Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Converting + Latin Mass Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Hoosiermama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Hoosiermama

Hello all!

If this is the wrong place for this post, please move it or take it down. I wasn't sure where to even post this.

I posted my introduction earlier this year, but I haven't been able to find it again. I've been away from the board for awhile but now I'm back again,hopefully to stay!

To make a very long story short, I've decide to return to the Catholic Church after having been away for 30 years. I'm 37, my mom left the church when I was 7. Not only am I going back, my eldest son is coming with me.
AND AND AND
We just found out today that there is a Latin Mass held every Sunday afternoon less than half an hour away from us! He and I were just thrilled to learn about this! I told my mom this evening about it and she said "You know, its in Latin. You won't know what they are saying." LOL!

We also had to break the news to our very Protestant homeschooling co-op members. I told them we would leave if they felt our religious difference would be a problem. They were all so very gracious. Full of questions, but very understanding and gracious. They don't want us to leave and we all ended up crying. So, for now, we'll stay and study together. It's going to be interesting as we are using Omnibus II and the last book we study in Luther's "Bondage of the Will." Not sure yet how I'm going to handle that one. We might just sit that one out...

Now, I know my way around Mass, but I've never,ever been to a Latin Mass. Is there anything at all I need to be aware of?

Rejoicing today,
Hoosiermama
Back to Top View Hoosiermama's Profile Search for other posts by Hoosiermama

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Wonderful to hear!

I've never been to a Latin Mass, but did want to post to say, Welcome Home!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Hoosiermama, I did move the thread here to Life in the Domestic Church since the topic of preparing to attend a Latin Mass fits here better. Hopefully members will add their thoughts on what would be helpful to know before attending. There are a couple past threads that have included long discussions of the Latin Mass. Though they cover a wide variety of topics related the the Latin Mass there is some helpful info for your specific question as well.

Tridentine Mass
Latin Mass

And welcome back to the forums - and the Catholic Church.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Dear Hoosiermama,
Welcome home! One thing that may help you before attending Latin Mass is to get a copy of a Latin Missal or the "Latin-English Booklet Missal for Praying the Traditional Mass", published by the Coalition in Support of Ecclesia Dei. Read through the English prayers of the Mass, which are right beside the Latin prayers...you will fall in love with the reverence and wonder of the prayers. Another idea is to find Latin Mass recordings or Latin hymns and listen to them often to familiarize yourself with the language so it feels less foreign when you attend the Mass.

Don't be discouraged if you feel out of place at your first Latin Mass, it takes awhile to get used to the differences, but the more familiar you become with it the more beautiful the experience can be! You are truly blessed to have a Latin Mass so close! Latin Mass is one to two hours away in our diocese...but it is worth the drive for such a sacred and reverent Mass.    

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Dear Hoosiermama,
Congratulations on finding your way home!

I second everything that Servant said.
Just take it slow and get used to it... let the quiet and reverence seep into your bones....

God Bless you,
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Hi Hoosiermama,

I just wanted to say "welcome home," too! You sound so joyful about your return!

I attended my first Latin Mass in College and fell in love with it, though I had no idea what was being said. It was the Novos Ordo (did I get that right?) so I knew what was going on, though I didn't know the responses. It didn't take long, though, to become familliar with the difference. I second what has already been said, and I'd think they would use something like the Adoraemus hymnal at the Mass, which makes it quite easy to follow along.

Blessings!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version