Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgy of the Hours Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Don't miss Elizabeth's follow-up on the Divine Office.

Also, I was reading General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours this through last week and just had to share this section. Emphasis mine:

Quote:
ChapterII-II. Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer

37. "By the venerable tradition of the universal Church, lauds as morning prayer and vespers as evening prayer are the two hinges on which the daily office turns; hence they are to be considered as the chief hours and celebrated as such." [2]

38. As is clear from many of the elements that make it up, morning prayer is intended and arranged to sanctify the morning. St. Basil the Great gives an excellent description of this character in these words: "It is said in the morning in order that the first stirrings of our mind and will may be consecrated to God and that we may take nothing in hand until we have been gladdened by the thought of God, as it is written: 'I was mindful of God and was glad' (Ps 77:4 [Jerome's translation from Hebrew]), or set our bodies to any task before we do what has been said: 'I will pray to you, Lord, you will hear my voice in the morning; I will stand before you in the morning and gaze on you' (Ps 5:4-5)." [3]

Celebrated as it is as the light of a new day is dawning, this hour also recalls the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, the true light enlightening all people (see Jn 1:9) and "the sun of justice" (Mal 4:2), "rising from on high" (Lk 1:78). Hence, we can well understand the advice of St. Cyprian: "There should be prayer in the morning so that the resurrection of the Lord may thus be celebrated." [4]

39. When evening approaches and the day is already far spent, evening prayer is celebrated in order that "we may give thanks for what has been given us, or what we have done well, during the day." [5] We also recall the redemption through the prayer we send up "like incense in the Lord's sight," and in which "the raising up of our hands" becomes "an evening sacrifice." [6] This sacrifice "may also be interpreted more spiritually as the true evening sacrifice that our Savior the Lord entrusted to the apostles at supper on the evening when he instituted the sacred mysteries of the Church or of the evening sacrifice of the next day, the sacrifice, that is, which, raising his hands, he offered to the Father at the end of the ages for the salvation of the whole world." [7] Again, in order to fix our hope on the light that knows no setting, "we pray and make petition for the light to come down on us anew; we implore the coming of Christ who will bring the grace of eternal light." [8] Finally, at this hour we join with the Churches of the East in calling upon the "joy-giving light of that holy glory, born of the immortal, heavenly Father, the holy and blessed Jesus Christ; now that we have come to the setting of the sun and have seen the evening star, we sing in praise of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. . . ."

40. Morning prayer and evening prayer are therefore to be accorded the highest importance as the prayer of the Christian community. Their public or communal celebration should be encouraged, especially in the case of those who live in community. Indeed, the recitation of these hours should be recommended also to individual members of the faithful unable to take part in a celebration in common.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thanks, Jenn for posting that. The posts that Elizabeth linked from the Catholic Spitfire Grill are really good! She mentions the Divine Office for Dodos . It's being reissued in April '08. Does anyone else have this? or have you seen it? worth buying?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've been praying the Liturgy of the Hours Morning Prayer for years. It is such a habit I feel very strange if my day starts without it.
I would like to add the Evening Prayer to my routine. I've tried this off and on for a long time, but I can't seem to make it work. I'm either too tired at the end of the day or there is just too much going on around here. For those that say the Evening Prayer, when do you fit it in? What about the Office of the Readings? That's another whole section that I rarely use because I can't seem to find the time.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Becky Parker wrote:
I would like to add the Evening Prayer to my routine. I've tried this off and on for a long time, but I can't seem to make it work. I'm either too tired at the end of the day or there is just too much going on around here. For those that say the Evening Prayer, when do you fit it in? What about the Office of the Readings? That's another whole section that I rarely use because I can't seem to find the time.

Our household routine with just two littles (who are both good sleepers!) is probably much more predictable than yours! But each evening after the kids are in bed and our chores are finished (dishwasher running, trash taken out, mail sorted, etc.), we light the candles on our family altar and have our prayer time as a couple. Right now we just pray our Rosary, but we used to include Evening Prayer at this time as well.

I'm interested to hear others' suggestions about when to do the Office of the Readings, as we don't do them here--yet!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

MLoustalot
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote MLoustalot

The Rosary Shop has made available a free download of their LOTH tutorial --

http://www.rosaryshop.com/

Scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page and you will find the link.

I have been praying the LOTH for 4.5 years, and found some info in this document that I didn't know and some things were clarified.

I also have read Divine Office for Dodo's and found the info from Rosary Shop to be easier to follow.

God Bless,
Melinda in SE Texas

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

http://penitents.org/giftshopdodos.htmlhttp://penitents.org/giftshopdodos.html

The above is a link to my friend's mother's book "Divine Office for Dodos."

Apparently it is sold out until reprinted in April, but when I am ambitious enough to tackle the Divine Office again, I plan on getting it. It seems like just what I need!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MLoustalot wrote:
The Rosary Shop has made available a free download of their LOTH tutorial --

http://www.rosaryshop.com/

Scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page and you will find the link.

I have been praying the LOTH for 4.5 years, and found some info in this document that I didn't know and some things were clarified.

Wow, I'm looking through the tutorial and it's fabulous. Very nicely and simply laid out.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cathmomof2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote cathmomof2

I can't recall the author and I'm too lazy to go find the actual book, but "Lord, Open My Lips" is a great book that explains the Liturgy. It's not a guide per se, but it does give a better understanding of the Liturgy and I highly recommend it.
My dh faithfully prays Morning Prayer by himself and we pray Night Prayer as a couple. It's been fantastic. I would love to pray morning prayer, but I'm just not there yet.
We've prayed it with several different priests/lay people who have guided us along the way..that helps immensely!
God Bless,
Meghan
Back to Top View cathmomof2's Profile Search for other posts by cathmomof2

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Question for Liturgy of the Hours owners:

Which binding did you get? We're deciding between the imitation leather and the real leather. We've been very pleased with the leather-bound Roman Missal. We also bought a couple of leather-bound Bibles in the past few years that have not held up the way we thought they would. Since this is quite an investment we want to know if the leather one really is durable or will we do better with the less expensive one knowing we might have to replace at some point.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
Question for Liturgy of the Hours owners:

Which binding did you get? We're deciding between the imitation leather and the real leather. We've been very pleased with the leather-bound Roman Missal. We also bought a couple of leather-bound Bibles in the past few years that have not held up the way we thought they would. Since this is quite an investment we want to know if the leather one really is durable or will we do better with the less expensive one knowing we might have to replace at some point.

Stef, I'm presuming you mean the version from Catholic Book Publishing? I have both versions (a blessing from used book sales). I have to say the leather is more durable. The plastic cracks and tears over time at the bended areas.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Yes, Jenn, I'm talking about those. Thanks for your input!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version