Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: grandparents: family or peer centered? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I would say they are neither family-centered or peer-centered. They are probably spouse-centered or self-centered.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I am envious of so many of you---DO know that you are truly fortunate and count your blessings.

For instance, apropos of right now: I am in my 3rd trimester and thinking of the post-partum period already (I know---I shouldn't worry)....I have never had a "mother" come help after birth. And my husband always has to work, so it's not a great start.

Just thinking about the role of extended family in these times, and God's plan for families vs. what seems to be comfortable for most people.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

We only have one surviving parent, my mother, who is family centred but also active socially and in the community, so far as her health permits. As she is now 80 and her mobility not so great she is limited in what she can do with the children - she can't cope physically with our toddler, so can't babysit. She moved earlier this year and now lives just five minutes walk away, which means she sees a lot of us. It also means we will be able to care for her if she needs it in the future.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, my ILs are both deceased, but from what I can gather they were family centered (they were almost the age of my grandparents and both died before I met DH). My parents...are...strange. No friends, really. They go to work, come home, and stay home. Few hobbies (mom reads alot, and watches tv...dad tinkers on cars and his engineering stuff, and watches tv)...they will go to visit my dad's mom and sister about twice a year (my aunt and grandma come to visit once or twice, too)...I have one sister who lives in the same town, and they see her whenever she wants something (basically)...My other sister and I live farther away (one, and two states, respectively), and our parents don't visit very often--mom more so than dad, that's for sure.

DH and I are definitely more family centered. We have friends, but not a ton. Due to the army (DHs job) we've had friends come and go, and be several states away, so it makes socializing difficult (not to mention having several small dc). So we don't do the whole socializing thing very often. Mostly its parish oriented when we do. We're moving back to be nearer to DHs family this spring. That is what drives alot of the decisions we're making these days--what gets the family ahead?

I dunno if that really answers the question/s. But there you go...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My in-laws are very private people and live about 5 hours away. But they have always helped out whenever there was a need. My mil stayed wiht us when each child was born for a week and flew back and forth during 2 of my pregnancies that were especially difficult.

My parents unfortunately only parent when they feel like it and then will forget we exist for weeks at a time. We live only 20 minutes apart, but I see my in-laws more often. My parents also live a life contrary to our faith and are confrontational about it at times, so we won't let them see the kids unless we are present also.

I wish it was different. Especially as my brothers are starting to have families of their own. Both of my sils are expecting . All we can do is pray.

LeeAnn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version