Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Mother Culture? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

hereinantwerp wrote:
I wonder what Ma Ingalls or any of our other icons from the past would think of the idea of "Mother Culture"? In our present time, I think something like it is necessary, however!

I agree. I think the nature of "work" before was more fulfilling to us as creative human beings.

The physical nature of it meant that you relieved stress and were more physically healthy without the need to make extra time for "exercise."

We probably spend more time washing clothes now (we have more clothes), but the work is boring and inactive.

There are many examples, but this gives good reason as to why we have to put more of an effort into "taking care of ourselves." It just doesn't happen as naturally as it once did.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Excellent points. Reminds me of the story of when researchers when to a tribal community to learn more about how the tribe cared for their children. They asked the mothers how many times a day they nursed their babies. The mothers were incredulous. Because they kept their babies close and integrated into their work, they had no idea how often they nursed the babies. The researchers then observed that these mothers nursed very often.

At the rate our culture is speeding up, will there come a day when mothers will be expected to know how many times a day we...breath? Will we need to keep track of our breathing and assure that we get breathing time? Don't know whether to or .

Chocolate anyone?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Interesting thread!
I find it telling that many of the things we now do for pleasure, (sewing, knitting, baking, taking walks, etc)once were necessary work done to provide for the family, and wouldn't have been considered indulgent at all!LOL!
Overall, life is so easy for us compared to long ago. But even in Ma Ingals' day there were quilting bees, church socials, and town picnics.
Human beings have an innate need for beauty, connection with God, and interaction with fellow man, among other things. God planted those seeds in us for good reason, which is to bring us closer to Him.

We see glimpses of the Creator in the beautiful things we create by our own hands, and the hands of others. We interact with him through prayer and the sacraments, but also through His Church, our neighbors. We draw closer to him by serving others, becoming more Christ-like in charity, but also by seeking Him for our own selves through all of the means he has given us.

How can we lead our children to a place we do not know ourselves?

Mother culture is, to me, nothing more than seeking to grow close to Him through these simple means. It isn't about being selfish, but about tending the seeds God Himself has planted in our own souls.

Thank you, ladies for a lovely discussion!
YOU are my mother culture!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I have to add a quick thank you for this thread. I'm an introvert so a slow thinker and not able to do much more that watch threads like this grow and be grateful for Sundays, but I've had a great time thinking...thinking...thinking about this, holding my activities and hobbies up and seeing if, like a sack of old clothes, they fit into Mother Culture or need to be given away. There was even a blogging thread which brought me back to this one. I mentioned before that I think Mother Culture has been a part of my life, but now I can be more intentional with the added benefit of weeding out what doesn't really need to be there. So thank you all!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

amyable wrote:
Nina Murphy wrote:

I think we all are trying SO hard and want SO badly to be good and do what is right....(and we ought to) but we need to cut ourselves some slack once in a while and just recognize our limitations...putting on the proverbial airmask first and allowing ourselves that "time".   

I guess I still don't "get" this...where does it say we should do this? Quote me the Bible or some saints or Pope John Paul II or something ladies!

This question has stuck with me because of my personal campaign against sloth, so Bill and I have discussed it over the past several months. A few weeks ago Bill emailed me this:

Quote:
I was reading "Happy Are You Poor" on the Metro this morning, and came across a reference how being happy are you poor does not mean that you have to deprive yourself of your health, rest, etc . . . The author referenced Mark 6:30-32. Contextually this happens before the feeding the 5000 with the 2 fish/5 loves of bread.

30 The apostles gathered together with Jesus and reported all they had done and taught.
31 He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." People were coming and going in great numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat.
32 So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.

Now I know I have to do some rereading on this thread and on Amy's blog, but I was curious is anyone else had found Biblical references or Church docs that talk about this?

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Rachel May wrote:
Now I know I have to do some rereading on this thread and on Amy's blog, but I was curious is anyone else had found Biblical references or Church docs that talk about this?

I'm not sure these quotes are completely on point, but they struck me tonight...

St. Francis de Sales, Thy Will be Done: Letters to Persons in the World, page 86 (written to a pregnant woman "suffering lassitude and discouragement"):

Quote:
My dearest daughter, we must not be unjust and require from ourselves what is not in ourselves. When troubled in body and health, we must not exact from our souls anything more than acts of submission and the acceptance of our suffering, and holy unions of our will to the good pleasure of God...

page 89-90 (written "to a pregnant woman, on loving God in her suffering")

Quote:
Be careful to spare yourself in this pregnancy; make no effort to oblige yourself to any kind of exercise, except quite gently. If you get tired kneeling, sit down; if you cannot command attention to pray half and hour, pray only fifteen minutes or even half of that...Do not torment yourself too much, but suffer with love what you have to suffer. God will be gracious to you, Madame, and will give you the grace to arrange this more retired life of which you speak to me.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Found this too:

CCC 2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2008 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Amen!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I've been told by priests in confession more than once that I need to make sure to rest. One in particular clarified saying that I shouldn't veg out and watch tv all day or sleep in, but to do something productive yet enjoyable.
It's nice to see some Church reference to that as well.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Found another one on The Mother's Rule of Life website::

Quote:
"...he who devotes himself to the conversion of souls and forgets the wants of his own soul falls into a...dangerous illusion. God wills that we should love our neighbour as ourselves, but not more than ourselves; that is, our love of neighbour should not induce us to neglect ourselves...

Bernard of Clairvaux wrote the following words to Pope Eugenius III: "If you are devoted to everybody, be also devoted to yourself. Otherwise what would it profit you to devote yourself to everyone, if you were to be lost? Reserve also some time, some care for yourself... Begin by first taking care of yourself. In vain would you devote yourself to the care of others, if you were to neglect your ownself. Care for yourself first and last..." "

from "Inner Strength for Active Apostles" by Fr Jean-Baptiste Chautard, Sophia Institute Press, Manchester, NH, 2003, pp34-35.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Patty, thanks so much for continuing to contribute to this topic. Very helpful!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version