

I'm not sure what happened this time. I suspect the C-section was the catlyst. I didn't heal well and my best strees buster--exercise--was so painful for so long that I just sat around and felt bad. I've started exercising again now and I am remembering that exercise is crucial for me where depression is concerned.

My midwife and I have had several heart-to-hearts about this this time around (one of which was just yesterday). She thinks that some of what is hard this time is shifting hormones as I creep into my late thirties (not your problem). She told me that most women don't handle hormonal shifts well and there are more medical interventions than not where hormone replacement and anti-depressants are concerned. Then she said that it's always the practicing Catholics (she's one of ten chidlren) who seem to feel the full force of the mind-body connection the most. Because they don't take the Pill and because they are much more aware of cyclical changes and much less likely to want anti-depressants bc of nursing, they are the ones who are truly experiencing feminine emotions. Somehow, this explanation helped me. She encouraged me to embrace the shifts (not to wallow in it, but to acknowledge that this is all part of how our bodies work).

Some other things I've tried to do since talking with her last fall: eliminate sugar, eliminate caffeine (this had a tremendous benefit for me), add a TBS or two of flax oil to my diet, exercise at least half an hour every day, get outside everyday, be mindful of the cal-mag connection.

Finally, the fatigue is not just a little thing in this scenario. It's huge. Take nap everyday. After Stephen, part of my survival plan was a nap everyday and then--I'm not kidding here--re-runs of Home Improvement every afternoon. I felt like I hadn't laughed in months. Because I never saw Home Improvement in the original first-run, all the episodes were fresh. My children were incredulous (We're going to watch what at 5 o'clock??). But I laughed. I made myself sit down and I made myself laugh.

You live so close to church, you might also want to duck out just for twenty minutes or so a few times a week for quiet recollection in front of the tabernacle.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that nursing is sucking the life out of you. Actually, I think nursing is God's way of assuring that we don't neglect our babies as depression creeps in. Despite your emtions, that bond will be forged and he WILL always get the best of you. There are very beneficial hormones released as you nurse. That sleepy feeling is all part of the plan to keep you in a resting mode with your infant a little longer. Our culture works against that--go, go, go. Load the dishwasher; sweep the floor; cut lapbook folds; cook bread from scratch! None of those things is as important --for you and your baby--as nursing. So, we fight the hormonal effect of nursing--albeit poorly and we feel like we are failing. The feeling of failure feeds the depression. I think my greatest challenge has been accepting that if I really want to live a counter-cultural lifestyle, I have to truly embrace the fact that my life and my house won't look like anyone else's. I have to turn off the voices in my head that judge outward appearances.And I need to ignore the naysayers who look at me and judge from a different perspective. We can't have it both ways: a mentality that is open to life and to home education and the typical American suburban existence (you lived here--you know what I mean and you have demonstrated that you are better than I am at rejecting it. Still, the mentality creeps in). I need to rest in the knowledge that my relationships with my children do shine, even though my kitchen floor rarely does.

Molly, you have that "shining" quality and you've always struck me as exceptionally cheerful. When I first heard about your bout this time around, it was affirming for me in one sense that PPD is not a choice. I've never knw anyone so committed to cheerfulness as you. If you could be depressed, clearly there was more to this than choosing to smile.

Think of yourself as clay in His hands. These experiences are molding you ; they are shaping you. As we get older, that clay gets more brittle and we tend to break a bit when molded (it was Michele Quigley's son, Timothy, who pointed that out). You were a model of cheerfulness and efficiency, to be sad and tired is a cross certainly. Nurture yourself as if you were pregnant; the child you carry this time is you. Really. You are moving with each postpartum into greater maturity. But the baby that is you must be cared for tenderly. And you are just the mom to do that

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Dear Molly,

I don't suffer from PPD, in fact the early nursing days actually even out my keel emotionally, but I tend to have depressive episodes around the time my baby is a toddler and starts nursing less. They can be very hard to bear. I suppose that has a hormonal element too.   

Elizabeth's advice was wonderful and beautifully said and I can't add much to it, but I wanted to echo:
"She encouraged me to embrace the shifts (not to wallow in it, but to acknowledge that this is all part of how our bodies work)."
"Think of yourself as clay in His hands. These experiences are molding you ; they are shaping you."

Those are probably the two mental attitudes that have carried me through the most.   In the same line, it helps me to unite myself with Our Lady of the Sorrows. Somehow, that helps me to value my sorrow and pain: "a sword will pierce your heart." Yes, my desire is to be like Mary and utter a Fiat even knowing that my heart will be on the line and vulnerable. No, it doesn't make the pain go away; it does remind me that suffering is one of the most dignified and noble parts of the human vocation, in particular the mother's vocation.

I liked what Elizabeth's midwife said about how we as Catholic moms don't necessarily shield ourselves from these sorrows and thus we do feel more of the grief and pain that most women in our society are barriered against. That seems to have so much truth in it.   I've seen my generous Catholic friends bear so many burdens through their openness to God's will.   I can't help but believe God is giving them many blessings in return.   

(((())))) I'll pray for you.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I had a few more thoughts I shared my worst post partum experiences, but I was thinking this morning about my best ones. They were with Christian, my second, and Nicholas, my sixth. So, it's not a matter of numbers . Christian was born a year and a half after finishing chemotherapy and radiation. He was EXTREMELY high need. Now I understand that his sensory integration issues led him to need to be carried constantly. He literally wore a sling threadbare! And he nursed non-stop. It was his way of comforting himself and,I think, of integrating sensory input. He weighed 24 pounds at four months. But, I wasn't depressed. I wasn't even really tired. I'd wake up in the morning and my shoulders and back would hurt and I'd wonder if I could do the carrying thing for one more day, but it wasn't that veil of sadness. There are a few reasons I think I dodged depression here. It was an easy birth;physical recovery was a breeze. My other child was nearly four--I had all the experience of being a seasoned mom but I didn't have a needy toddler. Christian was born in early May. Until September, we had only one car. I didn't go anywhere. Michael still napped and the three of us slept together every afternoon. Finally, I was so glad to just be alive and to have had another baby that I was more than content to do nothing but take care of my boys. I honored the season for what it was. Bouncing back from childbirth DID NOT mean a quick re-entry into the world. Instead, it meant I savored every part of having a young family and I insulated myself from everything that took from the experience. You can't live like that forever, but boy, was it good for a season.

With Nicholas, I had five other children and the youngest was 21 months. A much different postpartum! However, some things were similar. It was a great birth from a physical perspective. I had experienced pelvic prolapse after Stephen and I was determined to be very careful after Nick. So, I didn't push myself to do anything physically exerting whether it was vacuuming or hauling groceries. I seriously put my feet up for the first four or five months.Then, I fell into a wonderful routine of getting up early to walk three to five miles with a friend, with Nicholas in a stroller. This time soothed my soul and got me going for the day. Nicky was also a giant nurser (26 pounds at four months). He was an easy baby, but he was perpetually latched on. By this time, I knew better than to fight that. Instead, I used it to force my body to rest. And we read aloud. Everytime I sat to nurse, which was all the time, I was reading to someone. This time around, MIchael was old enough to keep an eye on things if I napped with the two littlest--so I did.

The similarities in the two best postpartum times are that I really embraced and insulated the time; I rested and SLEPT during the day ; I nursed incessantly; and I shut out the world to some degree.

One of the nice things about this message board is the emoticons. So, Molly, here are bunches of hugs and a reminder that this thread will definitely be archived. Your willingness to share your struggles and others' willingness to comment and to minister will bless many, many moms. You are NOT alone in this

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Kimberly Hancoc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kimberly Hancoc

My experiences with depression are a little different. My first baby (now 4.5) was very high-need -- screamer, constant nurser and not much of a sleeper. With him I was exhausted and looked awful but I didn't feel depressed. I have always thought that I was too busy to think and therefore unable to experience depression. I nursed him for 18 months. When I was pregnant with my 2nd weaning was mutual and agreeable.
My second baby was born almost exactly two years later. He was sooo different. He would fall asleep contentedly after nursing and reach for his crib to be laid down. He rarely cried. When he was a few weeks old I began to feel not like myself -- crabby, impatient, unable to take the slightest criticism, unmotivated to go anywhere or do anything. This feeling would worsen considerably while I was nursing. While he nursed I would stare off into space and feel hopeless. I didn't like the feeling of anyone in my personal space. I weaned him at four months and the depression went away immediately. Was it psychological or physiological? I'll never know. Any doctor I have told about it hasn't seemed to believe it. Nursing makes you feel better, they would say.
Now, baby #3 has been a different experience all together. She was nursing great (although for the first time in my life I had trouble letting down in public) and I felt fine until she reached about 9 months of age (October). The blues are back. This time it doesn't seem to be related to nursing. She is 13 months old, newly out of the family bed and sleeping through the night, nursing about 4 times a day. I am still in lactational ammenorhea (sp?) Again I am crabby, unmotivated, and overly-critical of myself and others. Perhaps diet is the key this time. We have pretty terrible eating habits around here -- lots of coffee and sweets. After what Elizabeth said I am tempted to cut them out of our diets but fearful that they are what get me through the day -- how will I survive without my morning coffee and sweet treat? (GG)

One thing I have to say is that I don't know for sure if my blues qualify as post partum depression. I switched o.b.'s between babies 2 and 3 and I mentioned to him in my pregnancy with #3 that I had experienced PPD before. He wrote this down in his notes without really discussing it further with me. I feel like it was a terrible mistake on my part. I began getting informational brochures on PPD in the mail. When they mentioned things like suicidal thoughts or thoughts about hurting ones children I was horrified. I never had thoughts like those and I felt awful that that is what my doctor thought I was experiencing. When I spoke to him at our next session about how I really felt compared with the symptoms described in the pamphlets he wasn't hearing me -- it was too late. He spoke to me about getting on medication if it should happen after the birth of #3. In the hospital, the day after I gave birth, a social worker came and spoke to me about PPD. She was very impersonal and disingenuous. I explained that I had only felt "down." But again, this person didn't seem to hear me. SHe went on and on about feelings of suicide and hurting others. I was just embarrassed and I regretted ever saying anything at all to anyone about it at all. Perhaps the world is overly cautious about such things because of the extreme cases we have all heard in the news. I'm sure it is a black mark on my permanent health records.
So, I am really looking forward to some advice from those with similar experiences. Especially for some ways of improving my mood without anti-depressants.

Back to Top View Kimberly Hancoc's Profile Search for other posts by Kimberly Hancoc Visit Kimberly Hancoc's Homepage

Kimberly Hancoc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Kimberly Hancoc

After posting and then re-reading my experience with PPD I feel a little...depressed (GGG). I mean. I didn't mean to just write a litany of complaints. I should have added what I have found to help since that was Molly's original question.

Number one for me -- doing something! It is a catch-22 since most days it is a struggle to shower and get dressed but if I can just get the kids to a park where the kids can run and play (we have a very small house) it improves the whole day. This is not always possible. Winter in Michigan can be hard with little ones. Two of mine have asthsma and cold air aggravates it. Just the thought of Spring coming helps me feel better.

Sometimes at night I will write down just one thing to do the next day. I will announce it to the kids so that there is no way I can get out of doing it because they will remind me and remind me (GGG). It is on a post-it note on the dining room table to greet us in the morning. Something like "Fingerpaint" Then the next day after breakfast or lunch I clear the table, get out the paints and paper and see the task through.It may sound very small to someone else but just doing that one little thing helps. I can look back on my day and say I fingerpainted with the kids and feel like a good mom even though I may not have felt up to some of the other things I would do if I weren't depressed like elaborate carfts or playdates. Sometimes the note says "Fold and put away all laundry." Well, the kids won't remind over and over to do that one (G) but there is the note staring at me in the morning and I make it my one goal and I pursue it relentlessly. Sometimes it will say something very small like "Call my mom" (which can be hard to do especially if I'm not feeling already cheerful) or "Pray a rosary" The things I write on my note ALWAYS get done and it helps me to feel better.

Bigger goals like "Get together with so-and-so and her kids at the park and bring a picnic lunch" is VERY big for me at this point in my depression and probably won't happen or will cause alot of stress in the process. On better days, it may be do-able and I'll feel really good afterwards too.

I have been going to Eucharistic Adoration for one hour a week for a little over a year now. I take all of my problems and fears with me and usually leave feeling refreshed. I am a real newbie at prayer though and it takes real effort with many distractions (look at that crack in the ceiling...OR I wonder who does altar care here the linens look very nice. (G) I go to Adoration Saturday night after the children are asleep and I find myslef looking forward to this now as the three of them play very noisily behind while I type.

One last thing, a get-together or phone or e-mail conversation with a like minded person is often very helpful. My husband's and my own family are not like-minded in the least and it is depressing for me to have to defend my lifestyle constantly. Most of my friends don't live too close or they have the demands of their own large families.

Hope this helps any of you struggling.

Back to Top View Kimberly Hancoc's Profile Search for other posts by Kimberly Hancoc Visit Kimberly Hancoc's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kimberly Hancoc wrote:
When he was a few weeks old I began to feel not like myself -- crabby, impatient, unable to take the slightest criticism, unmotivated to go anywhere or do anything. This feeling would worsen considerably while I was nursing. While he nursed I would stare off into space and feel hopeless. I didn't like the feeling of anyone in my personal space.

I wonder if Angie has some thoughts on this. The only time I have felt this way was when I was tandem nursing--and then, it was only when I nursed the baby and the toddler at the same time. As long as I nursed them separately, I was fine. But when they nursed together, it was exactly as you described.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Kim, I feel the same way when I say that I'm suffering from mild PPD--I'm not suicidal and I have no desire to hurt anyone else. And I do think that's one reason why I don't want to talk to an MD about it. I guess there are degrees of everything, but for our purposes here, where we can assume the best of ourselves and are all in such similar situations, I feel comfortable using the term PPD.

I also have had a real problem with sugar and caffeine and I'm sure it's what got me through many days. However, for Lent I've given up all sweets--candy, cookies, any desserts. I still have my one cup of indulgence each morning (French Vanilla Cafe), but other than that I've eliminated sugar from my diet. I guess I shouldn't say that--does fruit count? I've always been a big fruit eater. Does my one cup of coffee really make a difference? Should I eliminate it? Aside from my morning coffee and o.j. I just dring water and herbal teas.

I've asked before on other lists what people take for supplements, but I'm so overwhelmed by all the different things that I just stick with my daily multivitamin and that's it. I looked this a.m. and it has 136 mg of calcium and 100 mg of magnesium. It looks like those are way less than I need. So, aside from calcium and magnesium, are there other biggies I should look for? I really want to get myself in order physically. In fact, that's the big reason why I gave up sweets and desserts--to be a better steward of my body. What is flax seed oil? Sounds like it would make me gag .

Elizabeth, you mentioned carrying Christian so much you didn't know if you could do it another day, and I'm in that same situation. My upper left quadrant from my ear to shoulder half-down my back across to the spine is in constant pain whether I"m holding Patrick or not. I can not get any relief. I've tried heating pads, Motrin, massage and I sometimes want to just cry when I wake up and am still sore. By the grace of God I make it through another day, but the pain never goes away. Any tricks?

Willa, I'm so glad you mentioned Our Lady of Sorrows. Some things seem so obvious when someone else says them. I so appreciate everyone's responses so far--I hope to still hear more stories.

I'm going to go back through and read through this thread a few more times. I glean something new each time I read through it.

God bless you all!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Molly Smith wrote:
My upper left quadrant from my ear to shoulder half-down my back across to the spine is in constant pain whether I"m holding Patrick or not. I can not get any relief.   Any tricks?

A midwife once told me how important it is for a mother to stetch her muscles in the opposite drection that she uses the majority of the day to carry her baby. When carrying a baby all the time, a mother's arms are forward, her shoulders are forward, the back bends forward. We need to do stretches daily that pull back on those areas and strengthen the opposite muscles and increase flexibility (I doubt I'm not talking technically/physiologically correct terms here). Some suggestions are to periodically throughout the day but especially in the evening before bed pull your arms behind you and hold/stretch. I was looking on line to see if I could find some real descriptions of the types of stretches I mean. Maybe these will help.

Chest and shoulder stretch
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Clasp hands behind your back. Straighten and raise your arms, pushing your chest forward. Hold for 15 seconds, then relax. Repeat 3 times.

Back and shoulder stretch
Hold your right wrist with your left hand behind your back. Lean your left ear to your left shoulder. Left hand pulls right arm down and across behind your back. Hold stretch for 15 seconds, then relax. Repeat 3 times on each side

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Kimberly Hancoc wrote:
One thing I have to say is that I don't know for sure if my blues qualify as post partum depression. I switched o.b.'s between babies 2 and 3 and I mentioned to him in my pregnancy with #3 that I had experienced PPD before. He wrote this down in his notes without really discussing it further with me. I feel like it was a terrible mistake on my part.

Kim, this is such an unfortunate situation. My heart really goes out to you and the many women who find themselves unheard and/or misunderstood.

I wear two hats when it comes to my experience with PPD. In this reply, I'll wear the hat of being the wife of a clinical psychologist.

Here is a quick definition of Baby Blues:
The blues affect from 50 to 80% of postpartum women. Symptoms include tearfulness, fatigue, insomnia, irritability, poor concentration, sadness and mood changes. These symptoms are generally mild and short-lived. They usually start within 3-4 days after delivery and disappear by 10 days after delivery. Symptoms typically last for just a few minutes or hours each day for only a few days. The transient, sporadic, and limited nature of the blues, which usually comes and goes for short time periods, requires no treatment except for reassurance and support.

Postpartum Depression is a clinical term, yet it is not a diagnosis from the DSM IV. The DSM IV views PPD (or more precise PMD, Postpartum Major Depression) as Depression and allows the addition of a postpartum-onset specifier for patients with an onset within four weeks of delivery. The glitch here is that the symptoms of depression and natural postpartum changes can overlap:
Sleep disturbance (insomnia or hypersomnia)*
Weight loss*
Loss of energy*
Diminished concentration, or indecisiveness*

My husband (wish he were here to comment!) works closely with physicians. Many are not trained in, experienced in, or even comfortable with psychological issues. If they hear any of the above "symptoms" from a postpartum mother, they may jump to the other end of the continuum and assume other more severe symptoms such as:
Depressed mood
Lack of pleasure or interest
Agitation or retardation
Feelings of worthlessness or inappropriate guilt
Frequent thoughts of death or suicide
This type of "leap" is unprofessional, however well-intentioned. Just as an under-reactive, dismissive, "Oh, it's just the baby blues," is unprofessional. A second opinion is always recommended when a mother feels that she has been unheard or misunderstood.

I will honestly share, that I find it very discouraging that care-providers are so often challenged in this area. It is inhumane to expect a weary mother to not only deal with her new baby and her difficult feelings but also to be her own advocate for good care! Ideally, every mother would have an advocate (especially another mother) who can look out for her when times are tough. Mother-to-mother support may not "cure" all forms of PPD, but it certainly helps. Offers of practical help, prayers, and good listening are invaluable. Thanks for offering support here by sharing your experience.

God bless,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

elizfoss wrote:
Kimberly Hancoc wrote:
When he was a few weeks old I began to feel not like myself -- crabby, impatient, unable to take the slightest criticism, unmotivated to go anywhere or do anything. This feeling would worsen considerably while I was nursing. While he nursed I would stare off into space and feel hopeless. I didn't like the feeling of anyone in my personal space.

I wonder if Angie has some thoughts on this. The only time I have felt this way was when I was tandem nursing--and then, it was only when I nursed the baby and the toddler at the same time. As long as I nursed them separately, I was fine. But when they nursed together, it was exactly as you described.

For this reply, I'll answer wearing my second PPD hat which comes from being and working with pregnant and nursing mothers. There are many variables involved in PPD that it is hard to untangle them and each mother is unique. Most mothers who are advised to discontinue breastfeeding due to depression, continue to experience depression. Also, oxytocin which is one of the hormones that is released while breastfeeding is a powerful antidepressant. Yet, some mothers will experience the feelings you both described above, given a particular set of circumstance.

I have experienced, heard or read about a large continuum of feelings connected with the postpartum period. The real difficulty is sorting out where a particular woman is on the continuum at a particular time. It is additionally difficult to find accurate information for breastfeeding mothers, information that understands and respects the mother/baby dyad.   
Here are two books that many mothers, and those who care for them, have found helpful:

The Hidden Feelings of Motherhood: Coping with Stress, Depression, and Burnout
Hidden Feelings of Motherhood

Mothering the New Mother: Women's Feelings and Needs After Childbirth
Mothering the New Mother

Here is an excellent article with many references:
When the Blues Arrive with Baby

Thanks to all for sharing their experiences and for offering practical helps and prayers.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Molly Smith wrote:
What is flax seed oil? Sounds like it would make me gag

Does sort of sound like castor oil, doesn't it? Fortunately, it can be taken in forms that hopefully wouldn't make you gag - like the ground seeds or capsules. What it is - flax seed oil is the oil that is produced from the flax seed. It is the richest known source of alpha-linolenic acid (one of the two essentially fatty acids from which all other fatty acids are produced). Alpha-linolenic acid is vital to the functioning of our bodies but there aren't many natural sources for it. Besides flax oil which is 60% alpha-linolenic acid, raw pumpkin seeds and walnuts also have quite a bit.

Marilyn Shannon has a very informative article on flax oil in the latest issue of Family Foundations magazine from Couple to Couple. The article discusses alpha-linolenic acid's importance to a woman's reproductive health. One of the things she specifically says that I think applies is that it "helps with stress and anxiety, postpartum depression, low libido. Essentail fatty acids support adrenal function, which is involved in these problems." She has dosage info suggestions of three to ten 1-gram capsules a day. If interested I could scan the article and send it to you.

Another thing I suggest checking on is thyroid health - it can be responsible for hormonal challenges postpartum - like depression and fatigue. It is actually very common and can be treated with traditional methods or alternative therapies.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MaryM wrote:

Marilyn Shannon has a very informative article on flax oil in the latest issue of Family Foundations magazine from Couple to Couple.   

Would this article be available as a link?

Also, flax can be taken in liquid oil form. Some folks can take it straight (ugh) but most will mix it into something cold and flavorful like a smoothy.

My latest, greatest find is Spectrum Cinnamon Flax Oil (found in many natural foods stores.) I mix it into my hot morning cereal. I truly can't tolerate the taste of flaxseed oil but much to my glee, I can't taste it in this form .

Cinnamon Flax Seed Oil

Love,

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Angie Mc wrote:

Do you mean a link to the CCLI page? - They don't have any recent issues archived (latest is May-June 2004).
Or is it something I could do with a scanned image on the forum? - That is a little beyond me as far as how to do something like that.

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MaryM wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

Do you mean a link to the CCLI page? - They don't have any recent issues archived (latest is May-June 2004).
Or is it something I could do with a scanned image on the forum? - That is a little beyond me as far as how to do something like that.

You and me both, Mary, LOL! I did hope that it was available online. In six months perhaps one of us will remember to find the archived link and post it . Thanks!

Love,

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 07 2005 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

If you have experienced PPD, what are some of the things that helped you most, both to cope during and to come out of it?

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2005 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Elizabeth,
It's like you have said in parts of your posts before, exercise and nutrition! Plenty of water and other good fuels for the body and physical challenges (appropriate level for post-recovery from birth or miscarriage) are such a great foundation for overcoming PPD for me.

A funny show and a great book never hurt!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Kimberly Hancoc wrote:
This feeling would worsen considerably while I was nursing. While he nursed I would stare off into space and feel hopeless. I didn't like the feeling of anyone in my personal space. I weaned him at four months and the depression went away immediately. Was it psychological or physiological? I'll never know. Any doctor I have told about it hasn't seemed to believe it. Nursing makes you feel better, they would say.

My experience with nursing is exactly the same as Kimberly's and like with her, no one ever believes me! I've had PPD with two of my 3 (although I think it was much more like anxiety attacks making me think I was crazy that made me depressed, lol). I nursed my first for a little over a year, then my second and third for a little under a year each, and practically every time I would sit down to nurse a horrible feeling of doom would come over me, especially during let down. It was miserable. I'm not looking forward to it again! The only thing I found that was any help at all (little that it was) was drinking a big glass of water while the baby had just latched on and was starting to nurse.

With both PPD's it went away after I weaned.

My third child was a different story. I conceived her after a novena to St. Philomena, and I believe that I was especially graced throughout that whole pregnancy and post partum. I still got blues and occasional anxiety attacks but nothing like the first two times.

I don't have any great advice (other than many prayers and a novena to St. Philomena ) except that making sure I got the recommended amount of calcium/magnesium each day has been helpful, and also as much sunshine as possible.

Also trying to "take every thought captive" to Christ and realizing when I was going in circles with my thinking, trying to replace it with things I knew which were happy/true/good thoughts. It was a humongous struggle to do that, but when I could do it, it helped a bit.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2005 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

amyable wrote:
Kimberly Hancoc wrote:
This feeling would worsen considerably while I was nursing. While he nursed I would stare off into space and feel hopeless. I didn't like the feeling of anyone in my personal space. I weaned him at four months and the depression went away immediately. Was it psychological or physiological? I'll never know. Any doctor I have told about it hasn't seemed to believe it. Nursing makes you feel better, they would say.

My experience with nursing is exactly the same as Kimberly's and like with her, no one ever believes me!

Not being believed is one of the most frustrating and exasperating experiences. In this case, why would it be a hard reach to "believe" that the hormones that can trigger strong feelings of bonding and relaxation for many can also trigger other strong feelings in some? This is not only believable, but makes perfectly good sense! (oooo, I can feel myself getting hot just thinking about this...I'd better calm down, lol!)

I am forever humbled by the lengths that mothers will go through to meet the needs of their children, often without support and sometimes in the face of hostility. I'm now thinking about all of the spaces where us moms hold "unbelieveable" things in our hearts, with the ultimate example being when we are held suspect because of our faith in God and commitment to His Church. (ooops...maybe I'm not quite calmed down enough to write .)

I'm going to look into the breastfeeding/depression connection more thoroughly. I'll let you all know what I find. Please do the same.

Thanks to all for sharing your support and contributing concrete ways to get through the "unbelievable."

Love,

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version